Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Setup, Printer Server etc

by gschinadoll / January 26, 2006 7:02 AM PST

I have a Sony Vaio, RS420 with 77gb available, windows xp sp2.
I rec'd a printer server (Motorola WPS870G)and a wireless-g w/speed booster adapter (Linksys WMP54GS) from my son-in-law for Christmas. I wanted to be able to use my second printer from across the room. After I installed the adapter I realized I needed a router. (Which I had asked my son-in-law about but he didn't think I needed one) I purchased a router (Linksys Wireless G Broadband WRT54GS) yesterday. I am confused now about the set-up. My adapter directions said I could use a thumb drive to download the settings of my different peripherals and then connect back to my desktop. My second printer has only ethernet ports. My printer server directions say to connect it first to my routerand then to the printer server and then to disconnect and connect to my printer after using the CD. Is there an easy way to get all these working together. I just want to be able to access the printer across the room without running wires across the room. Also it says,to hook up the router, I need the cable connection info, which I don't have. This also might be a stupid question, but is it possible to use a monitor without connection to the desktop, wireless monitor? I also have a scanner that i have no room for on my desk that I would like to access. Sorry this is so long. I've never submitted a question before. I try to read up first but I'm past beginner questions but don't know enough about this not to have to ask.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Setup, Printer Server etc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Setup, Printer Server etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there are something you can and can not do..
by Melati Hitam / January 26, 2006 3:18 PM PST

Let's see you have now:
Sony Vaio, RS420

1. wireless-g w/speed booster adapter (Linksys WMP54GS)
2. a router (Linksys Wireless G Broadband WRT54GS)
3. printer server (Motorola WPS870G) -
4. second printer has only ethernet port (connect this, directly to the Router)... --- If you only need this printer to be networked, you don't need the print server ---

Question, what about the first printer?? ---

and

a scanner, that you want to connect wirelessly (I don't think you can do this, you need a scanner with a network/wireless capability)

and you want a wireless monitor (for this, what you need is a monitor that have a wireless feature, google it.. you might find one, maybe one that used Bluetooth)

Now, the basic connection would be:

Cable/DSL Modem --> Access point/Router (Linksys Wireless G Broadband WRT54GS) ---> Computer AND other devices, such as, Printer Server (Motorola WPS870G) --> printer, network printer, etc.

First, you need to make sure your wired and/or
wireless network works and function as it would.

Then (If you still need it) connect your Print server to the router, and install the drivers (read the manual, and follow step by step -- you may need to add port and IP address into it)

Then, connect the (First printer, if you like, using USB or Parralel port), to the print server, and install the drivers on every computer that need it... (you need the information that you get when you install the print server, such as port name and IP address)

--- remember, that the second printer, already have an Ethernet port, that you connect directly to the router!! ---

I hope you get the picture of what I'm talking about.

Good Luck

Collapse -
something you can and can not do
by gschinadoll / January 31, 2006 3:19 AM PST

Thank you for your quick response. I will try setting this all up and let you know how it worked. I do not have a laptop or other computer that needs to access these printers and scanner. I have an Epson printer hooked up to my desktop computer (the one I just installed the adapter in) I just need to be able to access the HP photo printer across the room and wishfully the scanner too. I have no room on or near to my desk for the second printer and scanner. I can't tell if I needed the router at all or just the printer server and adapter. I guess I'll just have to try them both ways.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
wireless printing
by klrxsuicide / April 10, 2008 12:34 PM PDT

If you have a wireless router/access point. I would just share all of the devices while connected to the tower, the tower must be on to access them but the wireless print server is not going to work properly with a mulitfunction device! if you attach everything to the tower and share it across the network you should be able to find and install all of the devices remotely without the print server at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.