Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Word Perfect won't print

by HiGear / August 25, 2004 4:20 AM PDT

I am using Windows XP and I can print from any program including notepad, wordpad,excel,quatro, pics, etc....but I am unable to print from wordperfect. I click print or <file> then <print> and a small window pops up that says "preparing document" but nothing ever prints.

Also...if this is possibly related, when I shutdown or re-boot windows won't shutdown because some program called "sample" is running and will not respond. I have to click <END NOW> to shut down the program.

How do I find this stubborn program called "SAMPLE" that continues to run in the back ground so that I can delete it? I have already talked to word perfect help line and after extensive "help" he gave up because he thinks that this "SAMPLE" program running in background is not allowing word perfect to send document to the printer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you very much

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word Perfect won't print
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word Perfect won't print
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Word Perfect won't print. NIMDA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

Not all versions of Word Perfect work in XP. I read your post twice and didn't see what version. There were a few.

In closing, you may want to look into tools like Spybot, Adaware and see if you find a parasite on the machine. You should look up STINGER to see if you can kill off the apparent NIMDA infection.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1092699970

You may have revealed that you don't run an antivirus or it's out of date (way out!)
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Word Perfect won't print. NIMDA?
by HiGear / August 25, 2004 5:22 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I use Norton anti-virus and Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm. I did have some kind of bug recently. I had some one re-install windows to get rid of it...when he was re-installing my programs he said that that pesky "SAMPLE" program did not show up until he installed Quicken. I have un-installed Quicken now and that program is still there everytime I try to shutdown. Maybe I should just start all over again and re-install windows all over again. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Why work hard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2004 5:36 AM PDT

Try an online virus scan such as Housecall or Panda.

Also, you could use MSCONFIG or another tool to control that program.

In closing, I dropped a hint that the version of Word Perfect may be a factor. Maybe you can tell?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Word Perfect won't print
by Papa Echo / August 25, 2004 2:16 PM PDT

If 'Sample' caused the printing problem, it would most probably cause the problem "across the board". Anyway, which version of Word Perfet? 9? 11? 12 ?
Did you download and install SP 2 ? At File>Print, did the Printer Name still show up your default prnter ?

Collapse -
Word Perfect printing is different.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

It depends on the version of WordPerfect, but for years WP would render output to the printer rather than let Windows do it. This solves the issue about documents will look and print almost identically across machines, OS and printers. But it impacted WP's capability and support staff. I'd rather not write in depth all this implies.

But it does mean that versions can be a factor here.

Bob

Collapse -
word perfect and windows xp
by patjean / July 25, 2008 1:21 AM PDT

i have almost the exact same problem with word perfect 11. the sample you talk about doesn't appear. i reloaded word perfect and it still does the same. i have an epson stylus 7400 which seems to work fine otherwise.

Collapse -
WP won't print
by ksredmond / August 29, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

My Wordperfect 12 has stopped printing to any printer. I use three different printers and WP used to work fine with each one, but now I cannot print from WP 12 at all, nor can I convert a file to PDF.
First the application became unstable when I tried to print; now -- nothing. When I shut down the computer, I get the message that PrintServer is not responding. (No "Sample" in the background.)

I can print from any other application. I've been a Wordperfect user for 18 years & don't want to give it up!

Collapse -
Check that WPU forum post?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: WP won't print
Collapse -
Corel's KB
by ksredmond / August 29, 2008 11:00 AM PDT

Here's where I get stuck on the support info. When I try to edit the registry (whatever that means) I follow the instruction up to the "envelope" instruction. There is no such folder in my string.

The instructions read:
"Click on ?Start? and go up to ?Run?
Type in regedit into the ?Open:? box. Click on ?OK?
Scroll up to the top of your screen until you see ?My Computer?
Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Corel
Right click on the folder ?PrintEngine? and go down and left click on ?Rename?. Change the name to PrintEngineOld
Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Corel\WordPerfect\14 ('13', '12', '11' or ?10' if your using that version)
Right click on the folder ?Envelope? and go down and left click on ?Rename?. Change the name to EnvelopeOld"

No envelope...

Collapse -
There was a similar repair
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Corel's KB

And the member stopped at just such a missing entry. If only they had moved to the next 2 steps in the link I had given them the problem would have been cured. So did you stop or try to get it done?

Collapse -
It worked~
by ksredmond / August 29, 2008 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Corel's KB

I tried the putting a shortcut to Printserver 120 on the Startup and now I'm printing!!!

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
THE PROBLEM IS WORDPERFECT!
by psychobird / December 17, 2010 9:21 PM PST

This happens with EVERY version of Wordperfect. It happens on my home computer and my work computer. It happens no matter what printer you have or no matter what windows version you have. It happens to other people I know as well - and even our work computer experts can't figure it out. HERE'S THE SOLUTION: STOP BUYING WORDPERFECT. I used to swear by WordPerfect and used to LOVE it. But since the COREL GRAPHIC people took it over - it SUCKS! Don't give them a PENNY of your money. And if your new computer comes with it - tell the manufacturer YOU DON'T WANT IT!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.