Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Word files suddenly become read only

by 1Chris / September 30, 2008 8:27 AM PDT

What could cause my Word files to suddenly become read-only?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word files suddenly become read only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word files suddenly become read only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you tell more?
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2008 4:58 PM PDT

In Word you save a file as .doc and it gets a read-only attribute in the properties in Windows Explorer?
Or something else?

What version of Word?
No problems in Excel?
What OS?

Kees

Collapse -
Word files suddenly become read-only
by 1Chris / October 1, 2008 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you tell more?

I'm using Office 97 in Vista. I know, many really weird quirks, but at least it's been functioning normally for what I'm using it right now.
I've had files for weeks, months, and sometimes years that I occassionally add to and resave with the same name. Normally no problem at all. Sometimes I open one and it's read-only; how did that happen?

Collapse -
Have any of these files
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 1, 2008 9:45 PM PDT

been stored on a CD/DVD recently, and then copied back over to the hard drive?

If so, copying them to CD/DVD makes them Read only, and copying them back will keep that attribute.

Mark

Collapse -
You didn't answer ...
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2008 9:51 PM PDT

my question about the read-only attribute in the properties of the file (in My Computer or Windows Explorer). So Mark had to guess that that's the problem.
That's why I asked.

Kees

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2008 10:19 PM PDT

The read only issue popped up on Windows XP running Word 97. What some discovered was Word was opening the file twice and the second time you get the read only notification. For Windows XP the fix was easy. Don't open documents from Explorer but from Word.

Remember that no permanent fix was every offered to this and the other anomalies. But why should this be an issue since almost everything you can do in Word 97 can be done in Open Office and you can keep your files in Word 97 format.
Bob

Collapse -
Read only word files
by rc_curry / April 15, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

What could cause my Word files to suddenly become read-only?

Collapse -
(NT) Are you running Word 97?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Read only word files
Collapse -
Word documents suddenly become "read only" while revising
by bikerslady / May 7, 2009 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Read only word files

I am using Word 2003 with XP Home operating system. Over the past week Word has decided to make files that I am currently working on "read only" and I have to create a new file. The original document is not a read only file when opened, it happens a few minutes into revising the document. Any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it?

Collapse -
This problem is still occuring
by planetrock333 / January 25, 2010 2:41 AM PST

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 with Office 2007 Professional. I hoped the problem would stop, but it still continues.

My files are not on a network, they are on my laptop under My Documents. None of them are marked as "Read Only", and I can open them and make updates and save them.

However, often after saving them a few times, the file will suddenly become read only. At that point the only thing I can do it save it with another name, or undo the changes, trying to remember what they were, reopen the file, and redo the changes.

This is silly that Microsoft has left this bug in for so long. It's not hard to recreate. I get it several times a week. If it has something to do with automatic updates, then that should give them a clue as to where to start looking to solve the problem.

For what I paid for this software, I really thought these issues would have been addressed.

Collapse -
Next question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 3:33 AM PST

Did you report the bug?

MSFT has a boatload of HOTFIXes you only gain access to if you call such bugs in. I make no apology that such bug fixes are more secret than the Russian Moon Base. They seem to be that secretive.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: recreate
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 26, 2011 10:40 PM PST

It's very difficult to recreate, because it happens with practically nobody. With you, and with asr693 below, and maybe a few others who don't post here, but it doesn't happen with the overwhelming majority of Word users.
So something must be different with you. Now the big question: what is that?

Kees

Collapse -
I am having the same issue with XP and Office Word 2007
by RosemaryH2 / June 17, 2011 1:39 AM PDT

When this happens, Save As... with the same name in a different directory - I usually just go one level up - then exit Word and move the file back into the original directory, overwriting the original file.

This is also a good technique to use on Word or PowerPoint files containing pictures, as it often reduces the file size considerably.

I am trying opening the file from within Word rather than from Windows Explorer. So far, so good.

Collapse -
Don't try and save while the file is still updating
by RosemaryH2 / June 20, 2011 1:07 PM PDT

I experienced the problem when I was working with a document into which I was pasting screenshots from a course I was taking. When I hit Ctrl-V, although the picture appeared immediately, it took Word a few seconds to update the file - I could see the little 'write' icon moving at the bottom of my screen. As long as I waited for that to finish before hitting the Save button, the problem did not happen. I also made sure that Word was not auto-saving the file at the same time as I was saving it.

Collapse -
or undo the changes, trying to remember what they were
by what_ever-2 / May 24, 2012 8:47 PM PDT

What I do, when this annoying thing happens to me on Microsoft XP, is I simply copy the document using edit / select all / copy, then paste it on to a new document, close the one that's gone 'read only' (which is nerve racking but has to be done) then save the new document in the old name.

Collapse -
Word doc suddenly becomes read-only
by DJuneS / January 7, 2014 3:36 AM PST

This started yesterday, on documents I created and never shared. Last week all my word documents were opening in review-mode. Now read-only mode. It's been a long time since Word has been an efficient word processing program.
I'm using Word 2010
OS Win 7 Professional
Jan 7, 2014

Collapse -
Word files suddenly become read only on a read/write dvd
by recyling / February 1, 2010 5:27 AM PST

why would dvd word file suddenly become read only on a read/write dvd?

Collapse -
That's the way it's designed.
by Kees Bakker / February 1, 2010 10:33 PM PST

Not only for Word-files, by the way. For all files.

Kees

Collapse -
License?
by knowledgenotebook / June 20, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

Could it be that you were using an eval copy of Word by any chance? fyi, I'm using Open Office now, not bad.

Collapse -
Besides the eval period being up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

I found out years ago to not leave my sole copy on read/write dvd or even to attempt to edit files on such media.

While the software that makes this happen does it best to "wear level" and more, one glitch and the contents do very odd things or just vanish. This is why I would edit my content on the normal HDD then copy it to my DVDRW at the end of the day for safety.

"We only lose what we didn't backup." (CNET Moderators)
Bob

Collapse -
Happens all the time
by Scapergal / February 13, 2013 4:47 AM PST

This happens all the time to me and it's incredibly frustrating.
I am constantly having to resave a file with a different name.
When you're writing a book it's incredibly annoying having to resave every time you add a few paragraphs or chapters.
I'm using Windows XP and MS Word 2003
The suggested online fix is to uncheck the "Read Only" box in properties but many times it's not checked and it also involves going out of the document to do that which means you either have to save as a new version or lose your changes

Collapse -
I share your pain ...
by PhilipCohen2 / February 13, 2013 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Happens all the time

Interesting, I still use Office 2003 and when I was using XP I had no trouble (only very rarely with an open Excel file that I was constantly saving); only when I upgraded to Win 7 did the sky start falling on my Word file "saves" (Excel files seem OK now!!!) ...

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft would at least acknowledge that there is a problem ...

Collapse -
Same issue
by asj693 / January 25, 2011 3:39 AM PST

I'm having the same issues. I open a file made in Word2010 and saved as docx file. I work in it and use ctrl S it saves a few times then it suddenly (doesn't appear to be a pattern) converts to read-only and I have to rename the file.

Collapse -
This happens to me also
by whmscl / July 18, 2011 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

It is completely frustrating. It is not an eval version of Word, it is not a networked file (it is my own file on my laptop), it is opened using Word, it has nothing to do with a CD/DVD (it was created using Word on my laptop) and none of the other possible reasons people have posted about on here. I am running Windows 7 and Word 2010 but have had this problem with earlier operating systems and software versions. After the document has been edited and saved a few times Word simply decides to make the document read-only. I don't WANT to have to re-name it, save it somewhere else, then move it later. Why should I have to do this? There must be some way to fix this problem.

Collapse -
You don't say?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

If the file is on the CD, it matters but you didn't write if there was or was not a CD in play.

Collapse -
Help! me too
by emted / July 27, 2011 5:50 AM PDT

This is happening to me, were you able to fix it??

Collapse -
No problem here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2011 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Help! me too

Just uncheck the readonly box in properties or Explorer.

The cause is somewhat of a mystery but the clue is the use of the CD.
Bob

Collapse -
That's not it
by POWERlessUSER / January 22, 2012 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: No problem here.

This started happening to me today. Some facts:

1. There is no CD. I created two files from scratch within Word (Office 2007 SP2, fully licensed). I saved them under the names I wanted. I occasionally used the "Save" icon to save my changes. At different times, both files suddenly refused to save and gave the (Read only) tag in the title bar.
2. The properties box still shows "Read only" as UNCHECKED. The properties are not editable.
3. It has now happened twice for one of the files; I'm on the third different file name.

I had never seen this problem before in years of use.

Collapse -
Please start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: That's not it

The usual ideas are already covered. Including the folder permissions, inheritance and more.

I have seen this problem many times and unless I get on the machine to figure out what's different we have to work the usual angles. In other words, GUESS.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem -For "Save as" I created a new file name.
by Joelg5 / February 4, 2013 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: That's not it

Same Problem -For "Save as" I created a new file name.-

Instead of xyz1, I did a "save as" xyz2.

very annoying, as been using Word 2003 (bought just days before 2007 came out, by necessity) on Vista. Never happened before. Using Word for many years, and suddenly. Other people telling me same thing is happening to them with mysterious Word maladies. Perhaps Microsoft does this "accidentally, on purpose" to try to "motivate" people to give them more money for new versions.

Collapse -
I have had some success with this:
by profray / May 15, 2013 7:17 AM PDT

I have run into the same problem with swapping documents back and forth on our home network with mine and my wife's computer. I would write, she would copy off my drive onto hers, edit it and give it back. Then mine (or her's, depended on settings) would become open read only.
Problem was with auto-save. The auto-save location stays with the document, so if you move the document to another computer, it can't find the old auto-save location and locks out any attempt to save the document again.
Solution: Uncheck the Auto-save feature in Word options.

Another similar problem is with templates that you are supposed to use for conference or journal papers. Sometimes the template location gets set to a local folder so when you copy the document and try to open it elswhere, word can't find the template and will only let you open with read only.

Solution: Copy template with document into same folder and make sure that your document is pointing to the local template.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.