Computer Newbies forum

Question

Wireless Printer

by 70441.2227 / December 30, 2012 3:04 AM PST

Hi,
I recently bought a wireless printer. It was an aio printer. It would replace three aging printers in my home office. So, I opened up the box and started to read the directions. I quickly found out this was above my skill level. And, the directions were of little help. So, this is my question: How do you install a wireless printer to run on three desktop computers and a laptop computer? By the way, I am not running a network. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Without a network you are making it harder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Printer

You can try the AD HOC setup but since you admit it's above your current skills I'll answer I would try AD HOC but stop there and tell you to get the person that does your support to come set it up.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Get a network
by ChuckT / December 30, 2012 3:45 AM PST

Trying to get four computers to utilize one printer without a network can be done but not without great difficulty and you are still need to get some switches and cables. Doing this with an AIO (All In One) printer (trying to also use the scanner, FAX, perhaps a media reader, etc.) and you will have even more problems.

Don't try it. That really be more difficult than just setting up a network. Plus, your AIO printer probably already came with an easy setup disk to setup all the features of the printer to as many computers you have on your network. There are a lot of advantages to having a network and even if you don't want to involve, or learn, yourself, it is not that hard. You might be able to get a friend, or local kid, who would probably be glad to show you.

Make it easy on yourself, get a network.

Collapse -
Answer
What do you mean you don't have a network?
by volvogirl / January 1, 2013 2:46 PM PST

How are your computers connecting to the internet? Do you have a wireless router? I didn't set up an official "network" for all of my computers. I got an HP wireless printer that I can print from any computer and my iPads. Just plugged it in and gave it my wireless password. It has it's own address. I installed the cd on each computer.

Collapse -
Connecting a wireless computer....
by 70441.2227 / January 2, 2013 3:10 PM PST

Hi, Thanks for the interest. My desktop computers are connected to the internet by cat-5 cables. My laptop has a wireless connection. So, I have a router that connects computers by wire or wireless connections. How did you connect the desktop computers wirelessly to the router? Also, I bought a Canon wireless AIO printer. I'm not so sure I understand the process to make these "connect". The first thing I did was unpack the printer and turn it on. I was assuming it would connect with one of my desktop computers. I could not find a printer linked to my desktop computer. Plus, my printer didn't ask me for anything about entering my password or any recognition that it was looking for a connection. There must be more to it. I would really appreciated if you could help me.

Thanks

Collapse -
So you do have a network
by ChuckT / January 3, 2013 1:53 AM PST

When you connected to the Internet via cat-5 cables, THAT'S your network. Follow those cables to the one point that they are all going to and that is your router. Depending upon your network hardware it may also be your wireless point, and maybe also your Internet Modem, but don't worry about that, for now. All we care about is that you have a network.

You do NOT want to connect your printer to any of your computers. To do that it makes the printer local to that one computer and in order for any of the other computers to print to it you'd have to learn how to setup Sharing on that one connected to computer and how to utilize Sharing on the others. That's more complicated that just simply having a networked printer.

To connect a printer to your network, the absoluter simplest way is if your printed has a wired network connect already monitor. Because you said your printer has a wireless connection we know it is ready for a network, but that does not mean it has the wired port. Not all wireless printers also have a wired port. If you had told us the model of the printer we probably could have told you. If it does have a wired port you just plug it into an open port on your router. That's all. Then just go to each computer and search for a networked printer (see the Add Printer area).

To just use the printer for printing you usually don't have to do anything else. Your Windows will probably discover a usable driver for printing all by itself. If you want to use the other features of this AIO printer then it is best to use the setup disk that should have come with the printer.

As for connecting this printer, or any of your desktop computers wirelessly to your network requires that each has their own wireless hardware. We know that your AIO does. You will have to check your desktops to see if they do. To connect to the wireless signal is similar to how your wireless laptop is already doing so... you search for the wireless SSID and enter in your wireless password for that SSID.

The wireless setup for the printer will be through the Control Panel of the printer. It can sometimes be done through the setup disk of the printer (you only need to do it once, no matter how many computers will be connecting to the printer). But to use the wireless setup via your computer and the setup disk will require a temporary, one time, connection with a USB cable between that one computer and your printer. Once it is done you will be disconnecting the USB cable.

Collapse -
I guess I do....
by 70441.2227 / January 14, 2013 1:27 PM PST

Hi,
The model of my wireless printer is Canon Pixima MG6120 and yes it does have a cat-5 port. All I have to do is plug it in to my router and install it on each of my computers. One of the only things I don't understand is do I just leave my desktop computers hard wired to the router? Or, do I go completely wireless and get a:
ASUS USB-N10 IEEE WI-FI Adapter - 802.11N, USB 2.0, EZ WPS, 150 Mbps for each computer?

How do I do This:
As for connecting this printer, or any of your desktop computers wirelessly to your network requires that each has their own wireless hardware. We know that your AIO does. You will have to check your desktops to see if they do. To connect to the wireless signal is similar to how your wireless laptop is already doing so... you search for the wireless SSID and enter in your wireless password for that SSID.

What is this about:

The wireless setup for the printer will be through the Control Panel of the printer. It can sometimes be done through the setup disk of the printer (you only need to do it once, no matter how many computers will be connecting to the printer). But to use the wireless setup via your computer and the setup disk will require a temporary, one time, connection with a USB cable between that one computer and your printer. Once it is done you will be disconnecting the USB cable.

Does this mean to install the printer is setup between the dvd reader and the printer I install the installation disk?

Sorry, I think I almost have it.....
Bob

Collapse -
Re: setup between the dvd reader and the printer
by ChuckT / January 15, 2013 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: I guess I do....

Huh? what?
What DVD reader? Are you talking about the computer that has a DVD drive in it?

First, you do not have to use the CD (or DVD if that is what you were given) to install your wireless printer to your network. The ability is probably there, and it might be easier for the less knowing individual of how to do the wireless setup. But, if the setup disk has the ability, it will probably require you to TEMPORARILY plug in a USB cable between the computer (which is using the disk, CD or DVD) installation program, and your printer. It requires this only to setup the parameters of the wireless setting will need. You DO NOT need to use that disk! But to not do so, to do it manually, will then require you to know what values to enter through the control panel of the printer. Not really too difficult, if you know how to follow step-by-step written procedures... some people can't do that, and thus those setup disks are created for them.

So, once more I say, to use the setup disks you will have a USB cable plugged in only long enough to pass the parameters from the on-screen directions on your computer over to the printer. Once that is done, then you will be disconnecting the USB cable. You do not want to continue to use the USB cable since that is a one-computer-use connection. Instead, by having the printer on your network (either wired via the cat-5 connection or wirelessly) will have your printer accessible to any computer on your network.

If you decide to have your computers, or printer, connected hardwired or wireless is really up to you. If I had a choice, of one over the other, I would go with the wired connection, since it it plug and play (after you make the as-expected installion of printer driver (most times that is automatic - for just the printer function) plus wired is, most times, faster. But, if running the cat-whatever cable is an issue then you can either opt for wireless or (and I recommend) - Enet over powerline.

Enet over powerline is also, most times, just a plug and play, but it requires those adapters at every location, which can be pricey.

Whereas, going wireless, while it also requires adapter at every connection - and your printer already has that - but your other computers ... I have no idea if you do or not. Connecting wirelessly, is really not too hard, all you need it your home SSID (the name you call your own wireless signal) and your signals password, something that you should have setup yourself.

There are advantages/disadvantages for every type of network connection. You are the one who has to determine where your best advantage is.

But to re-iterate, the USB connection (only to use the disk setup of a wireless printer) is only used one time, from one computer. And then you remove it. You do not do it later, or continue using it.

Collapse -
Do I Need it...
by 70441.2227 / January 16, 2013 8:55 AM PST

Hi
I got the printer up and running. I connected to the wireless network. I tried to detect it through the Control Panel. But, it didn't detect any printer at all. What should my next step be? I printed out a Network Configuration Page and it showed the printer installed, active, and on the network.

Thanks

Collapse -
If the printer is on the network
by ChuckT / January 17, 2013 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Do I Need it...

Since you say that the printer is on the network, and especially since you see it on your network configuration page, then the printer should be easily found by adding a printer via the control panel selection.

What I think you may be doing is selection the wrong command when you select the adding a printer. Depending upon your version of Windows you may see a selection for a local printer, or for a networked printer. If you are given those selections then it is the networked printer that you want.

I have Windows 7 Home Prem here, and I have never had this computer on this network before (I am visiting a relative) and when I just selected "Add a device" command and it immediately saw the networked printer here. It also added the printer driver for me, too.

If you are not getting the same results then, and if you are also running Win7, then perhaps your printer is already added. I've noticed that one the printer is added then it does not get automatically added to the list once it has already been installed.

But, I don't think you really want to add just your printer anyway. I think you said you have an AIO (All-In-One) and if that is so, you really would be better served by using that manufacturer's setup program for installing all the other services. You do not need to use the USB cable this time, since the setup should be smart enough to see that you have your printer on the network, now.

One other clarification, of something you said in an earlier post, and I'm not sure you have it clear yet. You do not need to have all your devices, computers and whatnot, connected the same way, that is, all wired, or all wireless. You can mix them all. On my home network I have devices connected via wired, and some are wireless, and some are wired but using powerline Enet. As long as all somehow connect to the central point, and that is your router (usually) then all are getting assigned a network address trom that one point. Usually home networks will have addresses in the 192.168.1.x or the 192.169.2.x range. (where x = something between 1 and 255)

Good luck with your further configuration, you are almost there, and I don't think there is much more I can tell you here. Just re-read what is already said, and I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Collapse -
An example for my Canon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Do I Need it...

After the printer is on my WiFi network I have to install the printer driver and during that install it asks me if the printer is local or on WiFi. The Control Panel was never used.

There are other issues with today's routers. For example on Page 43 of
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200/DGN2200_UM_3Feb11.pdf

""Your modem router has a firewall that blocks unauthorized access to your wireless network and permits authorized inbound and outbound communications. Authorized communications are established according to inbound and outbound rules. The firewall has the following two default rules. You can create custom rules to further restrict the outbound communications or more widely open the inbound communications:
• Inbound. Block all access from outside except responses to requests from the LAN side.
• Outbound. Allow all access from the LAN side to the outside"

Notice how an inbound access from WiFi is blocked? You'll want to change that if your router has such.
Bob

Collapse -
Finished at last.....Or, am I?
by 70441.2227 / January 17, 2013 10:43 PM PST

Hi,
I used the CD from Canon to finish installing my wireless printer on the network. Bob, it did ask if I wanted to install the printer on the network. Thanks for the info. Thanks to everyone for the input, especially to Chuck.
I still have a few questions. First, I would like to install the software that came on the CD to all the computers on the network.. Is there a way to do that so everyone can use the programs. Thinking about it, I don't see a way to accomplish that. Or, am I missing a way to do it? Secondly, are all the computers independent in the network. For example, say you are trying to print something and one of the computers is turned off will all the other computers function (e.g. print) normally?

Thanks,
Bob

Collapse -
For my Canon I don't use the CD. WHY!!!!????
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 12:29 AM PST

Because Canon has newer drivers on their web site. And yes I will install that on each PC that needs to print.
Bob

Collapse -
Trying to install the software...
by 70441.2227 / January 22, 2013 12:49 AM PST

Hi,

I've tried to install the software for the printer on my Win 8 PC. The first thing it does is try to install the drivers. It tells me the drivers files are in use and I can't get past that to install the software. I've rebooted my computer with no luck. What program would have the drivers locked and how do I get around it? The printer works fine.

Collapse -
Ahh. Windows 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 1:02 AM PST

You'll have to wait for drivers if Canon.com doesn't have them.
Bob

Collapse -
All the computers are independent
by ChuckT / January 18, 2013 8:08 AM PST

The nice thing about having a printer, or any device, on a network is that any computer can use any other server on your network as long as your network is up. The only thing you need running is the devices you are using.

If you had a hundred computers and one printer, and 99 of the computers were shut off except for the one you are using, but you need to print to your one printer, which must also be running, you sure as heck can.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.