I see you have browsing of the network working but no where did I see you write about the accounts.
IN SHORT -> If your account is called bob then bob must have an account on the machine he wants to attach to or that message should occur.
In closing. Its a common issue so let's see what you are doing about accounts.
I have the following problem:
- I have a home network which consists of 3 desktops
- 2 of the units run XP Pro SP3, 1 unit runs Vista
- 2 of the units, the XP machines, are connected by wire to a router; the Vista machine is wirelessly connected to the router
- all 3 units connect to the internet w/o a hitch
- 1 XP desktop and the Vista unit can see each other in the workgroup I've defined and can share files and printers w/o any problems at all
- the other XP desktop can see the workgroup, but cannot open it; you get the error message as in the subject title of this thread
- unfortunately, this is the main machine in the house and most of the peripheral hardware (B&W laserprinter, colour inkjet printer, 1TB external HDD) is connected to it, which means that all of that stuff is inaccessible to the other users!
I'm more or less at my wits' end. It all used to work seamlessly and suddenly, from one day to the next, it went pear-shaped. I'm running virus and spyware scans from just about every package I can lay my hands on to discover whether that causes the problem, so far completely w/o any success at all.
Can anybody please, please, shed some light on this?