Desktops forum

Question

wont boot sometimes

by smagrum / February 5, 2013 12:23 AM PST

Ok so my computers been acting up and completely freezing a lot and then when i restart it sometimes it won't even boot up and it will just stay a blank screen with a white courser blinking in the corner. And sometimes it'll make it to the gateway logo then freeze ..if im lucky it will actually start up and ill have a working computer for a couple hours (till it freezes again)
Help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wont boot sometimes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wont boot sometimes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be numerous things
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: wont boot sometimes

How old is your computer? It could be overheating. It could be a failing hard drive. It could be a virus or other malware. It could be failing capacitors on the motherboard. You can check the temps by downloading SpeedFan. Temps under 50 degrees C are good, over 65 a problem, in between bears watching. To check your hard drive, run chkdsk and let it check for bad sectors. To check for malware, boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan. To check capacitors, remove the cover and look for swollen and/or leaky ones. To check for corrupt system files, go to the command prompt and issue the command: sfc /scannow .

Good luck.

Collapse -
what now?
by smagrum / February 5, 2013 6:32 AM PST

Ok well its not the temp or capacitors. I ran chkdsk and found no problems. Now when I did the system scan it said "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" and said the details are in the CBS.log which i went to but it kept saying access denied (even though i'm the system admin)

Next Steps?

Collapse -
You have to copy that CBS.log file to read.
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: what now?

You have to copy that CBS.log file to read, I guess that's because Windows has it open for writing. So just copy it to another folder and then you can open it in something like Wordpad. I warn you that this file is very cryptic, so don't be surprised if it's hard to dechiper.

Another cryptic log you can check is the system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
I found it, but
by smagrum / February 5, 2013 11:24 AM PST

Below is what the log says the error is but I feel like its not whats causing all my problems. But ill let someone with a little more computer knowledge than me figure that out.

"2013-02-05 16:44:03, Info CSI 000002e6 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-02-05 16:44:03, Info CSI 000002e7 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-sidebar_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_2ce6c04cdc275758\settings.ini do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" :
Found: {l:32 b:ntPb8a3owMmbzl2TXFHogrOTUqnXgzASIdBVmJptaGE=} Expected: {l:32 b:v6OQf2AJO5FVbRBJuIwXxkdkCoOaSk3y0ol6uTH491o=}"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.