Mac Hardware forum

Word processing quits unexpectedly

by djohlson / March 14, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

I have 3 word processing software--OpenOffice, NeoOffice and Pages. Several days ago, I could not copy anything to either one. Almost immediately, I get the msg. that the word processing has quit unexpectedly. I thought I figured it out when I got an iCloud message asking for my password and update. I complied and the word processing worked. Doesn't make sense, but it did. But, shortly thereafter it reverted to "quit unexpectedly." At one point, I was able to copy text. But when I hit save it quit. Now, I can't open the software at all. All 3 do the same abort.
What can I do to get word processing to work?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word processing quits unexpectedly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word processing quits unexpectedly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Could be a virus you have
by wpgwpg / March 14, 2013 5:13 AM PDT

I'd boot to Safe Mode and scan for viruses.

Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) Please!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 8:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Take the Mulligan!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 8:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
What happens if you turn off your WiFi?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

And did you fall for that antivirus trap? That is, did you install an antivirus?

Now, when you post you should supply details. Without it I'm going to take your word it's a new machine, new user and as such is well inside the warranty so the advice is simple. Back to Apple and have them fix your Apple.

Collapse -
Word Processor problem
by djohlson / March 14, 2013 11:37 AM PDT

No, I don't have an antivirus. My iMac is 3 years old. I thought I gave details. What more would help you to understand my problem?

Collapse -
You didn't drink the "Macs don't get viruses"
by wpgwpg / March 14, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Word Processor problem

cool-aid did you? If so, you're sorely mistaken. Do you drive without a spare tire and live with no insurance too?

Collapse -
Please supply details of the virus's
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 10:23 PM PDT

that are currently circulating and that successfully attack Mac OS X.

Not the little bits of Java/Flash malware, or the "proof of concept" trials but actual virus's.

Collapse -
I've seen Carol post some
by wpgwpg / March 15, 2013 8:17 AM PDT

Don't you and Carol both work for CNET. You should check with her.

Collapse -
So you know of none then?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

you are the one who broached the subject, now provide the proof.

Neither I nor Carol work for CNET

Collapse -
How about 200,000
by wpgwpg / March 15, 2013 9:04 AM PDT

Actually you told the OP to check for viruses, did you not have a reason? If you do a quick Google search, you'll see 200,000 hits here:^BND410^YY^US&shad=s_0042&gct=ds&apn_ptnrs=AGA&lang=en&atb=sysid%3D410%3Aappid%3D0%3Auid%3D174fdb4877db9bd2%3Auc%3D1326903330%3Asrc%3Dffb%3Ao%3DAPN10649

Is that enough for you? Are you afraid to talk to Carol who is your co-worker? What are you trying to prove? Do you think the likes of Norton and McAfee would bother to write antivirus programs for the Mac for no reason? I fail to see any logic to your post.

Collapse -
Sorry to see that you fall for the hype
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: How about 200,000

200,000 hits is indeed impressive but, when you look at where the hits are, you would have noticed that most of them refer to the same place.
Even with all those hits, you still did not provide the names of any OS X virus's that you believe are out there.

Yes, I do believe, as do many others, that both Norton and McAfee would bother writing AV programs but not for no reason. There reason is that they do it for the MONEY!
Look at the huge, untapped market out there. Let's make ourselves lots of money by selling AV programs to Mac users. We will not tell them what virus's it's looking for, we'll just hype up the few bits of malware, which OS X catches itself, and the few "proof of concept" ones that have never left the lab. We'll sit back while Sophos does the main shouting which will get picked up by everyone and result in 200,000 hits on Google, thus boosting our sales.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I am asking you to do that.

Take a read of this article, especially the first two lines:

If you feel that you need AV, then use it, meanwhile I will continue to not use it, as I have for the last 30 years.

Collapse -
Look at this link
by wpgwpg / March 16, 2013 3:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmmm, a Trojan, not a Virus!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at this link

As my link pointed out, there is a great difference between the two and I explicitly asked you not to bring up the Flash malware thing which did NOT attack OS X but did exploit Flash and ultimately Java.

Most AV software does not find malware, you did note that none of the methods for removing this trojan involved the use of AV software.

Try to refrain from the insults, although they are usual for people who are not doing well in a discussion.

Collapse -
So far, no virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at this link

It's something hard to find still.

Collapse -
Did you try the idea I presented?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Word Processor problem

I don't see where you did.

And before we go asking about permission repairs and such, try another user account.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.