Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Word 2000

by rlaboss1 / December 15, 2009 4:56 AM PST

Windows 7 won't even begin to install my Word 2000 disc. I had trouble with the Vista OS too, it wouldn't recognize the product key.
Not compatible?
Thanks again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Word 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Word 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Worked on Vista 64.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2009 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Word 2000

Sorry but I don't have a way to test on 7 yet. The invalid key is however a bad sign.
Bob

Collapse -
As a general rule
by Jimmy Greystone / December 15, 2009 8:30 AM PST

As a general rule, if an app doesn't work on the previous version of Windows, it's highly unlikely it will work any better on subsequent versions.

Collapse -
Open Office
by R_Head / December 15, 2009 12:21 PM PST

Try this Office Suite http://www.openoffice.org/ is free and does a lot for the price of $0.00

I do not have a copy or own a copy or a hack copy of any MS products and Open Office works extremely well and is really close to Office 2003 in looks. Except for few changes since Copyright laws does not like copycats.

It does what MS Office Does for nothing.

If you need a Mail Client, use Mozilla Thunderbird or use the Seamonkey Browser that is just like Firefox. One of the applications integrated in the Browser is Mail Client that is just like Thunderbird.

Mozilla Sunbird is calendar program and is also license free.

Collapse -
Run setup in Compatibility mode
by Mannar_Mannan / December 15, 2009 9:37 PM PST

choose the setup file.right click->select Troubleshoot compatibility..this will run the program in Compatibility mode and your word 2000 might work..

Collapse -
Tutorial
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 17, 2009 7:46 AM PST
Collapse -
My Word 2000 Works Now in 7
by coltranematrix / September 11, 2011 11:45 AM PDT

For those who stumbled on this post looking to find out how to get Word 2000 to install and work in Windows 7 Ultimate. I just tried the above advice and Word 2000 installed and now runs on my PC (compatible with XP service pack 2).

Collapse -
It was this advice
by coltranematrix / September 11, 2011 11:48 AM PDT

"choose the setup file.right click->select Troubleshoot
compatibility..this will run the program in Compatibility mode and your
word 2000 might work.."

Collapse -
Office 2000 Premium and Windows 7
by mdrlang / February 1, 2010 5:20 PM PST

Excel, Access and Powerpoint 2000 work fine in new 7... Word will not go! I own 2003 and 2007 but they stink at catalog merge.... Am on 64 bit... but Vista 64 bit worked with Word 2000...
I am now on intel quad core with 6 gigs of RAM... Windows 7
It seems to be a 32 bit verses 64 bit issue?
I really need to run this old Word!

Collapse -
Re: Office 2000
by Kees Bakker / February 1, 2010 5:25 PM PST
Collapse -
compatibility
by TaraS_WinTeam / February 2, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Since you have added onto a post that is two months old, a little more information would be useful. Are your running Office 2007 in compatibility mode or using XP mode or a Virtual PC?

Office 2000 is not compatible with Windows 7 so you will need a work around or an upgrade. I am not sure what you are doing with 2000 that you cannot do with later versions.

Cheers,
Tara

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.