Phones

General discussion

Wolfson Audio Chips -List all phones

by Gatordoug / March 2, 2013 10:58 PM PST

Is there a list out there of all Wolfson Chip Phones. Which phones have Wolfson Chips through 2013 ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wolfson Audio Chips -List all phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wolfson Audio Chips -List all phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why?
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2013 12:48 AM PST

Just curious before I help you.

Collapse -
wolfson
by Gatordoug / March 3, 2013 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

Because no one reviews audio music quality on their phone review. I gurantee nore people care then processor speed

Collapse -
Cnet does not Review Audio(music) quality on Cell Phones
by Gatordoug / March 3, 2013 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

I emailed one of the Reviewers with Cnet asking the question and never got a response. If cell phones are replacing small digital cameras these days photo quality then why not phones replacing ipods, thus giving us audio quality....? Why are we not reviewing Audio quality as we do photo quality on every Cnet review. I use more time on music then photos, and I bet so do most people. And photo quality can be as subjective as audio sound, so that is no excuse for not reviewing Audio/sound.

Half the people in my office use their phone to receive Pandora or another music service, why are we not reviewing this use. Yes sound can be subjective, but let us know the Audio Chip Spec and allow us to review or have cnet review the audio quality like they did on an IPOD ?

Collapse -
I can see why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 1:43 AM PST

I checked the last 4 phones and not one came with head or ear phones. All had terrible playback so it would never be necessary to review that area. Of course when I added a head or ear set they were on par with most players and I could not tell the difference from it to my last ipod.

There's also the issue of the playback app. Since it's iOS/Android/WP/too many other systems, which playback app would we use? Native, what folk replace it with? That is, what if the app was terrible?

I can see why they don't do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Hold it right there
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2013 1:57 PM PST

You just lost street creed among the audiophile crowd, amigo. Believe me, they can be a fussy bunch, and unfortunately sometimes a bit myopic in their enthusiasm. Splitting hairs doesn't describe the topic with ample justice IME and O ;).

First of all, Pandora, etc. do not use high bit rates for their streaming services. So in this regard, you are already shooting yourself in the foot. Combine trying to evaluate a DAC on a smartphone probably doesn't make much sense when most folks are listening to low bit rate material outside, and with earbuds. Whether or not your new smartphone has the 'highest rated' <ahem> DAC, etc. under the hood truly doesn't matter as much as the source material, and how it's arriving. Here are a few of helpful equations when you see folks start worrying about finding phones that provide so called 'superior audio quality' [=Beats Audio? (LOL) j/k ]

Locally stored MP3 files > Streamed low bit rate content
FLAC/WAV/ALAC > MP3
Speakers > cheap ear buds (I guess this makes distinguishing between 'audio chips' in phones a little tough)
Typical listening spaces at home > Noisy public/outdoor listening spaces

FWIW, at this time the only handsets I know with Wolfson DACs are the International Samsung Galaxy S3 & Note 2. The rest of the newer phones I have not seen that particular specification.

All that said, I have no problems with the Cirrus Logic chips under the iPhone/iPod/iPad hood, nor with whatever HTC uses on many of their recent smartphones. Running an external DAC via USB is another way to go, along with upgrading your headphones. Getting rid of a lot of the lower bit rate music helps too ;).

Collapse -
wolfson
by Gatordoug / March 3, 2013 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Hold it right there

All I asked in my original post was does anyone have an up to sare wolfson list of phones. I qas bot on a audiophile. Rant. My phone has the chip ans iam upgrading my phone. I am making a value purchase for me. But ti carry on with others thoughts.. still donot know why DAC is not listed in reviews. When processor speed is and most users of phones really caee about processor speed.

Collapse -
It's not listed because the reality is...
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2013 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: wolfson

...there's not any *significant* difference in the type of DAC used under the hood to 99.99999% of end users, especially given their source material & the fact that they are using ear buds. We pretty much covered this above in my previous post.

You might want to do two things to get a list beyond the aforementioned Sammys. Ask @ XDA, as well as places such as head fi, AVS & howardforums. And then there's sending an email to Wolfson themselves. Links:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1810385

http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media_centre/item/wolfson_delivers_outstanding_audio_to_samsung_galaxy_note_10.1_and_samsung_/

http://www.avsforum.com/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622155/sharp-sh-07d-smartphone-with-wolfson-dac-sound-quality

This site might help as well if you can pull yourself away from sticking with Wolfson (hint: recommended)-
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/iphone-vs-rivals-audio-tests/

Collapse -
Wolfson
by tinamishra / March 3, 2013 7:44 PM PST

Wolfson has engineered associate desirable name over the years, planning world leading audio merchandise right across the patron physics market. Once the audio signal is reborn from the analogue to the digital domain, the sound may be increased mistreatment software system algorithms running on the Audio DSP.

Collapse -
I need this help too
by KPACOTKA / November 21, 2013 9:33 AM PST

It seems people replying to the thread have no idea. Let me disappoint you first. Only LG G2 from hi-end phones uses Wolfson DAC. Bad news? Yes, because this phone (unless you have Korean version) doesn't have memory extension, so forget about playing hi-end 24/192Khz audio files.
Now I will tell you why. Almost every phone from first generation like Samsung Galaxy 1 had Wolfson DAC, but not now. Cutting cost? Not really, you noticed right phones makers continuously improve camera, but why not sound? Answer is simply music sellers can't switch to hi-end music due network bandwidth limitation. So putting better DAC will immediately show how crappy sound all Internet music has. It will certainly impact music sales numbers and billions $ of revenue from it. So you got idea, do not expect any sound improve from phones in next decade. Your option is only use an external DAC. yes, it will make phone looking weird, but it is a reality of business.

Collapse -
I disagree
by Pepe7 / November 22, 2013 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: I need this help too

So your solution to 'improving' typical low bit rate streams is adding an external DAC? Sorry, but that's a tad bit disingenuous.

The 'magic' of Wolfson is lost w/ everyday compressed MP3 content, earbuds and a typical listening environment. That's the takeaway from my post above which you did not grasp, apparently.

Collapse -
A look around the web tells me this is a shill.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2013 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: I disagree

A look around the web seems to find folk talking up this product. As in shilling.

As you can't prove that here but it's an old thread, I'm going to close this discussion since it's an old one. A spammer or shill will prove my assertion by starting it up again.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.