Samsung forum

Question

Wireless keyboard and mouse with Samsung TVs

by knkk123 / October 21, 2012 9:33 PM PDT

I am thinking about getting myself a Samsung 40ES5600R. Some questions:

1. Can I take any wireless keyboard and mouse (e. g. Logitech, Microsoft) and get it to work with the TV?

2. Can I resize the screen to whatever I want? What about when using the Internet?

3. Does the WiFi dongle use up one USB port?

4. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1. Can I use it in any way with the TV? As in, render what is on the tab onto the TV screen, while sitting about 12 feet away?

Thank you!

Regards

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless keyboard and mouse with Samsung TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless keyboard and mouse with Samsung TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I couldn't find that at samsung.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 1:43 AM PDT

I fear that making the sets compatible with most keyboards has backfired. Almost all work but consumers don't like that answer. Maybe it would have been best for makers to stay with proprietary but we know it works?

In other words, the common keyboards do work with sets that have such a feature most of the time. As I didn't find your set, I can't check.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Wireless keyboard and mouse with Samsung TVs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

Hi knkk123,

I'll answer these questions directly.

1. Almost any wireless, HID-compliant keyboard and mouse will work.

2. Nope, everything runs full screen.

3. If it needs a Wi-Fi dongle, then yes, it does take up a USB port.

4. Your example isn't immediately possible. You'll probably need to buy an HDMI adapter and a long HDMI cord.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Thank you
by knkk123 / October 22, 2012 1:48 PM PDT

Thank you. I need a little more info, too.

1. I assume your replies were relevant to this specific model (40ES5600R). I ask because someone said that wireless keyboard/mouse works with Series 6 TVs and above (and this is Series 5).

2. "If it needs a Wi-Fi dongle, then yes, it does take up a USB port." - Not sure I fully understood that. As in, what scenario for accessing a wi-fi connection would not need a Wi-Fi dongle? I have a wireless Internet connection at home, that needs a password for any other device to be able to access it. On my mobile phone and tab, I just need to type the password into the devices for them to be able to access the Internet.

3. I saw this product: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWAVKIT2/. It helps convert a TV into a computer monitor. I also have an M29Q2 29" TV. Will I be able to use that product with both the 40ES5600R and the M29Q2?

Thank you,

Collapse -
Re: more questions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 23, 2012 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Hi knkk123,

Not a problem at all. Here are my additional responses:

1. If you want to get model specific, I'll refer you to your own country's support. But generally speaking, 2012 TVs that have an apps platform will support this. I've yet to find an exception to this.

2. Some TVs have the Wi-Fi NIC built into them, so there's no need for an additional dongle hanging off the back.

3. It probably will work with a laptop just fine, but it won't work with the Tab.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
My keyboard/mouse
by knkk123 / October 22, 2012 10:15 PM PDT

Hi Bob/HDTech

In addition to the queries above:

This is the wireless keyboard-mouse combination I have:

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/support/keyboard-mice-combos/7313

There is no mention of "HID" in that anywhere. I am not sure, but I guess it is USB that you refer to. Does this wireless keyboard-mouse combination work with the 5-series TVs and the one I specifically mentioned above?

Please also see if you can respond to my earlier questions. Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Re: My keyboard/mouse
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 23, 2012 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: My keyboard/mouse

Hi knkk123,

Almost all keyboards are HID-compliant, even if they don't say so. Generally speaking, I tell people here to just try a model. Most will work. In my personal experience, I've yet to find one that won't work.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Logitech Wireless Mouse M185
by kapilkumar7 / December 13, 2012 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: Re: My keyboard/mouse
Collapse -
Re: Logitech Wireless Mouse M185
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 13, 2012 10:54 PM PST

Hi kapilkumar7,

I cannot confirm nor deny that it works since I've not tried that specific model of mouse.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.