Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Wireless internet it so slow. Whats wrong?

by dfalk / July 19, 2005 2:55 PM PDT

I live in an apartment complex that has 6 units. They provide free wireless internet for us. Im not exactly sure what service it is but i think its satelittle from direcway, but I could be wrong. Anyways I connect at 11 Mbps and get a good, to very good signal 99% of the time. The thing is it that it is so slow. I feel like im surfing the web on 56K dialup. What could be making it so slow? i checked the workgroup and theres only 1 only computer connected, so i doubt it could be using all the bandwith. Any ideas what I can do to improve speed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless internet it so slow. Whats wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless internet it so slow. Whats wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's this simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

Let's say someone has nothing but 802.11b in said wifi network with 6 units. Remember that wifi is half-duplex at best speed of 11 megabit. If someone is a bit further out, their connection may degrade the network to about 1 megabit and then that is split 6 ways.

All this is nice and all, but the fix is to upgrade the WAP to 802.11g, lock out 802.11b use and it will get better. However, one P2P user and everyone suffers again.

In closing, the "workgroup" display in windows was not a good test of how many users are on the wifi network.

Bob

Collapse -
That wont work
by dfalk / July 20, 2005 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: It's this simple.

Sounds like it would work, but not for me. I dont have any access to the WAP and therefore i cant upgrade ir from b to g. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Improve your connection is all that's left.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2005 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: That wont work

You can't change the network, control that P2P use so you can build a better antenna (for free.)

Look up www.freeanntennas.com

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Free
by Alan Copeland / July 22, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

I went there, did that and doubled my line and signal. Looks tacky, but pretty is as pretty does.

Collapse -
This fixed it for me....
by aplusconn / May 22, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

Ok, I tried for about 2 months to mess with different encryptions and channels to stop interference from wireless phones and my microwave etc... Here is waht fixed it so far... You take and change the channel you broadcast on to channel 9. This stop interference from a phone. next, MOVE YOUR SUBWOOFER(if you have one) AWAY FROM YOUR WIRELESS CARD. I found that that boosted my signal through the roof...
Also, go to the wireless connections window, click change the order of wireless networks, and then uncheck the, use windows to configure my wireless... box. You need to re-check it everytime you want to connect though...

Good luck

Collapse -
Internet to Slow
by doreene1946 / June 10, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

I went from a Dlink Wired Router to a Belkin Wireless Router. Since then my internet connection to my computer has been slow and have problem connecting to web sites. My son is using the wireless on his laptop with the same router and doing find. When I look at the connection, it still shows the the Dlink connection. I tried to reload the Belkin disc and loaded ok, but didn't change the connection. Any suggestions what to do next?

Collapse -
Problem Fixed
by doreene1946 / June 12, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet to Slow

Finally to the cableman out to look at it. I was plugged into a Radio Shack serger with my modem. It does not have any protection. the modem piked up all the noise and caused my modem to slow down.

Collapse -
wirless promblem
by londondude / September 10, 2010 4:33 AM PDT

hey dear i got promblem in my wirless internet i use home shre wirless net 6 perople use alredy and evey one have good singel laptop and my laptop did not catch its catch but some people whn they use the speed is very slow before we have bt broband like net tht was very nice abd we use virgin one net its not good my laptop my other people use nice can u slove my prom plz i am using dell laptop D26 window xp thnks

Collapse -
This old thread is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

Please make new posts since this old thread is now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.