Laptops forum

Resolved Question

With or Without Battery

by 17-gemini / March 9, 2012 7:49 PM PST

Hello

This may be a strange quesiton. The laptop(Toshiba Satellite 600D-1GB) is new (purchased last December). I use it at home as it's large and heavy so I have taken out the battery to, switching on the plug when I use it. Then the computer sometimes freezes when starting up and I'm wondering if this is to do with having no battery installed or with some other problem. Should I put back the battery?

17-gemini has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: With or Without Battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: With or Without Battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 17-gemini

Collapse -
Shouldn't do
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 8:07 PM PST

As long as the mains is plugged in before you turn on, but then it wouldn't turn on anyway.

No, removing the battery should not cause any freezing or other issues. The only time there might be an issue is if there was a mains power cut. With the battery in it would take over, but with the battery out the system would turn off instantly and that could cause instability at the next reboot.

I think you need to look at other causes for this freezing.

Mark

Collapse -
With or Without Battery
by 17-gemini / March 10, 2012 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: Shouldn't do

Hmmm... nothing to do with battery... Confused
Thanks again Mark for answering my question, much appreciated. Happy
So, as far as battery is concerned, is it better to leave it in, in case of power cut?

Collapse -
Good question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 8:17 PM PST

and there is no Yes/No answer.

It all depends on you and how you use the laptop. You've already said that with the battery in the laptop is heavy so removing it makes a difference. But then again, if you then use the system off the mains, it is not that portable because of the power lead and attached charger hanging out the back or side of the machine.

So its your choice with this. It does no harm to use the computer with the battery removed, and as far as power cuts go, you will have more knowledge of that yourself, eg how often do you get power cuts where you are. Where I live I haven't had a power cut for over two years, so I would be quite happy to risk it.

You can minimise the risk of power cuts with a surge protector or uninterruptible power supply. The surge protector, (often combined with UPS or Universal Power Strips), will protect the laptop against electrical surges, say in a storm. An uninterruptible power supply will provide a battery backup which allows the system to be shut down in the event of a mains power cut.

I use UPS for my systems because I have more than one device connected to the mains, but I don't use any uninterruptible power supplies. But also, I use the laptop I have with the battery connected, only because the laptop is static. I don't move it around anywhere.

I hope that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.