PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Wireless Printer

by moondoggie80030 / December 2, 2012 5:06 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S005 that is connectd to my router network. I also have an HP Officejet J6480 that is connected to the same router. The problem I have is I can't get the printer to go online. How do I get it to change status to "online" ? The computer is using Windows 7.

moondoggie80030 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by moondoggie80030

Collapse -
Sorry but you'll have clarify a few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless Printer

You wrote it's connected to the router but it's off line? If the printer connected, it's on line. Maybe you are talking about something on the PC and not the printer (which is the subject you posted under?)
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless Printer
by moondoggie80030 / December 3, 2012 1:14 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. To try to clarify the situation I printed a wireless network test report on the printer which included a diagnostic summary and a configuration summary and everything passed and in order. The computer is connected to the same network and is working. However.when I try to print something from the computer I get a message that it won't print because the printer status is offline.

Collapse -
Did I upset some one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 1:19 AM PST

3 thumbs down working on clarifying is odd.

At this point I'm working as if it never worked and you followed HP's instructions to the letter.

If so, turn off the firewall in the router and repeat HP's install instruction for the non-working PC.

-> Details matter such as what this "working" means. I would be guessing other PCs work fine. Also I'd be guessing if the drivers are the latest from HP.com
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless Printer
by moondoggie80030 / December 3, 2012 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Did I upset some one?

Thanks for the suggestion to turn off the firewall. That was the problem and now I can print.

George

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 6:09 AM PST

Routers for years didn't have this because part of what they do meant that any unsolicited incoming connection was dropped at the router. Later as the scare mongers wrote about firewalls this idea crept into routers to block machines inside the LAN.

The results speak for themselves.
Bob

Collapse -
Have the same problem
by memawof3 / December 12, 2012 7:20 PM PST

I have this identical problem, my printer worked fine (printed wirelessly) before I upgraded my router. Bob would you explain how to turn off the router firewall? In very basic language please, I'm not very techie at all. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sadly that is the plain language.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Have the same problem

To write more I'd have to have the router make, model and preferably the link to the manual so I can see what page the setting is noted on.

It's called the firewall, it's in new routers and often we have to turn it off. Sadly the next question from many is whether it compromises security or questions I think the router maker deserves.
Bob

Collapse -
Router make and model
by memawof3 / December 14, 2012 2:15 AM PST

It is an Action Tec C1000A. I have no idea where the manual is located. Thanks

Collapse -
I've subscribed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Router make and model

When you post I get an email later. If you find a manual, post a link to it and I'll get a notification.

You may want to consider returning it if they have no manual. It's a technical device that should have a manual.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.