Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Work Offline" Error

by dyt6270 / April 4, 2007 6:39 AM PDT

I am connected to the internet via ethernet cable to my router. if the internet is not used for about 30 minutes, I get a "Work Offline"
message that says 'No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline.' I can pick either Work Offline or Try Again. Clicking Try Again immediately reconnects to the Internet. Why am I getting this message and why is it disconnecting. This is XP Media Center Edition 2005. Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Work Offline" Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Work Offline" Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connection Drops
by Darton Fury / April 4, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: "Work Offline" Error

Either your browser is configured to drop the connection after 30 minutes of inactivity or this is a restriction imposed by your ISP.

Collapse -
Windows XP: "Work Offline" Error
by theonly1mooner / April 24, 2007 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Connection Drops

I just started getting this error also within the past couple of weeks.
If it's the browser causing it whats the fix. If it's my ISP why would this start now. I've been using this service for the past 7 years.

I was told to reinstall IE. I did that to no avail.

Waiting for any reply

Collapse -
Tell More
by Darton Fury / April 24, 2007 8:03 AM PDT

Are you using Dialup, DSL, Cable?

Collapse -
work offline reso
by leedsbazz / May 3, 2007 8:11 AM PDT

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the File menu, determine whether the Work Offline option is enabled.

Note If this option is enabled, a check mark appears next to Work Offline.

If this option is enabled, go to step 3.
3. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
4. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Connections tab.
5. Make sure that the Never dial a connection option is selected.
6. Click the Advanced tab.
7. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable offline items to be synchronized on a schedule check box, and then click OK.

Collapse -
work offline error message
by Ramnunmawia / March 26, 2008 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: work offline reso

Whenever I start my machine windows Xp pro, this message start showing "work offline" no connection to the internet is currently available , to view internet content that has been save on your computer, click work offline/try again - HOW do I stop showing this message ? Even when I am in the middle of working with other programe
this message suddenly start showing up. Please help.

Collapse -
re work offline
by Ramnunmawia / March 29, 2008 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: work offline reso

But I am sorry to tell you that it still doesn't work.
Please can you refer me another solution

Collapse -
working offline error
by sajane / September 3, 2010 3:59 AM PDT

I have been plagued by this problem recently too. After much frustration,I went the Control Panel, located the Internet Icon and reviewed the Connections tab. My wireless internet router/lan connection was 100% active. Upon closing that tab, I noticed that under VPN connections were other options for connecting to the internet--those pesky things that kept blocking me with message I was working offline--namely Broadband, dial up, and my ISPN's Website. I selected "Remove" for these three items. Upon restarting my computer alls well again.

Collapse -
offline error
by soneal4365 / May 11, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: "Work Offline" Error

if you have downloaded explorer 7.0,you need to uninstall it on control panel add remove programs and then reinstall it,that will fix that problem

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.