Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless network connection is not connected

by mikeybadboy / February 26, 2006 4:09 AM PST

Please somebody help me out on how to connect to internet wirelessly. I have laptop Gateway, Model 4538GZ that built in Intel pro wireless 2200 802.11g.
How can I connect this laptop to internet wireless. Do I need to config any thing else besides just turn it on and it will detect the wireless network by itself. It would be nice if you give me step by step and I will follow it.

Gateway: Windows XP home, 100GHD, 1GRAM

Please help!!!!!!!!!
Appreciated for you help

Thanks a lot

Mike

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless network connection is not connected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless network connection is not connected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends
by joesmithers06 / February 26, 2006 7:38 AM PST

Without knowing how you plan on connecting to the Internet -- personal wireless router, wifi access in an apartment building or dorm, something else -- it's impossible to help.

Collapse -
wireless internet ain't free unless...
by reefurbb / February 26, 2006 8:23 AM PST

you get to a "hotspot", usually within a few hundred feet of a college and other places, or pay for your own ISP. Google "hotspot wifi". Cnet had a wifi free download course.

Collapse -
Mike, Would Hardware Do You Have Already?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 9:36 AM PST

If you're going to be using your own "Home" wireless network, you'll at least need a broadband connection which is then connected to a Wireless Access Point or wireless router. From there, turning on the wireless adapater on your laptop should allow you to pick up the WAP/router's signal IF it's been enabled. Read the links below for general information about the requirements for your wireless connection..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/expert/russell_tabletlaptop.mspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=151543&messageID=1689092&tag=

Remember, after you actually connect, you'll still need to set up the WAP/router so it's secure..Various things like WEP/WPA password, etc. are definitely needed but that comes AFTER you get your connection set up.
Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Wireless connection is not connected
by mikeybadboy / February 27, 2006 9:47 PM PST

Thanks a lot everybody, I've forgot to tell you guys that my laptop didn't even pick up wireless intenet connection at any hot spot areas. I just want to use this laptop at school, coffee shops that have hot spots. But my laptop never picks up the connection. Do I have to do any setup on my laptop in order to recieve any wireless connection? If I have to, what should I do, please help.
Windows XP home, 1G RAM, 100G HD. built in 802.11G wireless connection.

Please help!!!!!!
Thanks again.
Mike

Collapse -
Mike, Have You Turned The Wireless Adapter ON?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 12:08 AM PST

Most laptop computers have a button that enables/disables the wireless adapater. The button will look somewhat like an antenna with radiating waves.

Have you checked the wireless adapter information in Device Manager? On XP, RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then click on the "Hardwared" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. When the Device Manager window opens, click on the + sign next to the "Network Adapters" listing and you'll see your ethernet and wireless adapaters listed. RIGHT click on the Wireless adapter, choose "Properties", then make sure it says "Use this device(Enabled)" at the bottom of the window. If it's not, use the drop down menu to "Enable".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
WEP/WPA password
by mikeybadboy / March 8, 2006 12:58 AM PST

Grif,

Thanks a lot for your help. My laptop can connect to hot spot now, but as you mentioned about WEP/WPA password. I know nothing about it. Can you explain more about this and help me create the password for WEP/WPA.

Thanks again,
Appreciate so much for your help.

Mike.

Collapse -
Mike, If You're Connecting To A Hotspot
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 8, 2006 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: WEP/WPA password

...you may or may not need a password.. Very basic here but the "sender" of the wireless signal (either a hotspot or your home wireless router/access point) must be configured to "request" a WEP/WPA password from the "receiver" in order for you to connect. Since your computer is the "receiver", if the request is not made and you can connect and gain internet access, then there is no need to type in a password phrased. A password is not required in that case. On the other hand, a "secure" wireless access point should have a password requirement. In that case, you'll need to obtain the password from the company using the "sender", then type it into your computer's wireless adapter program. It should be done using the general instructions below:

Configure WPA-PSK on Windows XP

After you've set up your router or access point for WPA-PSK, you'll need to configure the wireless properties on each computer for WPA-PSK as follows:

1. Right-click the wireless connection icon in the notification area, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

2. Select the WPA-PSK capable network you want to attach to by clicking the SSID (Service Set Identifier). As shown in Figure 2, I am configuring the SSID buffalog.

3. Enter the Shared Secret (passphrase) in the Network Key field and again in the Confirm Network Key field as shown in Figure 2. Although the text refers to a network key, the passphrase can be entered here.

4. Click Connect.

If you have your own Wireless router/access point in your house, then you should configure that router with a password requirement. It prevents unauthorized users from gaining access. Here's a link that should help although the router manual will give you specific instructions on how to do it.:

WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
device manager info
by mssanyb / October 14, 2012 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: WEP/WPA password

Thank you for this post, I was ready to blame my son for messing up my laptop until I read this information and everything is back to normal.
Thanks a bunch!

Collapse -
(NT) solved my problem :)
by fc11 / December 15, 2010 12:09 AM PST
Collapse -
complete connection to wireless network on laptop
by nmtenor / October 22, 2006 12:51 PM PDT

Hi have a Dell Notebook with a wireless card. I installed a netgear wireless router on my Dell Desktop. The laptop shows the connection, but I can't connect to the internet. The Card Utility shows Connection Statusas "Authenticating" What do I need to do to complete this setup? Is something blocking? Packets are being sent, but not received.

Collapse -
Terminology Needs To Be Agreed Upon...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

1. It's not really clear to me what you've done.. You state: "I installed a netgear wireless router on my Dell Desktop"...First, you don't really "install" a router on the desktop computer.. Instead, you "connect" the router to the desktop computer using ethernet cables or USB cables, (or possibly a wireless connection) with ethernet being the the most common.. A wireless router should normally be a small box which sits apart from the desktop computer and it should normally have an antenna afixed to the top. The router should be connected to a DSL or cable modem which is then connected to a wall jack. (Sometimes there are combo router/modems which include both devices rolled into one but you get the point..) How is your system set up? IN addition, how is the desktop computer connected to the wireless router? (Is it "wired" or "wireless" and if "wired", are you using ethernet?)

2. What is the operating system of the both computers?

3. Normally, the "Authenticating" message can occur for the reasons below:

a.) The network WEP/WPA password hasn't been typed in.
b.) Router and network adapter firmware needs to be upgraded from the manufacturer's website.
c.) Something is blocking the connection such as a firewall or maybe too much distance/or walls is between the router and the laptop.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
connecting to WPA wireless network
by anilhk / April 4, 2008 6:46 PM PDT

Hi

i do face a similar problem .. can u tell me where do i type in my WEP/WPA userid n password ..

besides my setup is as below

Network authentication: WPA

Data encryption: Auto or AES

Authentication tab.

EAP type: Protected EAP (PEAP)

Make sure all other check boxes unchecked.

Click ?Properties? button to open up PEAP property window

Uncheck ?Validate server certificate?
Select Authentication Method: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
Check ?Enable Fast Reconnect?
Click ?Configure...? button to open up MSCHAP v2 property window.
Uncheck the only check box in this window.
Click ?OK? buttons to close all open windows

Step 3: Logon to wireless network

Double click Network Wireless Connection icon to bring up logon window

Enter your account information (this account information is the account which I have created on the active directory of the server)
Domain field must be : domain name
Click OK to log on

When i click on OK the system just waits with the status "attempting to authenticate" and nothing happens..

pls help .. thanks

Note: I am using client as windows XP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.