Windows 7

General discussion

WMP 12 problem

by jcinar / January 14, 2011 11:06 PM PST

Sorry if this has been addressed but I didn't find it after a search. I can't play many commercial DVDs with WMP 12 because I get the following error: "WMP cannot play this DVD because it is not possible to turn on analog copy protection on the output display...."

The message also suggests to download the latest driver. I am running a new HP computer, Windows 7 64 bit and have all the newest drivers. The DVDs will play with VLC media player so I have the proper codecs. These DVDs will play on my other computer with WMP 11 and Windows XP.

An internet search shows that this is a fairly common problem but I couldn't find a solution. Microsoft's web site addresses this error but it says it occurs when using more than one monitor with different resolution settings which I am not doing.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 12 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 12 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I may be wrong
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: WMP 12 problem
Collapse -
WMP does play DVDs
by jcinar / January 16, 2011 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: I may be wrong

as long as you have the codecs for the video type installed on your computer. I believe most of the DVDs are MPEG2 or MPEG4.

Collapse -
WMP12
by samkh / January 17, 2011 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: WMP does play DVDs

does play DVD discs when the proper codecs are installed, e.g. if PowerDVD or any other commercial DVD player is installed, they install the disc codecs and WMP12 is then good to go. Without disc codecs, WMP12 can only play DVD files (not discs).

For W7, since WMC plays DVDs without additional codecs why not use it?

Collapse -
THIS HAPPENED TO ME!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: WMP 12 problem

And it turned out to be a video card issue. Let me share the video card was from a bargain bin from a company that dealt with fire sales and failed company inventories. It turns out the card was indeed missing NTSC/PAL Video Encoder with Macrovision? Copy Protection feature.

So while everything else worked, DVD playback with WMP was never possible.

Since VLC Player worked, I used that card till I moved to a newer laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
strange....
by jcinar / January 16, 2011 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: THIS HAPPENED TO ME!

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 video card that came with my HP Pavilion computer. I also have the latest drivers for this. It is a better card than what I have on my laptop which will play the DVDs with WMP 11.

One other thing, one of the video DVDs that wouldn't play was not copy protected and if I copied it to my hard drive it would then play with WMP.

Collapse -
Cool error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 4:58 PM PST
In reply to: strange....

This points to either a hardware failure or an OS that was reinstalled but the owner forgot some motherboard or video driver.

The copy to the HDD is interesting. We don't have DOCUMENTATION about this but there was someone that commented to me that the Macrovision feature was bypassed when content was played from HDD!

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.