Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless N Router with eSATA NAS?

by ara12675 / October 31, 2009 12:09 PM PDT

Does anyone know of a good quality wireless N router with NAS support that connects via eSATA? I am looking to upgrade from wireless g and my external HD only has eSATA port for connecting it. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless N Router with eSATA NAS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless N Router with eSATA NAS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why you don't see such a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 12:01 AM PDT

It's because even at full N speed it still is slower than an USB 2.0 port. There's no reason for this interface on a router today.

Collapse -
There's plenty of reason for this interface.....
by Placidair / December 14, 2010 3:27 AM PST

I need to be able to connect it to my wireless router when home, and take it with me when I'm traveling or onsite at a client and need my VMs with me. And since I can't find an external drive that has both eSATA and Ethernet ports.... a router that has an eSATA port would take care of this. I can find drives (or cases) that are eSATA + USB, USB + Ethernet, but I can't find an external drive (or case) that has both Ethernet and eSATA. And eSATA is enough faster when directly connected to my PC, that I'd rather not be relegated to USB.

Collapse -
I think you missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 3:39 AM PST

Since there is no speed gain and an increase in the cost of the router, you don't find this in common units today.

Sorry if this doesn't help you but there are reasons for this to not happen.

Collapse -
I didn't "miss" anything
by Placidair / April 7, 2011 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I think you missed it.

I simply disagree with you. That YOU don't see a "reason" for it, does not mean that no one else could have a use for it. And whoever said they were looking for a "common" unit?

Your belief that there's no reason for it does not define the reality of those of us who would have used for it.

Collapse -
It will happen
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2011 12:56 PM PDT

But given we have 3 speeds of SATA which all outstrip today's wifi speed, the makers may be hung up on which to offer.

Again, USB's transfer link speed is 480 megabit and for now well beyond wifi speeds.

Have you found this device yet?

I was not going to write but one could make one. Think about it.

Collapse -
by YahooSerious / March 8, 2012 3:08 PM PST
In reply to: It will happen

I have been on the lookout for this feature as well and have exhausted all known avenues to my limited hardware/tech knowledge.
Adapter? Really please let me know if any of you will share your ideas.
I have a 5 drive raid wt multiplier external fitted with all personal media and with to float it up into a cloud unit for the home and remote access too (if thats even possible). The unit has only esata connection and no other.
I have it connected to a Highpoint Rocket Raid 622 and running 24/7 on the back of my win7 x64 PC.

Again if any of you are confident hardware sorcerers please share your ideas!

Collapse -
Let me share my current solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: HQ

I needed something like this and didn't want to leave a PC on because that's usually over 100 Watts.

I ended up using a Netbook. Today's models draw 7 Watts when the screen shuts off so that's close enough for my use.

-> A P3 Watt meter was used to measure this.

Collapse -
My reasoning for this - not so much about wireless
by SparkyParks / February 13, 2014 12:49 AM PST

This 'seems' like a total no-brainer. Here's my situation...

I have multiple wired media centers in my house - all wired, all CAT-5/6 to an patch panel in my utility room where i have a Netgear (the blue one) programmable 16 port Gigabit switch. This runs to my office where my wireless router resides. Right now I have a Windows Home Server connected to it (which has outgrown it's usefulness - single core/not enough to stream media anymore so it's just file storage w/no RAID capabilities > only basic JBOD).

What I would LOVE to see is someone come out with a wireless router with eSATA connector with a RAID chipset built in. The cost of these full NAS systems are ridiculous (talking to you Buffalo, etc) and what you REALLY get in those isn't exactly worth the money considering the low, low cost of basic RAID cards.

My scenario - the wireless router should support up to at least 4 drives (preferably much more) through eSata port replication. Then you just buy a cheap/simple 4-8 bay eSata enclosure for like $100-200 then plug in drives and create your array through the wireless router. Full RAID 5 for example w/hot swap capabilities. It's soooo possible and would be nothing for Netgear, Belkin, Linksys/Cisco to create. Bang for your buck. Even if it jacks up the price of the router $50-75 and the enclosure is $100 for 4 drives you're already at < $200 for EXACTLY what the DROBO/Buffalo drives give you. Then you share the files (media) and expose it via DNLA (only list/not streaming) for your media players to discover & pull down > SMB shares would be fine too. This would be available wired 'and' wireless.

I'll tell you - I have SMB shares and encoded 2000kbps (med quality) videos are pulled down and stream just fine on every media player I have via WIFI (N+/AC) but where the bang for the buck with this is the WIRED connectivity.

Collapse -
Years later. This thread is more than 1565 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2014 12:53 AM PST

I'm still using my original setup and I think you are writing you are hunting for a solution. The netbook seems to be more than happy with USB drives.

This thread is more than 1565 days old.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.