Computer Help

General discussion

Wordprocessor for Book writing

by veldleeuw / July 15, 2005 1:17 AM PDT

I am looking for a wordprocessor, to use in writing a book, a novel. In this book, I want to be able to easily place and resize photos, graphics, images in the text.

I'd also like to be able to easily relocate these photos on the same page, or move it to another page, and be able to adjust the text to flow around it, or only have text just above and below the photo.

I'd also like to be able to lock the photo in place, once I am satisfied with the placement of it on the page. But then, if necessary to move it somewhere else, I should also be able to unlock it again.

I'd also like to be able to import text from other sources into the pages and affect placement onto the pages as just as I described for photos.

Of course it would also have to afford me paging capabilities and unlimited page numbering, as I do not know to how many pages the book would grow. Using various types of fonts should not be a problem with most wordprocessors, I expect.

I wonder if Wordperfect 12 would be such a useful wordprocessor to use for writing an illustrated book.

I'd like to get some input from anyone who might have some experiences and/or ideas about that.

Thanks,

John V

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wordprocessor for Book writing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wordprocessor for Book writing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS Word. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 15, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

will do all these things.

Collapse -
Or WordPerfect...
by Dick White / July 15, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Word. . .

But I think the question is less a question of what do YOU want to use, but rather what does your PUBLISHER want? As an old fan of WordPerfect, I think it would do a better job for you, the writer/user, but unfortunately the business world has been all but run over by the Microsoft juggernaut. I would be surprised if the publishing industry were uniquely able to withstand the Word inslaught. Though I don't know for sure what your publisher will demand, I'll buy you coffee if it isn't Word.

dw

Collapse -
Yes, however...
by Yew / July 15, 2005 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Word. . .

If you've ever tried doing any sort of complex formatting with Word, you know that you spend 3-4X longer just fighting with the stupid thing trying to get around it's formatting stupidity.

WordPerfect would probably be the best of the word processor bunch, but I think you'll probably find it lacking in the end. Just not as lacking as Word. I don't think IBM's updated WordPro in some years, and I never really used it enough to really gauge it's abilities, but I wouldn't bet it'd be that great.

To answer the question, you want more of a desktop publishing program, not a word processor. If you've got the cash, Adobe PageMaker, FrameMaker and InDesign. Any of which would be a better fit I think, compared to Word or WordPerfect. From what I've seen, MS Publisher isn't really meant for this sort of thing. If you can wait a bit, or have a Linux or Mac (running OS X), then there's the freeware program Scribus. The Windows port seems to be still too rough to release a binary for. As I understand it, QuarkXpress is also still around.

Any of those would probably work considerably better than Word OR WordPerfect. Trouble is, many of them are not cheap.

Collapse -
Open Office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 4:40 AM PDT

Still one of my favs plus you get free PDF generation to send to your publisher for review.

Bob

Collapse -
writing a book
by sabina_2004 / May 3, 2006 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Open Office.

Hello Bob
I too need help with decision making on what software to use to write a book. I want to write a book about my ancestors which should be more like a glorified thick illustrated magazin which should include various scripts, old documents, maps, including photos and graphics. Like the previous question, I too want to be able to add or move things around.

My question is: which one would work better for this project? I have no need for excel or calculations, like in Open Offic. I have downloaded Open Office and find it great, but was told today by my computer store technician, that MS Word 2003 Pro would be a better choice.
I have read the reviews, but I am very confused still.
I am working with windows xp.

Please can anyone help sort out my problem?
Open Office v. 2 OR
MS Word 2003
or ????

Thank you
Sabina.

Collapse -
Ask why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: writing a book

Since both have nearly equal features why would I want to shell out for Office or Word here? Also, Microsoft never resolved that pesky issue with normal.dot.

Your choice here, I made mine.

Bob

Collapse -
Any of the popular Word Processing programs...
by Edward ODaniel / July 15, 2005 5:30 AM PDT

will do what you want but despite that, if you are wanting it for a novel you would likely discover a Desktop Publishing application to be a better choice. For books and other longer manuscripts Corel Ventura, Adobe InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker, PagePlus, and QuarkXPress are all excellent. You can read up on DTP here http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/08%2D01/chagnon.html

You can even get Serif's PagePlus SE - Desktop Publishing app free for the download (and it does a really good job as well as being easy to learn) at:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PagePlus/default.asp

Nice thing about it being free is that it doesn't cost anything to try it and if it suits your purpose you can either continue to use it or upgrade to their latest commercial version http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplus10/index.asp

Collapse -
Serif Page Plus ............
by sabina_2004 / May 3, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

Hi Daniel,
nolw I am even more confused (see previous posting) and really need some help. I am on page 80 just learning to use Open Office, but today I got really confused with all the other choices and purchased MS Word 2003 PRO for $425 Canadian which I have a feeling, I won't really need. I already have OUtlook Express and don't need Excel.

I started using Open Office and it looks like I might have more than 400 pages when I have finished. But I want to know which of all those programs will do the job. I am not professional, just retired and doing it as a hobby and have no need for it in any office. It is just for my own personal use and having fun writing this kind of oversized illustrated ancestor magazine for my children.
Please help. Anyone.
I love it, but want to make a decision and then get the right program.
Thank you. Now I guess having sent this, I can perhaps find some sleep.
Sabina.

Collapse -
Re: word processing program
by Kees Bakker / May 3, 2006 4:59 PM PDT

Sabina,

All the programs mentioned in this thread are 'right'. You can't make a wrong choice, in fact. Any will do. So don't worry and choose one.

And keep up a sound sleep.

Kees

Collapse -
writing a book with graphics
by sabina_2004 / May 4, 2006 12:53 AM PDT

Hi Kees,
call me dumb, but I need to make sure before I go and return this expensive MS Word 2003 for which I paid a fortune. But I understand that even Open Office Vers. 2 would do the same job as let's say: MS Word or Word Perfect?
In other words, I don't have to buy a Program?
or would Corel or any other desktop application work better or easier?
I am just a beginner, having fun and love my hobby, but I am totally inexperienced with office applications.
Please excuse me, if I am a pain, but the 425 Dollars I spent on MS Word are a lot of dollars if I don't need the program and can achieve the same results with less money.
Please help.
Kind regards,
Sabina.

Collapse -
Word processor dilema
by Faith Truly / May 1, 2009 11:37 AM PDT

Been fight with word processors for years. My notes on the subject are at my website http://smatteringsbooks.com/computer.html under Word Processing How-To Page link and The Right Software for the Right Job link. Scribus and Open Office crashed too easily. Word Perfect with a freeware print to pdf is the way to go if you're self publishing. MS Word or compatible is the way to go if you are submitting your work to a publisher.

Collapse -
Watch those dates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2009 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Word processor dilema

Adding to a 3 year old post is a common sign that someone is promoting their site or spamming the boards.

Collapse -
Watch those dates.
by Faith Truly / July 5, 2009 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Watch those dates.

The other reason a post comes in a few years late is because the WW Web is a giant place and some questions are not solved within a year, so if I come across one I've been struggling with and have input to share... It's not spam. so LOL and happy word processing.

Collapse -
Watching your posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Watch those dates.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.