Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wireless on Dell latitude D600 not working, please help

by james_georgee / November 30, 2009 7:56 AM PST

Hi Friends,
I recently bought a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.
My issue is Wireless is not working, even i cannot see the wireless icon which use to showup in the system tray.

I can successfully connect to internet using LAN Cable, so i am sure the network is active...but some issue with the wireless...experts please help...

Thanks and Regards,
James George

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless on Dell latitude D600 not working, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless on Dell latitude D600 not working, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 8:34 AM PST

I find that some install XP, the wifi drivers but didn't know one Dell secret.

To turn on the wifi we must install, use Dell Quickset.
Bob

Collapse -
No luck even after installing dell quickset too
by james_georgee / November 30, 2009 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try the usual.
Collapse -
In addition
by Jimmy Greystone / November 30, 2009 8:58 AM PST

In addition to what Bob said, you should be able to toggle the wireless on that model using the Fn + F2 key combo.

But first let's make sure it even HAS the wireless card. Get out your trust phillips head screwdriver and flip the system over. There should be two removable panels held in by a single screw each. It should be the larger one. Take that off and look for something that looks like this:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4036

If it's not under the bigger of the two panels, take the other one off. You won't hurt anything by doing so.

If you don't see something like this under either panel, then you don't have the wireless card, and that would be the source of your problems. In which case feel free to buy one from the link above. They're real simple to put in, since they only fit one way. You just need to connect the black and white antenna wires, which should be in the compartment, and there will be black and white triangles to tell you which goes where.

If you DO see a card like this, and the antennas are connected correctly, see Bob's advice about making sure the drivers are installed. You can get these off Dell's website: http://support.dell.com and just find your specific model or enter in the service tag (white sticker on the under side). There should be drivers for the wireless card there.

If that doesn't do it, your wireless card is likely bad, and will need to be replaced.

Collapse -
Wireless on Dell latitude D600 not working, please help
by james_georgee / November 30, 2009 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: In addition

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I can see an Antenna popup coming up while i press Fn+F2 key, does it indicate the presence of wireless card.

Otherwise I have to open the backside of the laptop as you specified...

Thanks and Regards,
James George.

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 1, 2009 1:27 AM PST

No, that just means that the drivers are likely installed and responding to your actions. There's really no substitute for physically verifying that the hardware is actually there. Especially when it's extremely easy on your particular model.

Collapse -
Thanks Jimmy
by james_georgee / December 1, 2009 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: No

Hi Jimmy,
I am in the process of opening the backside of laptop..need to get a screw driver Happy
I will update you once i do that...

Thanks and Regards,
JJ

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.