Windows 7

General discussion

WMP 12/11

by colinito / April 13, 2010 9:28 PM PDT

Hello Everyone!

Forgive me if this is a repeat. I am somewhat confused due to trying to contact Microsoft - a BAD decision - and the forum.

I obtained W7 Home Premium and replaced my XP with it.

It came with Windows Media Player 12. I was completely confused by it and as I had a "quick job" to do I exchanged it for a 'previous version' namely WMP 11.

Since then I have researched WMP 12 online and discovered the differences and decided to re-install it.

This is not possible!! I can not find it in the computer, only WMP 11 exists.

I tried contacting Microsoft about it, but after getting halfway through the proforma requiring agreement before they will even accept contact - I was completely baffled and thought that I would have to pay some huge sum just for their help - which they obviously do not wish to give - good old microsoft - I am here seeking assistance!

I have never had any visualisations in my WMP 11, and can not get them to work anyway. I just thought it would be nice to be able to have some swirling colours when the music plays! I have checked out the Plugins and Enhancements under the View tab, but it doesn't have any effect.

I have found a plugin online for a W7 N and NK - but I don't think my W7 has that definition - the details just say Windows 7 Home Premium when I click on Properties on the 'computer'

So if anyone could advise me on the possibility of re-obtaining WMP 12 and if not, how to get the visualisations working on my present WMP 11, I would be very thankful!

Thanks in advance

Colinito

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WMP 12/11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WMP 12/11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WMP
by Kees Bakker / April 13, 2010 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: WMP 12/11

WMP is rather integrated in the OS. So I'm afraid you'll have to do a reinstall of Windows 7 to get WMP 12 back. First try a repair install, however: http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-do-a-repair-install-to-fix-windows-7/ (but it advises to try System Restore first, of course).

If that doesn't work, do a clean install, like you did the first time.

I find it amazing that you could downgrade your WMP-version. I didn't know it could be done.

Kees

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Steven Haninger / April 13, 2010 9:37 PM PDT

Harking back to XP and previous, this could generally be done using "add/remove" programs and selecting the Windows features. In Win 7, this appears to be still available but verbiage has changed ( I really hate that they did that). Anyway, try control panel/programs and features/turn Windows features on or off. Media player is there. Perhaps you can get rid of 11 and reinstall 12 this way but you may need the Win7 installation disk again. I've not done this but it might be worth a try.

Collapse -
Possible Solution...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / April 14, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.