Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Internet For Laptop Without Router

by SaturnsFate / November 8, 2005 2:53 PM PST

I have been trying to get information on this, a while ago my desktop crashed and because I had no way to get online the computer guy that fixed it brought out his laptop and put something in the back of his laptop and got instant internet connection just by putting some kind of cartridge on the back he didn't even need to fool around with the computer just put it in and boom there you go.

I am trying to figure out how to get a wireless internet and if there is anything that I can put in the laptop and get connected once its put in....without having to fool around to much since right now I have 2 computer's on a wired network so I don't even know if its possible, any info is appreciated..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Internet For Laptop Without Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Internet For Laptop Without Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wireless internet
by linkit / November 8, 2005 4:02 PM PST

If you already have broadband internet (cable, DSL, etc.), just get a wireless broadband router. This will enable you to make a wireless connection to your Internet service in your home. You will have to configure the router, but there are quick install instructions that do a pretty good job of explaining things. Your computer will need a wireless network adapter if it doesn't already have one.

Your technician probably used an EV-DO or EDGE service. These Internet services are a lot more expensive than cable or DSL. Anyway, your computer guy did ''fool aroud'' with his computer at some point to get his card that he inserted to work. You might want to stop into a Verizon store (if in the USA) or other cellular provider to get more information on these technologies. Here are a couple articles to start:

From last march, but informative:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770717,00.asp
From this month:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1878868,00.asp

Collapse -
Lenovo's new 'top
by Iodarius / November 9, 2005 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: wireless internet

I read on pc news that Lenovo will make laptops with cellular connection built-in this year. Is it just me wondering or am I stupid? I already get beacoup downloads on my PPC-6600 PDA phone. How come nobody decided to do this earlier. It takes the Chinese to show us how? It's been the next logical step for years. The demand is there. The providers have complained for several years now that they didn't like cellphones being hooked up to laptops because it drained their bandwidth. Now watch who suddenly has enough bandwidth for crap.

Collapse -
router
by tibby159 / December 3, 2007 4:37 AM PST

y dnt u jus get a router n get connected to the internet thats wot i done

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.