Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless internet drops in and out, help me troubleshoot?

by fierce_glare / December 3, 2009 4:23 PM PST

Hi everyone. My knowledge of computers and internet is only a little bit more than beginner, so please bare with me!

I am using a laptop. (Msi Wind notebook, don't know if that matters)

Yesterday, me and my roommate got Shaw hi-speed internet. The guy came and installed the modem, and I had already gone out and bought a wireless DLINK DIR 601. I hooked it up, followed the CD instructions, and finally got the "OK, you have internet now!"

So, right away, I noticed problems. My internet keeps cutting out, sometimes staying connected, sometimes not. For example.. When I try to load a youtube video, not only is it super slow, but it will continuously stop loading every couple of minutes.. then resume 30 seconds later.

Or, the internet will cut out, and I have to either right click - repair, or click the troubleshoot button on windows "not connected" page. Both of these fix it most of the time, for about 5 minutes, then it's back to the same.

Here's the thing. When my roommate uses his computer, it DOESNT cut out. He can load youtube videos fine, or stay signed into his MSN messenger without any disconnections. It seems like there is no problems on his end at all.

So... this leads me to believe it's a problem with my laptop.

Any good suggestions on where I should start to troubleshoot? I'm kind of stumped. Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem~

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless internet drops in and out, help me troubleshoot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless internet drops in and out, help me troubleshoot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: internet drops out
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2009 4:26 PM PST

- Try wired. Same problems?
- How is the connection strength?

Collapse -
by fierce_glare / December 3, 2009 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: Re: internet drops out

The signal is excellent.
And I tried it wired when I was setting it up, and it worked fine like that as well.

Collapse -
In that case ...
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2009 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: check.

- I should start with looking at the msi-site if they have new versions of the wireless drivers. If so, install them.
- If it still doesn't work, I'd try what happens at other wireless locations (public WiFi, school, family, friends).
- If it doesn't work satisfactory there either, I'd take the big step and bring the machine back to factory settings via the recovery CD or whatever came with your machine.
- If it still doesn't work with the software out of the box and nobody else has these problems at the same locations, I'd call it a warranty case.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
The top of this forum. Post 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 10:14 PM PST
Collapse -
OK, new problem.
by fierce_glare / December 10, 2009 6:26 PM PST

So, I followed the advice and re installed my wireless router, and now it doesn't drop the connection anymore. Yay.

But now I have another problem. Slow internet. My connection is incredibly slow, taking 20 seconds and upwards to load a webpage. Again, it is concerning me, because when me and my roommate sit in the same spot in our house, with both our laptops, his internet connection is at full bars with no problems, while mine maxes out at 2 bars, with slow loading speeds.

Another thing is is that mine is a netbook, while his is a laptop. Do netbooks have weaker signal strength or something?

My netbook goes up to three bars if I move closer to my wireless router, but shouldn't I be able to get the same signal from 15 feet away?

I'm really confused and frusterated because I don't know much about computers and how to troubleshoot this... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2009 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: OK, new problem.

Sorry but I can't see if the advice was followed, what make, model, firmware version, and other pieces of information.

At 2 bars and the right router I might have you try a wave surfer but the details are not in this discussion.

More at

Collapse -
Try this - it solved mine
by DeborshiNag / December 2, 2012 7:15 AM PST

It is my wife's laptop. She's having this issue with wireless where it drops out every time she tries to watch a video on youtube. It's a Dell laptop with Vista on.

I looked at the issue and tried all the remedies on the Internet - nothing works. Finally I deleted the Wireless connection and created a new one again with TKIP encryption and it is working fine now.

Follow these steps -

1. Click on the Wireless icon on the taskbar.
2. Click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
3. Click on Manage Wireless Networks.
4. Right click on the connection you use and click on Remove network button.
5. Click Add, then manually create a new profile providing the SSID and password
6. In the Connection tab, tick checkbox Connect even if the network is not broadcasting it's name
7. Choose Encryption Type as TKIP, Security Type WPA2 - Personal

Once you create the new connection try using it to connect to the Internet. Hopefully you'll not have the same issue again!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.