Computer Help forum

General discussion

Word opening problem with a mswrd632 error mentioned

by ghada_eloud / December 12, 2009 6:29 AM PST

I have windows XP; Got a word file from a collegue and I can't open it on my computer. The error mentioned is Mswrd632.
Can u tell me how to solve the problem and if it's a converter I should download, would u please give me a site from where to download.
Tx a lot.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word opening problem with a mswrd632 error mentioned
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word opening problem with a mswrd632 error mentioned
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Word opening problem with a mswrd632 error mentioned
by nirru / December 17, 2009 10:25 PM PST

Have a look at the link :

There are 2 solutions. If you don't want your machine to be vulnerable then just go ahead with this option:

When a file has the ".doc" file name extension, but the content is a plain text file or another kind of file that is not a Microsoft Word binary file, and that file is opened in Microsoft Word, you may receive the following error message up to three times before Microsoft Office Word successfully opens the file:
Word cannot start the converter mswrd632

To resolve this issue, an affected user can unregister the mswrd632 converter by editing the registry as follows:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Import\MSWord6.wpc
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
This change will effectively unregister the converter and disable it for third-party applications and for Microsoft Office. Microsoft Office will use its own text converters to open these kinds of files.

Collapse -
Word opening problem still exist!
by ghada_eloud / December 17, 2009 11:08 PM PST

At the begining, Tx a lot for ur message..I did the delete in the registry but still opening with a window saying: File converter at the top.. and encoding problem. To mention that it's an english document. I search for english encoding to check it but it doesn't exist. I tried the french encoding, still opening with unknown letters!
If u can find a solution, I would be so greatful.
Tx a lot.

Collapse -
Word opening problem still exist!
by nirru / December 20, 2009 3:37 PM PST

Can u tell me how did u created that document?
Also r u trying with office word or wordpad?

If u can clarify above things I will be in a position to help u further

Collapse -
Word Converter Error
by CharleeSnap / February 3, 2010 7:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Can't see relevance
by AndrewDillon / June 13, 2011 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Word Converter Error

Can't see anything at that link that's relevant to this. And there's no Fix It.

Collapse -
You bet, you win.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2011 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't see relevance

Microsoft has revamped so the link is dead.

Collapse -
Error Message
by Joan2376 / March 8, 2010 10:21 PM PST

I have Windows XP. I received an e-mail with an attachment. I could not open the attachment. The message was Word could not start the converter "MSWORD632. The same person sent me another e-mail with an attachemtn, I had no problem opening that e-mail. Any help would be appreciated. Also, could the problem be on her computer?

Collapse -
Tried Using The Fix From This Link?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 9, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Error Message
Collapse -
by peggylenox / June 16, 2011 6:12 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS 400 desktop. Because of a lightening caused power outage, I was unable to boot up my computer. After about 6 frustrating hours on the telephone with Dell support, it did come back and repair itself. Only problem so far is about 20 of my documents will not open. Hey show as "curly line"$name of file. It said I needed to download mswrd632, but it wouldn't. Another forum said to go into registry and delete it. I did, didn't work either. I put the original works Suite 2006 disc that contains Words 2002 -- still can't get them. ANy suggestions? I don't know what the Dell technician did, but he was doing alot of stuff while he had control of my computer. Help greatly appreciated. Peggy

Collapse -
What documents?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: MSWRD632

Are they "Word" documents?

If so we have a few ways to open them. If they are CORRUPT due to a power outage this is where or when most learn that we backup what we can't lose. (Moderators here have a saying "We only lose what we didn't backup.")

Ok, here's the OTHER WAYS without details beyond the titles.

1. Upload them to google docs and see if it understands them. (Neat because it's a zero install method.)
2. Install Open Office and try to open them with that.
3. Install your Microsoft Office and try again. Works Suite 2006 notes this is "The full version of Word 2002" so installing that should have been enough but try:

Collapse -
Word Documents
by peggylenox / June 16, 2011 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: What documents?

THey were exactly the same kind of documents as many more that weren't touched and are readable. I don't especially want to Install Microsoft Office again and take a chance olosing other documents. There are only about 25 of them and only a few that are important. I could type them again. I'll try what you about google docs. I had backed them up, but when Dell did a full backup preparing to reset XPS, it went on the same drive and over wrote the good ones. The errors appear on the back up too. The good news is that XPS repaired itself and now seems to be running just fine without reseting. Hooray! Peggy

Collapse -
While you have good copies, now is the time to put
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Word Documents

Now would be a good time to put a spare copy somewhere safe. These forums are full of stories where a spare copy would have saved the day.

Collapse -
Good copies
by peggylenox / June 17, 2011 1:02 AM PDT

Hi: I do have copies of all documents on an external hard drive. It's just these 25 docs that I can't get into and haven't been able to figure out what happened as they are the same Word documents as all the rest that are readable. Before the Dell technician worked on my computer (on-line) they were all readable, but by the time he finished these few all had the squigle and $ where first two letters should be. I dread having to deal with Dell tech again, but maybe I should. Peggy

Collapse -
Good Copies Found
by peggylenox / June 17, 2011 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Good copies

Curiouser and curiouser! I just checked my backup file again and found, in addition to the wierd files that wouldn't open, copies of them that would. Sure wish I knew how that happened, but I'm glad to have found the and have copied them to my regular file.

Collapse -
by lotnik15 / April 23, 2010 10:41 PM PDT

Ten sam problem jak ni

Collapse -
Maybe it's the filename extension...
by lenorej / June 22, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

Please try renaming the document: If it has a ".doc" extension, try ".docx".

I recently received a Word 2007 document that had somehow "lost" the "x" from the filename extension. When I renamed it, my copy of Word (2003), with the Office 2007 Compatibility Patch applied, opened it with no problem.

Collapse -
word opening problem with a mswrd632 error mentioned
by peter.burke / September 14, 2010 2:09 AM PDT

Can you advise on how to solve this problem as I followed some advice elsewhere but still have the problem

Collapse -
More info needed...
by lenorej / September 18, 2010 3:17 AM PDT

Please give your O/S, and the version of Office you are running. Also, what's the filename extension?

Collapse -
Opening word document
by yousuf2211 / January 3, 2011 3:03 AM PST

Word cannot start the convertero mswrd632. Applies only to ceratin files previously saved in word 2003.

Have an XP, microsoft office 2007

Collapse -
And You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2011 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Opening word document
Collapse -
Shouldn't need a text convertor
by AndrewDillon / June 13, 2011 12:20 AM PDT
In my case, no text convertor should be needed. It was created using Word 2000, and that's what I have installed.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.