Computer Help forum

General discussion

Won't let me type into search boxes

by Pavilion_zt3010us / July 16, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

Dell desktop Dimension 4100 series Y2K model. Pentium III 933mhz Windows 2000 Professional.

This is weird. I can click into then type in the address bar with no problem.

BUT when it comes to search boxes like Google and even the search box at the top of this page, I am not able to click the cursor on in the boxes and type into them. I can click on the GO buttons next to the search boxes and that works. Just can't get the cursor to appear in search boxes. HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Won't let me type into search boxes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Won't let me type into search boxes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Edit to post:
by Pavilion_zt3010us / July 16, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

Well the problem is a bit more than just the search box.
I realize I can't do anything on an open page like clicking on the page itself,high lighting,copy and paste and typing in the search boxes.

I got this computer as a freebie and I am just getting into it. My guess is the previous owner couldn't figure it out and just bought a new computer instead.

I've tried switching the mouse,looked at settings in the control panel but I just haven't hit the right combination yet.

Collapse -
What do you do about spyware/viruses?
by Yew / July 16, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

My guess would be you've got some spyware messing with things, though it does seem like kind of an odd symptom.

Collapse -
This may help
by roddy32 / July 17, 2005 12:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Great call
by Pavilion_zt3010us / July 17, 2005 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: This may help

After my initial post my wife tried a few things and just before returning to the forum she said "I did it"
It was exactly what you said IEFIX.
Thanks and have a sunny day!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome, glad it's fixed. :D
by roddy32 / July 17, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Great call
Collapse -
Even better
by Yew / July 17, 2005 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: This may help

Instead of trying to fix something that's just going to break again... Get something that's considerably less broken to begin with... Like Firefox or Opera.

Even those people who literally run a car into the ground end up having to admit defeat at some point. Admitting that they either can't fix the heap any more, or it costs more than it would to just get a new one. At some point, as much as you may love some clunker of a car/browser, it's time to move on to something better. And on pretty much any objective metric you use, Firefox and Opera beat out IE.

Collapse -
That is right in there with 'format and reinstall'
by Edward ODaniel / July 17, 2005 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Even better

but won't help if one prefers MSIE or if one NEEDS MSIE for any reason and there anr many reasons that one using Windows will require the use of MSIE. (How is firefox with VB Script--no support you say?)

A quick but partial fix or work-around is not a solution if it doesn't solve the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.