Networking & Wireless

General discussion

WISP signal enhancement

by tntrapper / July 6, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

I am not too tech savvy but I'll try to explain this as best I can: I receive my WISP's signal directly from one of their tower "radios" that is located approximately 200 yards from my house. I do not have a modem or a router to supply signal as the signal from the "radio" is sufficient for most parts of my home. BUT, there are some weak spots and that's were my issue is. I want something to relay, for lack of a better term, the signal to these weak spots. Will the WRE54G Range extender work or should I look at something else?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WISP signal enhancement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WISP signal enhancement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only they can answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by tntrapper / July 6, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Hey R. Proffitt, I'm J. Proffitt, small world......

Anyway, like I said I don't have a router or a modem for that matter. As I stated before I'm not too tech savvy but as far as the infrastructure of my WISP it's something like this: There is a 80' tower on a mountain top about 2.5 miles from my home that broadcasts their signal. Some of my neighbors can get their service directly from that tower,due to topography (hills, trees) I could not. So they installed a "radio" on a ulitity pole on a hill about 200 yds. in front of my house and "aimed" it at my home and that's what provides me with wireless internet to my two laptops and a desktop (with a usb wireless adapter). The signal is good in about 70% of the house but there are some weak spots throughout where it drops down to low. I am wondering if there is a product that will capture the signal (just as my laptop does) and relay it through certain parts of the house. Again, I do not have a router or modem but receive the signal directly from the "radio" to my computers.

Collapse -
Addition
by tntrapper / July 6, 2008 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
If that's WIFI 2.4GHz then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

Only a test will tell if a repeater would work. These are not assured things.

What could work if you claim you are using 802.11g wifi at 2.4GHz is to get a wifi CLIENT device then wire that to the WAN port of your router.
Bob

Collapse -
Response
by tntrapper / July 6, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

Bob,
Again, NO ROUTER....I have NO ROUTER. But I can tell you it's not 2.4 GHz , It's in the 5 GHz range.

Collapse -
Then the answer is no. The product you noted is not suitable
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 2:19 AM PDT

The setup I use to cure this is simple. We install a "client" wifi device where there is a good signal and then cable that to a classic wifi router. You have nothing so far so the fix may or may not be acceptable to you.

The key component is the 5GHz WISP client. Sadly I can't find where you tell what WISP you use so I am hampered in telling you what client I would suggest.
Bob

Collapse -
WISP signal enhancement
by yellowaj / August 26, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

Check out pepwave.com they manufacture equipment specially for your situation. They have products which work like a mesh networks repeater to relay the signal from your tower back into your home. Hope that helps.
www.diy-wirelessisp.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.