Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Wireless keeps authenticating and de-authenticating.

by Jefferis Peterson / December 21, 2010 8:51 AM PST

I'm using an Apple TimeCapsule as a wireless base station. There was a recent firmware upgrade and now my XP laptop (compaq X1030 with Buffalo Wireless G PCMIA card) cannot maintain a connection, but all my other printers and computers have no problem. I've got a Roku, Mac Laptop, Kodak Wireless Printer all holding a signal. The signal strength to the XP is good, but I keep getting this looping connect-discconnect:
Dec 21 19:28:10 Severity:5 Disassociated with station 00:xxx:bc:d9:3c
Dec 21 19:28:10 Severity:5 Associated with station 00:xxx:bc:d9:3c
Dec 21 19:28:14 Severity:5 Deauthenticating with station 00:xxx:bc:d9:3c (reserved 2).

Any ideas? The XP can't seem to receive an IP address.... WPA/WPA2 Personal Channel automatic...

Thanks
Jeff

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless keeps authenticating and de-authenticating.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless keeps authenticating and de-authenticating.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 6:54 AM PST

But try this. Go to the router and reset it to the factory settings. Change the SSID to somehthing NEW and SIMPLE. Now change it to WPA/WPA2 PSK and try again. DO NOT make any other changes to the router.

This will knock off all other machines and block the usual hijackers.
Bob

Collapse -
Downgraded router
by Jefferis Peterson / December 27, 2010 9:15 AM PST

Thanks Bob. I also asked this question on my apple forums and got a reply similar to yours. I downgraded the firmware to the previous version and have no problem connecting the XP. They suggested that the problem is that the Buffalo software/driver has not been upgraded to handle the newer security measures or features. So they suggested I add a n type wireless USB dongle to the XP. The XP is rather old and we're just using it to stream internet shows to the TV, so I don't know how critical the firmware upgrade is on the Apple TimeCapsule.

Jeff

Collapse -
That's a great idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Downgraded router
Collapse -
New problem
by Jefferis Peterson / January 4, 2011 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: That's a great idea.

Hi, I got the USB Wireless N connector and the connection keeps dropping with the Time Capsule. The signal is strong. This is the log:

Jan 04 11:32:59 Severity:5 Rotated TKIP group key.
Jan 04 11:33:05 Severity:5 Associated with station 00:08:10:77:9a:bd
Jan 04 11:33:05 Severity:5 Installed unicast TKIP key for supplicant 00:08:10:77:9a:bd
Jan 04 11:33:08 Severity:5 Disassociated with station 00:08:10:77:9a:bd
Jan 04 11:33:08 Severity:5 Rotated TKIP group key.

Is there a setup that might fix that?
The TC has WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise options but now PSK, AFAIK.

Collapse -
". I downgraded the firmware to the previous version and hav
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2011 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: New problem

". I downgraded the firmware to the previous version and have no problem connecting the XP. "

I suggest you go back to what works.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.