Samsung forum

General discussion

Wireless TV to PC connection

by DGC666 / December 28, 2009 6:15 AM PST

Hi,
Quick question (I hope)....

Is it possible to connect to my desktop PC via the Samsung wireless adapter (Model WIS09ABGN), through my wireless modem/router?

I have searched this thread and elsewhere, but don't see simple answer, have read for hours.

I have been able to connect to internet and get Yahoo Widgets, but can't seem to connect to my PC.

Any help is appreciated.
Don

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless TV to PC connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless TV to PC connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2009 8:39 AM PST

DGC666,

Are you trying to stream files from the computer to the TV? Or use the TV as a monitor wirelessly?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by DGC666 / December 28, 2009 1:15 PM PST

Hi,

I'd like to try to stream photos/music/video to the TV, which is a LN40B750. I have desktop PC with WinXP, and a ADSL modem/router. And I have installed the Samsung PC Share Manager software.

I bought the Samsung wireless adapter thinking it could also connect to my PC via wireless router. Its not practical to run a CAT5 cable from my PC to the TV.

Thanks,
Don

Collapse -
Wireless DLNA
by jw650 / December 28, 2009 4:40 PM PST

Check your firewall or router is not blocking the TV discovery protocol (SSDP port 1900).

Collapse -
by DGC666 / December 29, 2009 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless DLNA

Hi,
Thanks, but before I spend a lot of time changing settings, I just want to know...

Is it in fact possible to make a wireless connection from the TV to the PC?

I have read some forums and other info that suggests this a wireless connection is not possible. Some people have spent several days trying to set this up with no luck. Some people say it can only be done by ethernet connection (RJ45/Cat5 cable)or using ethernet bridge.

Has anyone successfully made a wireless TV to PC connection using the Samsung adapter?

Thanks again,
Don

Collapse -
by DGC666 / December 30, 2009 5:22 AM PST

Can anybody answer this?
Thanks

Collapse -
Wireless DLNA
by jw650 / December 30, 2009 4:53 PM PST

Samsung's own DLNA Guide (dated 26 Nov 08) says it can only be done by wired connection to the TV (but the PC can be wireless). However, my TV user guide says "Samsung?s Wireless LAN adapter supports IEEE 802.11A, IEEE 802.11B, IEEE 802.11G, IEEE 802.11N. When you play
DLNA video over IEEE 802.11B/G connection, the video may not be played smoothly."

It could be something that was added with 2009 models (or the 09 Wireless adaptor).

Collapse -
same problem
by clif4d / September 21, 2010 2:17 PM PDT

Don - did anyone help you resolve this issue? I am struggling with the same thing. I've spent several days on it, and i'm very frustrated. the only reason why i purchased the samsung dongle in the first place was to do media streaming - not to get the cruddy internet widgets. I'm hoping you've been able to find a solution to your problem.

c

Collapse -
wireless doesn't support media streaming
by clif4d / September 29, 2010 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem

according to sr. samsung staff: you can only access media on your pc through usb or wired connection. the wireless dongle only supports the widgets.

extremely disappointing.

Collapse -
wireless video streaming
by primbcadman / February 5, 2011 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: same problem

I have an older Samsung LCDTV LE46 and I bought the HT-C5900 Home Cimema W/the "N" lan dongle. and I have gotten Video streaming going quite well. using either Samsung Share mgr or just straight from My laptop. I am doing it wirelessly. I do have a problem sometimes tho with the wireless dropping and have to setup again. but most of the time its quite good once it settles in. Samsung pc share mger shows icons of the movie but the pc just shows that it is a video file.I have also been able to setup a friends tv (toshiba) with the samsung 3d BD player w/built in lan. but can't get it to play vids thru the Samsung share magr. only the pc(laptop)wirelessly. Streaming uses Windows Media Player so after you have setup your share lib's (video) open WMP and see if the videos update or are showing there

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2009 6:54 PM PST

DGC666,

People on the forums have posted success.

Here's an online tutorial from the Samsung website that has a little more detailed information:

http://tinyurl.com/ycj2r3a

Not all of the 2008 products were wireless, and that other article was indeed geared for 2008 products.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by DGC666 / December 31, 2009 4:40 AM PST

Hi,
Thanks to both for the replies.

The tutorial HDTech pointed to says...

"To use DLNA you must:

1. Connect your television to your home network via the Ethernet port on the television."

This indicates that you must use ethernet port implying that a wireless connection is NOT capable of connection to the PC.

However, what JW650 wrote... TV user guide says "Samsung?s Wireless LAN adapter supports IEEE 802.11A, IEEE 802.11B, IEEE 802.11G, IEEE 802.11N. When you play DLNA video over IEEE 802.11B/G connection, the video may not be played smoothly."... this indicates that a wireless connection is possible.

So, again, has anyone successfully made a wireless TV to PC connection using the Samsung adapter?

Thanks,
Don

Collapse -
I am having the same problem
by hawkster196 / December 31, 2009 7:58 AM PST

I have a Samsung BDP3600 Blu-ray Player connected to my Samsung LE40A856 television by an HDMI cable. They are in my living room and my computer is in my bedroom connected to my Sky wireless router. I have a home network set up so i can use my laptop anywhere in the flat. If i have to move the router to the living room how can i connect the computer to the internet? I thought the television and/or the Blu ray player would automatically connect to my wireless network.

Collapse -
I am having the same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 5:43 AM PST

hawkster196,

If you have a wireless router, the BD-P3600 comes with the LinkStick that will allow you to connect to the internet. The laptop you have - does it have a wireless Wi-Fi card?

The Blu-Ray player, nor the television will transmit a signal to the computer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by hawkster196 / January 2, 2010 6:34 AM PST

My laptop connects to the internet on my home network so i assume it has wifi. It is an Asus EeePC. My main computer is in the bedroom and connected directly to my Sky Netgear wireless router. I have been asking for advice and it looks like i need to move the router to the living room and connect it to the television then get a wireless USB adapter and plug that into the computer.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: reply

hawkster196,

The BD-P3600 - at least in the U.S. - comes with a LinkStick wireless adapter that will connect the Blu-Ray player. If you want one for the television also, you would need to purchase a separate LinkStick (or a bridge of some sort, if you're good at networking).

All three should run at the same time, if set up properly. Again, there may be a limitation on the router as how many devices can be used at once, or how to set it up, but I don't see why there would be.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by hawkster196 / January 2, 2010 6:53 PM PST

The router has 4 connection ports so it should be ok

Collapse -
Wifi and PC Share Manager
by alain38330 / January 2, 2010 10:26 PM PST

I am using PC Share Manager (2.3) to watch movies (.mkv HD, mpeg2 "huge" files...) from my PC to my TV (UE32B7000).
My PC is linked to a Netgear router through ethernet wiring, while I am using Samsung Wifi dongle USB on my TV (I got it with the P3600 Blu Ray reader which is also the way this reader is delivered in France).
The router speed is setup on 130Mb/s and I have very few problems of transmission. Some streaming buffering issues when too many computers are accessing the router thru Wifi and time to time an interrupt (not explained) of transmission.

BUT, when I have this interrupt (rare), the thing I have never been able to do is to restart where it STOPPED or to read VERY FAST from the begining of the file until I reach the point of break.

If someone can give me some solution here??? many thanks.

Collapse -
FFWD
by Libero11 / May 27, 2010 2:03 AM PDT

I've found that once in 5 times you skip ahead in FFWD it let you go ahead as long as you keep the button pressed, the other four times it just skips 10 seconds.

Collapse -
dlna wireless
by maxaletv / April 12, 2010 4:19 PM PDT

buddy,
i have a 46b8000 tv connected to my network via samsung wireless adapter. i have also instaled pc share manager. this runs perfectly except for the fact that When you play DLNA video over IEEE 802.11B/G connection, the video is not played smoothly.

Now, anybody knows if runing movies over ieee 802.11N is played smoothly?
regards,max

Collapse -
Try some codec's
by Jonyjams / May 27, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: dlna wireless

Yes it plays without jerking and is smooth... Here at Jonyjams Computers we find that most folks pc's have tons of odd ball infections ect... regardless of what folks think, we have found that Norton and McAfee products are pretty much worthless to us! They put tons of services on the pc and slows the pc down to a crawl. CHALLENGE: download the new Vipre or Panda or CA Antivirus... Update your virus software, scan and remove anything that it finds (that you believe is a true threat). Now, uninstall it... load up one of three of these, update it and scan. (bet it finds stuff that those two didn't)? Seen this thousands of times!
Now... download Malwarebytes free... download SuperAntispyware free... download Adaware free, and install these and scan. remove everything they find. (PLEASE configure these tools to NOT auto update or send any info anywhere - folks need to learn how to configure their pcs!!! You don't want any tools to load with windows.
Set them to manual in your services and options. Don't let icons run in your tray ect... ("Jonyjams Computers" builds some of the fastest pc's in the midwest folks! - we are talking about 20 second boots!!!
7.4 - 7.9 scores in Windows Seven boxes
Turn all those silly services off... Manually run all your tools and let your Antivirus software be in control.
Do a disk cleanup, defrag the pc! Defrag defrag defrag... I don't care what you have been led to believe in the past or what you been told. Defrag the damn pc!

Now lets move on to these codecs. Download the Standard K-lite package.(at this time - May 27th of 2010... it is version 5.90, and after installing you will get a 5.96 update. I leave everything at default when installing, and if it finds broken codecs DO NOT REMOVE them if you have Roxio products installed, just ignore that and move on... I also put a check mark in both Windows Media player and Classic Windows Media Player so both can play lots of content. I also put a check mark in MKV selection for thumbnails. (lots of blueray rips are ripped to mkv's and look superior over avi.
Don't for get to do your update when it ask...
Be careful what link you choose to get K-lite from and the update.
Lots of popups from some of these sponsors... (crap)

Now we are ready to watch some smooth movies wirelessly!
One more thing on the wireless... Please don't be unreasonable with the distance your trying to stream - 3 blocks away type crap...ha
I always have my access point above or on the same level - Not downstairs in a remote corner and my tv up on the 2nd floor type deal with out some type of boost whether it be the new inline electric ect... I have customers running the B/G and N's with NO PROBLEMS!
But i promise you this... if you have tons of things going on in the background all the time, it will stutter even when using an ethernet cable.
Wireless is 50% slower than wire!!! give or take...
Yes its a lot of work and i believe it all starts at the pc. It has to be right to begin with, Don't install any linksys software ect... learn how to manually configure your router through Firefox (don't use IE folks...please, I won't go there!)

Collapse -
Hooking up wirelessly
by Jonyjams / April 25, 2010 4:55 AM PDT

Yes, You can hook it all up wirelessly... You need to understand that what you are talking about is two different things!
you have to have the right devices though, to set it up... to hook up to your tv.
Network: DLNA-compliant Samsung HDTVs have an Ethernet port on the rear panel. This port must be
connected to a home network through a router... or other network interface through a wired Ethernet connection. Your Samsung HDTV can only use a wired LAN connection to the network interface. So this means, You need a wired lan connection that your are then going to hook up to a wireless access point... get it?

However, your networked PC can share files to your Samsung TV through both wired and wireless
connections to the network interface. It is recommended that you use at least an 802.11g wireless
connection (54 Mb/s) to your networked PC for viewing photos and videos and listening to music.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samsung.com%2Fus%2Fpdf%2Fdlna_guide.pdf&rct=j&q=how+to+assign+an+ip+address+with+samsungs+Digital+Living+Network+Alliance&ei=F4zUS-CCH8aqlAedvMDsDA&usg=AFQjCNEqk7KtDTAMgOkR2YYh5eQNVzalZQ

Figures 2a-2b. (Left) Rear panel view, showing Ethernet (LAN) connection on Samsung DLNA-compliant
HDTV, and (right) connection to home network wired/wireless router

Collapse -
streaming
by zsultan / November 5, 2011 10:00 PM PDT

Well yes i used to connect my Samsung 3d C8000 tv to my lapytop and stream videos from it.
with the dongle i was able to log in to goole maps etc .
at the moment I'm trying to reconnect my dongle to y wireless becasue something has happend . it seems the wireless hub but cannot connect it so i can,t go onto media player and inetnet tv . the password is correct for the router because the rest of my comps are all connected fine. any help please.
the other thing i used to stream video to my pc was windows media player.

Collapse -
wireless connection for gaming
by kano_C / September 25, 2011 8:58 AM PDT

Could you please explain me which is the easiest method to wireless play pc games via my Samsung LED TV SERIE 6 via a home cinema HTC7550w system.

The problem is that I do not posses a HDMI slot for my pc video card, hence the the clasical connectiv style with a pc/sound out cables will be very low...

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Best.
ck

Collapse -
I suggest you make a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2011 10:17 AM PDT

In the meantime check out a VEEBEAM on amazon so you can see if that helps.

Collapse -
Lag issue
by kano_C / September 25, 2011 7:41 PM PDT

Thank you, but the vvebeam has a 2 seconds lag for gaming. Any other similar products, with no lag. Best

Collapse -
And it's time to start your own discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Lag issue

That way no forum lag.

Collapse -
wireless TV to PC connection
by gouthamn / May 3, 2011 10:48 PM PDT

Hi,
Was this issue resolved ? I have got a LA40C650 Samsung LCD TV (2010 Model) and got myself the Samsung USB wireless adaptor.
I have got a wireless router as its not possible to run the direct wired ethernet connectivity to the TV.
I am able to play out all the apps in the TV.
Have got Samsung PC share manager installed in my desktop. I am able to view the TV among the options (i have Allowed it to be accessed in my PC).
From the TV i am able to view the Samsung PC manager and the contents that i have shared in the PC manager. However when i try to play out the content i get format not supported error message be it a jpeg, movie, mp3 etc, (all supported formats of the TV).
I tried to use the UPNP option and share the windows media player. I am able to see the windows media player among the devices in my TV but in this case i am able to see the playlist but not the files in it.
Am i missing something ?

Collapse -
Codecs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 5, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

gouthamn,

Collapse -
Wireless to PC connection
by gouthamn / May 5, 2011 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Codecs

Hi,
Thanks for the URL. I shall let you know the progress on the same over this weekend. Meanwhile i copied the same file on to my Samsung WAVE 2 and used the All share feature, the TV recognises it and it is able to play (In fact it was a 720p HD content).
In this case it displays both the samsung PC share manager installed in my PC as well as Wave II content.
I tried the jpeg files in the wave-2 and it was displayed on the TV.
However i tried to access the file from the PC but it displays error (I do not think it was file format not supported but just file not supported - Shall confirm on the same).

Collapse -
Hi
by Cold-breeze / February 6, 2012 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: Codecs

Hi, I got a HT-C7550w and according to the manual it does play MKV, in either DTS/MP3. However, when I use the LAN connection I get on every movie i stream that the format is not supported....
If I put the same movie on an USB disc it plays without any problem... Now, codecs issue?? no way... codecs are there else it won't play via USB also..
Use USB instead of LAN??? no way... I bought this thing (1100 euro!!!!!!)to replace my bluray player and my media player but now im still stuck with an Samsung device that doesn't do what it supposed to do and an extra device... the media player... and no fricking way I am gonna walk to my pc, copy the files, and walk back to the HT-C7550w in order to watch movies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.