Mac OS

General discussion

Won't run games, says I need Plug-ins. Don't know how to get

by pacifist / October 20, 2005 10:05 AM PDT

plugins . One of the messages said I did not have a
X-shockwave-flash plug in but where do I find them and install same.
I have a:
MAC OS overview finder 9.1 quicktime 6.0.3
CarbonL ib 1.5 multible users 1.3.1
Disk cache 6144k Virtual memory 202mb Built in 192mb
External L2 cache 512k Harware over view
Machine ID 67 Model PowerMacintosh 9600
Processor info PowerPC 604e
Machine Speed 200mhz
I am new to mac and know nothing of their operation. Looking for any assistance. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Won't run games, says I need Plug-ins. Don't know how to get
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Won't run games, says I need Plug-ins. Don't know how to get
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shockwave
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 20, 2005 10:35 AM PDT

The site that said you did not have Shockwave also directed you to the site where you download it.
Go to Macromedia.com to download the OS 9.x.x version.
The spec information you are quoting does not have a lot to do with your problem. Your machine is best described as a PowerMac 9600 with 192Mb RAM and running OS 9.1.

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
I Will Try That
by pacifist / October 20, 2005 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Shockwave

thanks for your help and I will get back to you

Collapse -
I also notice when I download a game
by pacifist / October 20, 2005 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I Will Try That

that it ends up on my desktop, then when I click it , it states it can't open because it can't find the program that generated it. Confusing , this is my 1st mac I always used windows before

Collapse -
Downloads
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 20, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

You can make your web browser put downloaded files into any folder you wish. I have one on the desktop called downloaded files and set the preferences of the browser to put all downloaded files in there.
Downloaded files are usually compressed and have a .sit, .bin, .sitx, .hqx suffix on them. You need the free stuffit expander for this. Make sure you download the OS 9 version. Use google to find the web site.
Make sure that the game you are downloading is for OS 9 and NOT for OS X or for a Windows machine. Your machine will not run OS X games and will not run WIndows programs.

When you think about it, it's not really confusing. Where did the files you downloaded on your PC go? Were they ever .ZIP files? Same thing here only a little different.
Keep going

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.