Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wireless internet help.

by dontbotherme / February 16, 2005 11:06 AM PST

I live out of town and this wireless company put a small tower neer me its out of my line of sight though...

but i was wondering what i can do to get the wireless.
i live in canada so thingsare perty fine like its legal to use thewireless and all.

so i was thinking i have this hill righ on the side of my house about 200-300 feet away and from there im pretty shure u can see the wireless tower they just put up (bnut its abotu 1/2 the size of a phonepoll.

so what i want to do is make my own little tower (out of some pipe and a welder i have and then hook somthing like Get a directional wifi antenna up to it.

then i would have a rubbermade contaner on the ground right beside the tower that the cable from the antenna would o into.. (but the cable is like a tv cable so then i would have to get an adaptor to cange it to a Cat5 cable then i would run about a 350 foot Cat5 cable to my house and plug it into my Dlink router (wireless) then my laptop and pc can ahve high speed net...

will this work?
i dont know much so this is probably all wrong but plz tell me how i do this..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless internet help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless internet help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Duct tape is not enough"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2005 7:42 AM PST
http://connect.inside-media.com/sitemap/home-made-wifi-antenna.html notes some sites about this. Homebrew antennas are very common but today many have forgotten that not all things must be obtained from the store. I'm always amazed at how Red recylced almost any cast off into a true work of art.

Since you have more than duct tape, use the internet to read up about Wifi, IF that's what they are using. You'll first have to determine what GHz they are at and what receiver and so one, but may I offer some advice?

Lighting is very unkind to such things (and people.) Don't put you or your stuff at the top of the tower. That's for the lightning rod and the cable down to the big old ground lugs. Next take extreme care that if the tower topples, it won't land on you, the house, anything you cherish or some 400KV feed line.

Best of luck,

Bob
Collapse -
One other consideration (Cat5)
by Big_Owl55 / February 19, 2005 10:49 AM PST

You mention a 350 foot Cat 5 run. You're pushing the limits there since Cat 5 (UTP) has a limit of 100 meters. I've seen it exceeded, but I've also spent a lot of time on an intermittent network that was pre-wired where the length of the run turned out to be excessive, causing the problem. Duct tape, however, has no such limits...

Actually coax might be a better way to go, but it all starts to cost a lot when you really trying to get cheap access, eh?

Good luck,

Al

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.