Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Router Setup Problem (Netgear)

by subhjinx / August 15, 2006 7:21 AM PDT

I have gone thru numerous forums and tried implementing all that was suggested but nothing really helped much
it will be great if someone can give a step by step process.
let me explain my problem.
I have a ADSL modem connected to my laptop directly.
Now the Local IP address of the ADSL modem was 192.168.1.1. (MY laptop's static IP was 192.168.1.2)
(laptop had the DNS and alternate DNS addresses also).
Now I intend to connect the Wireless Netgear Router to the ADSL modem and connect to the internet thru an wireless connection from my laptop.
Following the netgeat setup process from its CD, i got a final message which said that it cant detect a internet connection.
Thereafter after quite some playing around i found that the IP address of the router was 192.168.1.1 (same as that of the router).. I can access 192.168.1.1 webpage (router's webpage).
I hence changed the router's local IP to 192.168.1.2 and disabled laptop's static IP).
But that also didnt help as it cant access the internet.
However if i connect the CAble from the ADSL modem to the router to one of the 4 ports and not the WAN port, and laptop to router thru any of the other ports then I can access the internet from my laptop, but then this doesnt setup the wireless network I intend to setup.
Anybody can tell me how I can proceed.
ANy help will be immensely appreciated.
Thanks

(I know the passwords of both the netgear router setup page as well as the ADSL modem setup, I wud prefer not to mess around with the settings of the ADSL modem as it was setup by the ISP when they installed everything at my home)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Router Setup Problem (Netgear)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Router Setup Problem (Netgear)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DHCP
by Darton Fury / August 15, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

The dsl modem/gateway is acting as a DHCP server, assigning IP addresses, subnet mask, and default gateway. But the Netgear router is also, so you have a problem. I would disable DHCP on the modem/gateway and let the wireless router do this (if the gateway doesn't meet your wireless needs.)

Collapse -
Hi
by subhjinx / August 15, 2006 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: DHCP

Hi,
Thanks for ur suggestion but I checked the Modem settings and it says DHCP is False. so DHCP is not enabled at the Modem end..

Collapse -
I have a Netgear Router
by PudgyOne / August 15, 2006 6:43 PM PDT

I have a Netgear router. I am also connect to Verizon DSL using a Westell 6100 Modem/Router. It uses the ip of 192.168.1.1

I contacted Netgear Tech support. I had to change my ip for the Netgear router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.7.1 to get everything to work. It works great. If it's a new Netgear router, register it and then contact Netgear Tech suport and they will walk you through the process

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
help
by subhjinx / August 15, 2006 7:51 PM PDT

can you tell me what needs to be done to change the Netgear Router IP to 192.168.7.1

Collapse -
Thanks
by subhjinx / August 15, 2006 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: help

Thanks.. i figured out hw to change the IP address of the router and changed it to a diff domian from that of my modem and its working now..
Thanks pudgy...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome, Thanks for posting back
by PudgyOne / August 16, 2006 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
change of router ip?
by mlmc03 / August 17, 2006 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Hey there. I'm new to this whole network thing. And I also have a Netgear router. I'm on day 4 of trying to figure out the damn thing. Finally today I was able to access the internet thru the router connected to my laptop. Now I'm trying to figure out the wireless part of it. I wanted to give what you tried a shot but am wondering how it was that you chaged your router ip? My notebook recognizes the wireless connection, it just wont log me on to the net when I unplug the network cable to go wireless.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
-mary

Collapse -
Changing IP
by kwkid / August 17, 2006 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: change of router ip?

Mary,

First, if you can connect via ethernet cable, then changing your IP address will not help you, matter of fact, it may cause you to lose your connection, hard to say based on the limited info we have at this point. Can you please provide us with:

Computer Info - as much as you know
Router Info - primarily Model number and make

And as much detail as possible about the problem and what you have already done. This will allow us to at least point you and us in the right direction. Thanks and please let us know.

Collapse -
More information is needed
by PudgyOne / August 20, 2006 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Changing IP

More information is needed to help them with their problem. I can see they didn't read this

Can you please provide us with:

Computer Info - as much as you know
Router Info - primarily Model number and make

And as much detail as possible about the problem and what you have already done. This will allow us to at least point you and us in the right direction.

You were a big help in getting me going in the right direction. I had one problem where I couldn't clear the dns cache. It turns out I put in a hosts file, which for the time being does NOT work, and the instructions were

[Important Notice - 2K/XP Users]
In most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs
in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and Windows ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
Select: Manual, click Apply/Ok and restart.

If you follow these instructions it will NOT allow you to clear the dns cache.

Still looking for a solution for my hosts files.

Thanks again for your helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Me too!
by Marketect / August 20, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: change of router ip?

I am having the same issues, only this is day 2 for me. I am trying to get my destop (leaving it wired) to work with the router and vonage. But at 2am this morning, I gave it up. It will find a wirless connection, but ie won't load.

Both systems are winxp

Collapse -
I also need help, can someone list some steps I have to do?
by johnnyoz / August 28, 2006 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too!

hi I also am new to this. I am setting up a netgear router to Verizon DSL Westell 6100 modem. It works fine until the router is placed between the desktop and the modem, then I lose the internet connection. I was on the phone with Netgear and then Verizon and then my DSL modem quit according to Verizon. they are sending me a new one DSL modem. Netgear told me I need to have Verizon configure my dsl for a bridge. I really am confused at this point. Where do I start? Also, Netgear had me change my IP address to 192.198.10.1 and then it still didnt work. thanks for any help you can give me. J-

Collapse -
Change the Netgear
by PudgyOne / August 28, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

router ip to 192/168.7.1 and it should work

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
ADSL +Netrgear Wireless router
by deepika_aman / August 30, 2006 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Change the Netgear

I am also facing the same problem. Moment i connect model lan wire to router and one lan from router to my laptop. I am not able to ping 192.168.1.1

How to change router IP.
Pl. help. I am trying for last 3 days.

Collapse -
No connection problem
by maw274 / September 9, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

I have a similar problem of no connection when my new Netgear WNR834B router is between my new Dell 1405 laptop (which has Draft-N capability as well as a/b/g). I can connect directly to my Insight cable broadband connection (road runner) via ethernet from the laptop to the Motorola cable modem, but when I go through the steps to install the router, it continues to say, "no connection," and then instructs me to check the physical connections, which I've done at least 50 times.

On this forum, several of you have advised people to reset their router's IP address -- how does one do this? Is this something I should try?

Thanks.

Collapse -
The 2 usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2006 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: No connection problem

1. The router is dead.

2. The owner set the IP addresses manually in the PC.

Hope this helps. In the end of your post "it" lost meaning so I'm reading "it" to be your laptop.

bob

Collapse -
NetGear Router issues with Verizon DSL
by johnnyoz / September 12, 2006 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: The 2 usuals.

I finally got the wireless to work. Not exactly sure of the steps, but I figure I would post what NetGear told me to do with Verizon DSL, maybe it will help someone. The IP address was not my problem, but the DSL settings were the issue. Make sure that the DSL is set to Bridge Mode and not PPoE. Also make sure the DSL settings on the modem for DHCP server is disabled. Verizon walked me thru the Bridge Mode, but NetGear found the issue of the DHCP no being disabled. Once that was done, it worked right away. Between the discussions here, the Verizon DSL help line and NetGear helpline, and 7 hours of frustration (not 20 minutes like the manual said), I am up and running. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
question
by scriv3490 / October 14, 2006 1:45 PM PDT

how do you disable the dhcp and switch the modem into bridge mode?

Collapse -
DSL/netgear router issues
by momoscafe / October 29, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

Hi there,

I've been struggling with Verizon DSL Westell 6100 modem/Netgear wireless router issues for months and gave up. Hopefully you can help explain step by step what to do to help!

You had said in earlier postings:
''Make sure that the DSL is set to Bridge Mode and not PPoE. Also make sure the DSL settings on the modem for DHCP server is disabled. Verizon walked me thru the Bridge Mode, but NetGear found the issue of the DHCP no being disabled. Once that was done, it worked right away''

What does this mean, and how do I change these settings step by step. I'm obviously super newbie!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Netgear router, Westell 6100, and Verizon DSL service
by turkeybuzzard / October 29, 2006 4:19 AM PST

I finally got this configuration working yesterday. As Puddyone suggests the only problem he and I had was that, by default, the IP addresses for the modem and the router are the same. So the steps are:

1. Connect the modem to the router, and wire the computer to one of the router LAN ports. Turn everything off.
2. Turn on the modem and use a paper clip to reset the modem to its default settings. One of the lights will turn red. Then wait two min until all the lights are solid. Now turn on the routers and reset it to its default settings in the same way. Then wait a min and turn on the PC.
3. Open a browser window and navigate to http://192.168.1.1/ with login = admin, and password = password. Use the Setup Wizzard to setup the router.
4. On the router configuration menu select LAN IP SETUP and change the router's LAN IP ADDRESS from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1. Click APPLY and wait for the configuration to be stored. When the progress bar stops, close the browser window and shut down the computer.
5. Cycle the power on the router and after a minute turn on the PC. Open a browser window and you should be on the internet.
6. Navigate to http://192.168.10.1, login, and set the wireless settings as directed in the setup guide.

My error was that I incorrectly overrode the router basic setting for "Does you Internet Service requuire a login?" to "YES" when it should be "NO" for Verizon in my area.

Collapse -
Verizon DSL Westell 6100 modem with Netgear Router
by turkeybuzzard / October 23, 2006 3:35 PM PDT

Hi Jonnyoz -- You posted the solution that fixed your DSL + Router problem but the thread got too long. You said to make sure the DSL modem is set to Bridge Mode. So it looks like you set "Protocol" to "Bridge". Did you also have to set "Mode" to "Bridge" or "Routed Bridge"?

Thanks,
Turkeybuzzard

Collapse -
Simple solution
by PudgyOne / October 24, 2006 7:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Westell 6100 and Netgear WPN824 router
by turkeybuzzard / October 25, 2006 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple solution

Hi Rick and thanks,

I assume you left the DSL modem on it's default settings and left everything else on the router at default. I tried setting a new IP address of the router as you suggested -- but still could not see the modem from the router. The DHCP server enable box on the router is checked by default and so the router automatically adjusted the start and end addresses of the DHCP service to be just above the suggested IP address for the router. Does your Netgear router have DHCP service on by default? Did you make any changes to you Westell 6100 setup?

Thanks,
Dave

Collapse -
To see the Westell 6100
by PudgyOne / October 25, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

tyep in the address bar

http://192.168.1.1/

I put a password on the Westell Modem/router for some protection.

On my Netgear WGR614v6 I have clicked on Wireless settings and changed the name of the SSID.

I also have under Security options
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)enabled with a special password. If you enable this, it will protect your system from most people trying to gain access. If you use a wireless printer router, you'll have to set this up again after you enable the WPA-PSK protection.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Wireless Router Setup Problem (Netgear)
by daspulack / October 30, 2006 11:33 PM PST

Step1:

First connect the internet through your ADSL modem connecting the cable to your laptop.

once the browsing starts properly with the static ip address.

Step2: insert the cd which came along with the netgear wireless router. follow the steps which comes in the default pages that appear instantly. do not remove the cable from the laptop at that point in time.

Step3: after the process is over change the cable of the ADSL router to the wan port of the wireless router and then check whether u r getting the wireless lan to your laptop. if it displays the connecting to wirless lan then check for the internet browsing on it.

I hope this should do the trick for you.

Collapse -
Solution - thanks!
by beckybear72 / August 17, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

Thank you, turkeybuzzard! Your post is 3 years old, so you'll probably never see this reply, but you saved me and I owe you a beer.

Your method of setting up the Verizon Westell 6100 with the Netgear WGT624 was exactly right. I tried several times and several permutations of putting the Westell in bridge mode, turn off DHCP, change the IP address of the Netgear router, all to no avail. I even tried leaving out the netgear router and setting up a PPPoE connection on my machine and that didn't work.

In the end what I had to do was exactly what you said:

1) Westell modem set to routed bridge, DHCP on

2) System reset to defaults on the netgear router and changed the IP address.

3) In the netgear router setup, select "No" for "Does your internet service provider require a login?" and automatic for all the DNS, DHCP questions.

And, it worked. So apparently, this westell modem wants to be the head MF in charge or it doesn't play nice.

Thank you for saving me from many more hours banging my head against the wall. When I had Earthlink, bridging the modem and setting up the connection in netgear router worked fine. Go figure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.