Computer Help

Question

WLAN Autoconfig is freezing my laptop on Windows 7

by gabytkuh123 / April 30, 2013 4:54 PM PDT

Hello I need help.. I don't know how it started but I woke up one morning and I went to open my internet browser and the loading circle came up and then went away with nothing loading. Task Manager wouldn't open either. Soon, my computer just froze altogether. I restored it, and it worked for about half a day. I opened my computer the next morning and the same thing happened. I restored and it did nothing. So I ran malwarebytes and spybot, and cleaned my whole computer. Still nothing worked. I then went to msconfig and checked off each service until I found the one messing up my computer. I found out it was WLAN Autoconfig. It works in safemode, but once I go to start normally, it freezes and such. I'm stuck and have no idea what to do...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WLAN Autoconfig is freezing my laptop on Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WLAN Autoconfig is freezing my laptop on Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So what did you clean?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 10:45 PM PDT

I see nothing about the PC as to story, make, model, if you tried system restore to when it worked.

Spybot is a bit dated advice but not what I think the problem is. I can't share what I think it is given so little to work with. But here's Grif (see link) to share what I think is the current titles to scan with.

-> But first let's cover something folk sometimes forget. Scanning and removing these pests does not mean it will correct an error. It only means the pest is gone. To fix an error like you note can take reinstalling of maybe a helper application or sometimes if the damage is deep the entire OS.

More from Grif -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
by gabytkuh123 / May 1, 2013 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: So what did you clean?

Sorry. It's a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 running on Windows 7 Home Premium. I can't tell you how this happened. It had been working fine after a Windows Update for a few hours and I went to sleep. When I woke up these problems started. I then restored it to a previous point and it seemed to work but then I left my computer and it had an automatic update done. Problem again started. I then restored it to a previous point but this time it didn't help. I am now restored to a point prior to the initial problems.

As for your solution I went to the link you posted and followed all steps. I downloaded Super AntiSpyware and ran that (on safemode). It deleted and cleaned up everything. So I restarted my computer to make the changes and when I started in normal mode the same problems happens. To be specific programs and windows can be opened for the initial 5 seconds but after that they ALL freeze. If I attempt to open anything after that, the loading circle comes up for a few seconds but then it does nothing. Nothing opens. If I attempt to bring up the task manager, the whole screen goes black and I get this message... "the logon process was unable to display security and logon options..." .

It also should be noted that when I uncheck WLAN autoconfig from msconfig in safemode, when I go back to normal mode, NONE of these problems happen.

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't give a solution yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
Tried the Netsh
by gabytkuh123 / May 1, 2013 12:48 PM PDT

I went to the link you sent and did everything the NETSH comment said to. Still the problem persists.

Collapse -
What Super AntiSpyware got
by gabytkuh123 / May 1, 2013 12:53 PM PDT

On top of a bunch of cookies, literally hundreds, Super AntiSpyware came up with this.

Trojan.Agent/Gen-InstallCore
C:\USERS\GABY\DOWNLOADS\FLVPLAYERSETUP.EXE
C:\USERS\GABY\DOWNLOADS\PDFCONVERTERSETUP.EXE

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Hotbar
C:\USERS\GABY\DOWNLOADS\XVIDSETUP.EXE

Maybe this can help?

Collapse -
Only a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 1:35 PM PDT

This looks like a trojan and with that they gain remote control of the PC so all bets are off. Take Grif's advice and continue to scan till it's clean and then try the NETSH as well as SFC /SCANNOW commands.

What will and can upset folk is that the damage can be deep. My dad's PC had that ZeroAccess infection. That's so bad you reload the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by gabytkuh123 / May 1, 2013 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Only a little.

Thanks for the help. I'll continue scanning and repeating the steps. I think I'm going to just backup some photos and restore the laptop to factory settings if this doesn't work. I don't have funds at the moment to take it to a professional. Will this ultimately fix the problem?

Collapse -
If there are no hardware issues
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

That usually cures it.

Collapse -
Forget to emphasize
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 1:37 PM PDT

You must run the scans till clean, then the NETSH and SFC /SCANNOW more than a few times. What I forgot to write was that folk want a "one shot, one kill" for these pests. For now we repeat the scans and commands and hope for the best. If you want the one shot, one kill, you reload the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Freeze etc.
by pgc3 / April 30, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

Sounds like a virus, first off, Spybot(free version) is pretty much ineffective, as a prior poster mentioned. If you are going to run a scan with Malwarebytes, do it in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. For minor spyware issues, Superantispyware is not a bad tool to have in the kit. You didn't mention anything about security software than you have/had on board. Running wirelessly without a fairly decent A/V software can leave you vulnerable to a lot of nefarious things that can create some very strange issues and it sounds to me as if something has gotten through your hook up.

Collapse -
Reoky
by gabytkuh123 / May 1, 2013 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Freeze etc.

I ran Malwarebytes on Safe Mode with Networking initially. I also have since then run superantispyware. It got rid of a bunch of stuff, but the problems continue after my computer has been run with these programs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.