Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word will not Save/SaveAs/Open

by Justin_i-tech / April 16, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

I have a client who is a Windows 7 Pro x64 user on a domain using Office 2010. When he opens Word and starts a new document, from the File menu, clicking Save, Save As or Open will do nothing but return him to the Home tab viewing the document. There is no error, no indication that Word is trying to do something, it just goes back to the document view.

I checked his Save options to see what the default save location is and it is set to save to the network share, but pressing the Browse button to the right has no effect.

It appears that any action that Word tries to do that requires opening a browse window fails. If I select Save and Send from the File menu, I can successfully email the document, but it is titled Document1, but doesn't save it in the default location for the machine. Tried starting Word in Safe mode and get the same result. When I log in to the computer using admin creds, Word works just fine. I logged in as another user who had never logged in to that computer before and it worked fine. Tried renaming his account profile and forcing Windows to create a new user profile for him, but it wouldn't create the new profile, if pushed it into a temporary user account. Thinking it might have been something quirky or corrupted with his domain account, I logged in to another computer in the domain using his creds and Word works fine, his profile gets created normally.

I deleted Normal.dotm; I deleted the Word registry entries in HK_CU_Software_Microsoft_Office_14.0; I have attempted repair installations twice. My next step is to uninstall and reinstall Word, then a complete system wipe. I'm hesitant, though, because Word works on other user profiles.

What am I missing? Any other suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word will not Save/SaveAs/Open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word will not Save/SaveAs/Open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried doing a REPAIR?
by wpgwpg / April 16, 2013 4:16 AM PDT

You should be able to go to the Programs & Features applet of the Control Panel and do a repair. When you find the Microsoft Office entry, right-click it and click Change. Then click Repair. That has worked for me in the past. I'd also boot to Safe Mode and do a check for viruses. You could also go to an elevated command prompt and issue the command sfc /scannow to check for corrupt system files.

Good luck.

Collapse -
That user profile issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

Sorry but you appear to repeating the old corrupt profile issue. It's classic and annoying as well as over a decade old. You can read Microsoft's response to this issue and it's nothing short of amazing they write they call it "repair" when you abandon the old profile!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.