Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless network connection problems with HughesNet

by louielew / August 14, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

Having connection problems and need some help.... I am connecting wirelessly with my Dell D600 laptop (XP SP2) to a linksys WRT305N. I connect to the linksys, can see it, change settings etc. Others are accessing internet fine both on the LAN side and Wireless side of the linksys...... but I receive no packets. I get an IP by means of DHCP and everything seems great, but no internet.
I can take this same laptop down to a local hotspot and connect instantly without any problems.
I guess my question is is there something specific that I need for HughesNet to get to the net?? I have zero experience with HughesNet obviously.

WRT350N v1.03.2

Internet connection (from status screen of WRT350N)
IP: 192.168.02

when I run the ipconfig/all
my ip

Does HughesNet have their nameservers locked out??
idk.. I am at a loss...
Thanks for any help......

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless network connection problems with HughesNet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless network connection problems with HughesNet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a nutshell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

Other machines work, yours does not.

Then it's not a network issue but a busted PC. There are far too many reasons for this to fail. Not one reason is found in your post such as an expired antivirus or other such thing.

I bet if the machine was reloaded with it's OS it might just work.

Collapse -
Even though...
by louielew / August 16, 2009 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: In a nutshell.

I can take this laptop down to the local wifi hot spot in town... power it on... open IE and have internet...
You still think I need to reinstall my OS??

Collapse -
Now that's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2009 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Even though...

I've lost count of the times the owner enabled "MAC FILTERING". If you read our forum sticky we don't advise you do that.

Sorry but given the story it's either that or the typos in your first post need correcting. I'll put in bold where the errors are.

"Internet connection (from status screen of WRT350N)
IP: 192.168.02"

It looks like the old MAC filter or WEP password issue. Both are not what this forum asks for a setup on routers. The reasons are simple. Those cause a lot of grief.

Collapse -
sorry for the typo....
by louielew / August 17, 2009 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Now that's a clue.

I missed a period.... is the correct IP.

Neither the Mac Filtering, or WEP is enabled.

Thanks for trying to help

Collapse -
Then the old reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2009 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry for the typo....

Try NETSH RESET as noted at

But I see that you are doing what is called a DOUBLE NAT. That is, it looks like a router is on the other side of your wifi router. Some owners have real grief with that. Any chances of not having a double nat?

Over at POST 17 of our networking forum is how to configure your wifi router to not do a double nat.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.