Dell forum

Question

Wisdow Needed... Dell Inspiron 1545

by MassNasty / November 26, 2012 9:25 PM PST

Hello All,

Wisdom needed in regards to a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. The question has been asked many times about a black screen with a white blinking cursor when you boot up. I have tried all tips posted on just about every web site know to man kind and still have the same problem.

I have run all tests and have past with no errors, I have reinstalled window 7 however when it goes to restart on installation it will reboot and again stop at black screen with cursor. I have formatted all drives prior to installation except the X: drive because it pops up write protected. I have tried to install windows 7 on both the c: and d: drives still won't boot into windows.

I have also tried to install Windows XP but that won't install at all, it will stop at a blue screen saying run ckdisk. Tried Windows Vista when that reboots same as Windows 7, black screen with cursor.

I have no clue what to do next, wisdom needed....

Tyvm,

MassNasty

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wisdow Needed... Dell Inspiron 1545
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wisdow Needed... Dell Inspiron 1545
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
About XP. One question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 1:58 AM PST

How did you add SATA support to your XP install?

It's not automatic, and well discussed so I'll stop here on that topic.
As to the BootMGR, if the factory restore from hard disk is wiped out, why didn't you

a. erase the drive with DBAN to force the rewrite of the boot manager?
b. use restore media?

Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: dell problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 10:09 PM PST

Did you do the restore to factory conditions from the recovery partition or the recovery media from Dell? After that it should work unless there is a hardware issue. And then your laptop needs repair.

Normally, of course, it should work also with a retail version of the OS. But if you call Customer Service now, they'll surely have you do the factory restore and only agree that it's an error if that fails.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: dell problems
by MassNasty / November 27, 2012 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: dell problems

Hello Kees,

Let me 1st say tyvm for your quick response to my post. I have tried the f8, f11 keys no luck there, however I did just run the tests again I got an error BootMgr missing,

I've just formatted all drivers again and reinstalled Windows Vista it rebooted and stopped at that screen again. I also tried the repair vista... no luck. I can't seem to replace the missing BootMgr.

I'm also not sure if that is the problem.

Tyvm,
MassNasty

Collapse -
Answer
Try removing the optical device....
by fred_sgs / December 7, 2012 1:26 AM PST

It might be hanging on the optical device, probably not

What the machine is doing is, after the dell splash screen, is going through the boot order.

You can all remove all bootable device, and see if it says no bootable devices, then add them 1 at a time.

I doubt this is the issue, because you were able to reinstall (i.e. the DVD and HDD still work)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.