Networking & Wireless

Question

Wireless Router

by caribknight / January 24, 2013 3:00 AM PST

Hi i was wondering if there was a way t boost the signal of a wireless router using another wireless router what I mean is that am receiving wireless signal but it is weak can I use another wireless router in my place to boost the signal >

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely and my favorite setup it to ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Router

Use a Router As a WAP.

I set that up, connect a cable from LAN port to LAN port and I can put the second router (as a WAP) closer to the area that needs more coverage.
Bob

PS. Google "How to use a router as a WAP" for this common setup.

Collapse -
Routher
by caribknight / January 24, 2013 7:11 AM PST

My router is in another apt next door t the main router.

Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Routher

Get a WiFi Client to receive the WiFi and then off to the Router As A WAP..

The WiFi Client would be located in the best possible location. Figure about 20 to 30 bucks more.
Bob

Collapse -
Router
by caribknight / January 24, 2013 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: No problem.

The signal on my laptop is weak and i would like to boost it up I have a linksys modem/router an dI would like to boost the signal that am getting now if it can be done sorry should've explain this before .

Collapse -
Thought I covered that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Router

Sorry, tell me what you didn't understand about setting up a client and then off to the next router as a WAP.
Bob

Collapse -
wireless
by caribknight / January 25, 2013 12:27 AM PST

The main router is nt my router and I am getting free wifi so I do not have access to the mail router

Collapse -
"mail router"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: wireless

Sorry but the method I noted using a client device and another router was noted. It would not require access to the host router.

However, if you needed to talk to the owner of the host, that would never be an issue here. That is, only moochers would not be able to do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless
by caribknight / January 25, 2013 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: "mail router"?

Thanks for all your help forgive me but I have no idea what a wifi client is I have never heard that phase before can you explain or can you pint me to a site where I can learn about them thanks again

Collapse -
Wireless
by caribknight / January 25, 2013 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless

I already have a router all I need to do is configure it to boost the signal for my laptop .

Collapse -
Example WiFi Client.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless

The client would be placed where you get the best signal then wired to the LAN port of the router "configured as a WAP."

This is a very common setup to extend coverage. Here's a client I use.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/

So you setup the client on the PC, setup the router as a WAP (see google) and set the client in the best signal location and then off to the router as WAP via the LAN port.
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless
by caribknight / January 25, 2013 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: Example WiFi Client.

So all I have to do now is get a client and set it up thanks very much for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.