PC Hardware

General discussion

Wireless TV Tuner????

by whizkid454 / November 24, 2006 12:35 AM PST

Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension E510, Pentium D 820, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI X600 graphics card (no TV tuner). I have a Pioneer 43" HD plasma TV (model #:PDP-4340HD). The TV is about 25 feet away and there is a wall in between my computer and TV. Because I don't feel like hassling with cables running through walls and cables sprawled on the floor, is it theoretically possible to WIRELESSLY send TV content from the TV (I have satellite TV as well) to a TV Tuner card so I can watch and save TV shows to my hard drive for later viewing? I have heard some article about sending HDTV over the air but they said it was a couple years away from production. Is there something I can get now to do what I want? If so, how could I do it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless TV Tuner????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless TV Tuner????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today. Add the XBox 360.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless TV Tuner????

And before you balk, the wireless hdtv connection I saw last year was north of 4 grand.

Bob

Collapse -
Could you please explain.....
by whizkid454 / November 24, 2006 1:25 AM PST

How could an Xbox 360 put TV on my computer and store it? Details....

Collapse -
You need one more piece.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 1:38 AM PST

The XBox 360 is the path from PC to TV and for the other direction be sure to look at ATI or Hauppauge solutions that mention Media Center Edition so it all ties up and works.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/16/AR2005071600110.html notes the slingbox. Check out slingbox's home page to see if there are updates to the concerns noted there.

Lots of solutions but you get to integrate it and hopefully you find something you like.

Bob

Collapse -
Missing link...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 1:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the replies, Bob. I appreciate your help!
by whizkid454 / November 24, 2006 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Missing link...

Are there other suggestions from anyone who has thought about doing this because of the distance and obstacles in their homes? I just really don't think I need (or for that matter, want) to spend $400 on an Xbox 360.

Collapse -
Currently I use this..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 3:57 AM PST
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318 for the PC to TV playback.

For the PC capture I use a Hauppauge TV/Capture card. I have a cable outlet in my computer room for this. If I didn't then the slingbox would be the next item. But for use the cable is in each room so it was a nobrainer how to configure this.

Since the HDTV wireless link was so pricey last year I was thrilled to see the Xbox 360 to cut it back to 10 percent of the going price.

Bob
Collapse -
you may try FlYimage3000 which is around 100 bucks
by 100calorie / December 18, 2006 5:37 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.