TVs & Home Theaters forum

wireless rear channel surround sound speaker options?

by tango9051 / April 25, 2011 4:26 AM PDT

Hi folks- I was wondering about ideas for deploying wireless rear channel surround sound speakers for a wired home theater system.

The one solution I keep coming across is the rocketfish unit, but you still have to wire the rear speakers to the remote unit. I've also heard Sony makes something to but I can't seem to find anything about a Sony rear channel wireless kit.

Are these the only options available? Interested in folks advice. Thanks!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless rear channel surround sound speaker options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless rear channel surround sound speaker options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sony S-AIR- mixed reviews
by Pepe7 / April 25, 2011 4:55 AM PDT

I believe you may be referring to the S-AIR, which has generally mixed reviews. It requires you to have A/C power near the rears to plug in the separate transmitter. Not exactly ideal IMNSHO.

Collapse -
by tango9051 / April 26, 2011 12:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. We just moved into a new house. The media room is prewired for surround so no problem there. However we have a large living room with vaulted ceilings and to get the rear channels wired is going to be a monumental task. I guess I should go ahead & get an estimate from someone who might be able to do it & compare that $ to the various options.

As an alternative we could buy the fully wireless home theater systems but paying close to $1,000 for one seems way overkill to me thus I was looking for a cheap solution.

Collapse -
To tango9051
by Pepe7 / April 26, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

Yeah, it shouldn't be too complicated to get those wired up. Since it's a new house I definitely suggest you do it right the first time instead of regretting you have stuck yourself with comparably cruddy wireless sound.

Collapse -
Aperion's Zona - a wireless surround option
by Edfuente / April 27, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: To tango9051

Hey there, just in answer to your question searching for wireless surround speaker options I thought you may want to learn about my company's (where I work) solution introduced in Oct. 2010. CNET provides an overview here:

No pitch from me, just thought you might want to consider this for your situation. The $499.00 system price might be more than you were looking to spend. If you'd like to know more, the product page is at:

If you have any questions, I'd be a happy to answer them. Good luck with your new home theater.

Collapse -
Problem- he would still have to run power
by Pepe7 / April 28, 2011 1:14 AM PDT

While the Aperion might be a good solution, the OP would still likely get more bang for the buck running traditional wired rears in the new home. The reduced expense of not having to add another AC outlet in combination with the superior sound quality and greater selection of (less expensive, mind you) wired speakers would be the deal breaker for me at least. YMMV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.