Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wirless keeps cutting out HELP PLEASE!!!

by vivorata / September 9, 2006 1:20 AM PDT

hi i got wireless intenet installed a few weeks ago and since then weve had some problems as it seems too cut out randomly and then connect again. i have checked for faulty connections at the back but they seem to be fine most of the time but the problem still persists. the router that i have is a D-link airplus xtreme G wiresless router.

any help would be much appreciated because quite frankly im out of ideas and i really need to do something soon. thanks in advance and all help will be better then what i can do myself.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wirless keeps cutting out HELP PLEASE!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wirless keeps cutting out HELP PLEASE!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The first response is always...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2006 2:04 AM PDT

"Is the router firmware up to date?"

Also, please avail yourself of existing discussions so we can skip the usuals.

Collapse -
how do i check to see if this firmware is up to date?
by vivorata / September 9, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

hi sorry if im repeating existing questions but i scanned throught some and they didnt seem to have many replies so i thought i would try my own.
anyway i mite be sounding a bit stupied here but how can i check if the routers firm ware is up to date?

Collapse -
It's on...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

The management page of the router. Then we go to the maker's web site and see if there is newer. Compare the versions.

I agree that we shouldn't have to do this on a new router but this seems to be the current state of affairs.

In closing, feel free to repeat questions but some of them will be repeats (like the firmware item). After it's been covered a few hundred times a member may feel slighted if they ask it again. Don't take that badly.

Also you didn't note the client's card or connection. There is an issue with USB wifi connections but that's not up for discussion since it's not in your posts.

Collapse -
try this it worked for me...
by joseph2293 / January 7, 2007 1:23 PM PST

i had the same problem forever!!! first off check ALL your connections and assure yourself that everything is hooked up problem turned out to be that i had the power supply for the wireless router hooked up on a surge protector...which also had a bunch of plugs into it as soon as i took it off the surge protector and gave the router its own "designated" outlet...a separate outlet it worked i guess the correct voltage to the router has a lot to do with its functioning...if it is hooked up to a surge protector with a bunch of other plugs...plug it into another socket that doesn't have a lot of plugs going into it...

i had the same problem FOREVER and this turned out to be the problem!

Collapse -
by caliche7591 / March 1, 2010 4:25 AM PST

Your suggestion was right on. My internet kept kicking me off. I plugged my modem and wireless router directly into the wall outlet, and I haven't had trouble since. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Helpful Post!
by proxied / April 4, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

Your post helped! Thanks a ton!

Collapse -
Do you have a portable phone?
by PudgyOne / January 7, 2007 5:57 PM PST

If so, the portable phones use the same frequencies as the wireless routers do.

Change channels on your portable phone.

Collapse -
Wireless phone
by MurrayA / January 16, 2007 1:04 PM PST

I have been looking at upgrading to Wireless N and have been told that one benefit will be that the newer routers (my "G" is about 3 years old) are on a different frequency from the phones now. IS this true as there is nothing more frustrating than loosing the signal when the phone rings.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.