Networking & Wireless forum

Question

wireless speeds problems

by Kris-S / January 30, 2013 8:25 PM PST

hello, my problem is as follows, i'm using a G router as a relay for our virgin superhub which has crap wireless tbh.. when the router itself is set to B+G mode the wifi works fine for phones and stuff, but crap for my wireless adaptor, i get download rates below 100kb consistently, where as when i set it to G, the wifi turns to crap but i get most of the speed i would get if i was wired instead (20mb of the 30mb we pay for) although it's unstable

my question is simply this, why can't i find a middle ground?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless speeds problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless speeds problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
edit
by Kris-S / January 30, 2013 8:33 PM PST

i should clarify, the wireless adaptor i'm using is a philips snu5600/00, it's specs state 54Mbps 802.11b/g yet in b+g mode it doesn't work properly at all

Collapse -
Answer
Let's get this clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 1:10 AM PST

When I see such things I change hardware. There are some folk that can't do that and I understand but here the shop charges so much that another router or USB stick is far cheaper than diddling with junk hardware.

For this I would "use a router as a WAP" (see google) to get a good WiFi WAP working.

Then if the USB stick is not working I'd get one I use that works better.
Bob

Collapse -
hm
by Kris-S / January 31, 2013 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: Let's get this clear.

i changed back to the superhub but it's even worse than before, extremely slow speeds (2 bars with the hub direct facing me from below) and i can't change the b+g mode as it's hardwired in, i can only enable a mode that changes the signal to N, tried numerous channels, changed from 54 to 144 and then 300, neither made a difference, changed security mode.. nothing seems to be working.. the only time something did work was as i stated the G mode on the secondary router but again that dropped the wireless connections often

Collapse -
rr
by Kris-S / January 31, 2013 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: hm

i've ordered a 30 meter ethernet cable for £4 so when that gets here everything should be fine but this thing is by far the worst "product" from the ISP yet, i hear with the way it's designed that the signal can only go as far as a house in distance, so technically i'm on the "edge" of the signal range, maybe this is why.. but still..

Collapse -
30 meter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: rr

I didn't see that detail at the top or I would have had a different answer. For speed tests you try this at 20 feet or about 6 meters.
Bob

Collapse -
rr
by Kris-S / February 1, 2013 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: 30 meter.

it's fine now, got the other router hooked up cause i found some settings that i didn't know about, mainly centered around putting the router's IP into the hub's DMZ section, then turning off wireless for the hub and a few other stuff, can still use the hub for wired connections and wireless seems more stable even at its 2 bars.. it's not dropping and i get decent speeds

the issue wasn't speed tests, it was the sub 100kb i got over wireless with the router and hub with a plethora of different settings and the wireless connections losing connectivity randomly, will still switch to wired when it arrives but for now this will suffice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.