Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Network over 500 ft

by sycoogtit / April 7, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

I have a router in location A, which is 500 ft from location B. Location A is indoors, positioned next to a window that you can see location B from. I have tried a normal Netgear G router, a Netgear RangeMax router, a Linksys G with SpeedBooster router (with and without 7 dbi antennae), and a Belkin N router. Nothing gives me a reliable connection. I also tried using a parabolic antenna booster that is somewhat popular on YouTube. Nothing. I also have a Linksys Range Expander at location B. Also nothing. I would be more than happy to just buy a very long ethernet cable and run it from location A to location B, but I have to somehow get from an inside location at location A to outside. I am not sure how to do that.

Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Network over 500 ft
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Network over 500 ft
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2008 6:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
I took your post off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: The links.

Think about it. Do you think this will invite other replies? I thought I'd just toss that one so others won't be put off.

-> Answer my question. Do you think you will spend the money to get this done? I can't count how many were looking for the WOK solution or rather "free."

Bob

Collapse -
Willing
by sycoogtit / April 7, 2008 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I took your post off.

I've already spent over $200 on routers, antennae and range expanders. Yes, I'm willing to spend the time and money on this. I work at home and time is money. My last post was a little overboard, but hopefully you can see where I was coming from. It is insulting for someone to reply with a Google link.

Anyway, I also realized there's a wrought iron fence between the router and the range expander. The posts are about 6 inches apart, so that's probably what's killing me. I'd be willing to run 500 ft of Cat 5, but you're only supposed to be able to do that for 300 ft or so. The space between me is outdoors, so I can't put in a hub or something to extend the Cat 5.

Collapse -
Here's the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2008 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Willing

You'll want to stay inside the limits of the technology and parts you are using. Those woks and such only extend it a bit but don't do a thing for reliability.

So why not take advantage of those links to dissect what others learned? I know how I set up mine. I used ethernet to a midway point and there's a wap out 100 feet to the site. On the other side I used a Netgear wgps606 and ethernet to the final site and there another wifi router.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Steven Haninger / April 7, 2008 8:47 PM PDT

Much depends on who owns the land between the two buildings. Yes, you are right about the 100 meter limit for Cat5. But, if you own the land and can run cable from both "A" and "B" close enough to use wireless bridging to span the remainder of the distance, it might work. You could use PoE devices so no external power supples would be needed. You'd need cable rated for outdoor use. One other method that I know is used in some remote areas employs shortwave radio. I can't tell you how to do this but it would mean complying with FCC requirements. I'm thinking, however, that the modulation/demodulation and radio gear would be expensive and possibly much slower than you'd like.

Collapse -
My experience
by raahuge / April 7, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

I wanted to extend wireless network to arround 700 feet. I used three linksys WAP54G access pints. The first one with 6dB outdoor omni antennas. The second in wireless repeater mode arround 400 feet from first, in the next building with builtin standard antennas. The last one in the desired location in access point client mode with UTP port connected to switch of remote location. The speed is not very good but suffient for internet applications (Arround 2Mbps).

For you the possible solution is using high gain directional antennas at both ends. I think any directional antenna with gain more than 10dB will give you good results. I have heard that with 14dB you can extend your network to 1KM. Please note that increase in gain of every three dB means doubling of signal strength and also the coverage area. You donot need two antennas at both ends. Just use one antenna at each end, each pointed to the other one, and configure your access points to use that antenna for transmit and recieve signals.

If you have suffient time then google for Canteen antenna which you can build yourself.

Collapse -
Easy, reliable, and fast WiFi for about $240 plus labor :-)
by RTFM / April 8, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Buy two Linksys WRT54GL from www.buy.com for about $60 each.
(This is the Linux version of the router that is easiest to load firmware.)
Buy four cantennas for about $29 each (search for them for cheaper)
Download and load DD-WRT on both routers www.dd-wrt.com
You need dd-wrt as it allows you to boost the wifi power to insane levels.
I am doing this now and get strong and stable fast link 1 mile away!!!
Two things to be aware of:
1) Not legal to transmit at 230mw but my signal is very directional.
2) Pull off the metal shield covering the radio chips and heatsink them. (I burned out a router, duh! )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.