Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Wiring problems with headphones- are all headphones subject?

by Cocoagirl / June 10, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

Hello,
My V-moda bass headphones ($40 from J&R World) have stopped working again. I bought my first pair June, 07, after about 6 months the left ear gave out so I sent them to VModa, they sent me a new pair. Well the new pair has given out after only 3 months. I have read on the reviews here on Cnet about this issue happening with Sony's, Sennheiser's, etc. Is this a problem with just in ear headphones or does cheap wiring lead to problems in over-ear and other headphone types? I am wondering if I should just scrap the in ear model and get semi-open like the newly reviewed Koss Porta Pro's or another style? I.E. will this happen with any headphone style and any price range?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wiring problems with headphones- are all headphones subject?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wiring problems with headphones- are all headphones subject?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some info that MAY help

I don't know much about the earphones you're talking about, in face I've never heard of the brand before, but I'm a big fan of in-ear headphones and the wiring problem usually happens when you pull on the wiring of the headphones. When I do run into similar problems with earphones and headphones I just open them, and re-solder the wires back to the respected connecting pieces.
But you really shouldn't have that problem with earphones retailing over $30 unless someone is pulling on the wires.

Collapse -
That's the thing, I thought it was my fault last time so..
by Cocoagirl / June 10, 2008 2:17 AM PDT

I was extra careful making sure I didn't pull on the wires, yet it happened again. I have read many complaints on cnet and other forums stating that the wiring used in these headphones as well as others are very cheap and that many of the manufacturers know that the wiring is cheap in their products. I will see if they will send me another pair but I don't want to go down this road every 4 months. Wondering if there is a brand or type of headphone that is just overall made better?

Collapse -
Never had V-Modas
by ktreb / June 10, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

But I've used some cheap earbuds. I used the iPod pack-ins for a couple of years and I never had a problem. I would wrap them around my iPod, but never with them plugged in. I've stopped using them not because they broke but because I wanted more noise isolation. So now I now switch off between Shure e2cs and Skullcandy Smokin' buds, which are both in-ear. The latter pair I use most of the time because they provide just enough isolation for me and they're cheap ($15). If I lose or break them, no big deal. I've had them since last October. I've pulled/yanked on them and wrapped them around my player (also unplugged when not in use). I haven't had any problems.

I like my e2cs, but they were a little pricey at the time ($100, but you could spend a lot more on other models). They have nice, thick cables. But I kept feeling the need to put them back in their included case every time I finished listening. That was a little too high maintenance for me, so I kept going back to the Skullcandys. And I bought 3 more pairs when I saw them for sale on Black Friday and they're still in their packages. Now I'm not suggesting that you buy Skullcandys. They may not provide the sound quality that you need. Some people think they're junk and I'm not the audiophile to argue with that.

Collapse -
I also have the shure e2c's...
by per89son / June 10, 2008 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Never had V-Modas

i guess I'm mean to my headphones because i wrap my headphones around my mp3 player all the time and it doesn't seem to affect them.

Collapse -
good to know
by ktreb / June 10, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

Maybe I'll start breaking them out more often.

Collapse -
Different phones, different problems.
by fbbbb / June 10, 2008 7:14 PM PDT

The V-Modas are becoming quite notorious for broken cables. Combination of design and production. Sony's in-ear cable sheath's have a habit of sliding down the cable, exposing contacts and eventually leading to damage. The Senneheiser-style design seems to offer up the least problems for this type of phone, but ultimately it is a fairly flimsy cable.

Shure's E2c's have a nice thick cable but a different problem with their cable and the way you wear them, in that constant direct skin contact causes the nylon cable sheath to absorb moisture from the skin and become brittle over time. With heavy users this will become readily apparent during the warranty period, with light users it may become a problem just after the warranty has expired.

Others like Ultimate Ears acknowledge that discreet cables are flimsy and they provide replaceable cables. But ultimately, even if you go for a non-VModa, you have to appreciate that you can't Tarzan around with lightweight, low-cost earphones. You just have to treat them reasonably carefully.

If you're rough on your phones, I suggest the Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones. Fully rebuildable, *steel* cable, solid 2-year warranty and a very decent sound to boot - The choice of many DJ's at a shade under $200. If you don't mind open phones and have a significantly smaller budget, Koss do a lifetime warranty on their wares... but I wouldn't recommend open phones for traveling.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Well..
by Cocoagirl / June 12, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

I am not trying to pay more than $60 for some headphones, and with that in mind I guess I have to just be aware of keeping them protected when not in use..I just need a good pair, with a good bass that are reliable so the search continues! thanks again all.

Collapse -
Good <> cheap.
by fbbbb / June 12, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

The Sennheiser in-ears seems to be the most logical choice through the reasonably low cost and the long warranty.

Collapse -
V-Moda just responded to my email
by Cocoagirl / June 12, 2008 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Good <> cheap.

And said that I can send the defective pair back again and they will send me out a new pair (though I don't see why I must go through the hassle of sending them in). So I guess I will do that and maybe get another pair too for backup. Wonder how many years they will let me keep sending back a defective pair..I'm sure I'll find out, hehe..

Collapse -
I'm happy with the Audio Technica
by vidal_mejias / June 16, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

I have been using the Audio Technica In-ear and headphones for years and they have a decent headphone cable and build quality. I don't have any problem with cable.

Here is my list of AT phones with good experience. I'll recommend them
Audio-Technica ATH-A900Ti
Audio-Technica ATH-SQ5
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7
Audio-Technica ATH-CKM50

Collapse -
Mine's broke, too
by tenhatco / June 19, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

Yep, the sound started cutting out on one side. Thank you for suggesting I turn it in to get another: I'll call them and do that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.