Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Wireless internet disconnects when some one call

by famanat / January 7, 2007 12:04 PM PST

Hi,

I have an ADSL connection provided by the same company which provide land line services.

I have windows XP home edition, with a DLKINK router. my wireless network will get interrupted every time some one will call.

It is getting frustrated, my guess is that some how the signals are overlapping for landline call and internet which disconnects the wireless.

any other suggestion as to how to pinpoint the problem and solve it ?

Regards

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless internet disconnects when some one call
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless internet disconnects when some one call
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mph86 / January 7, 2007 1:17 PM PST

Well I'm pretty sure that 2.4 ghz phones can interfere with wireless internet. Buying a 5.8 ghz phone may solve the the problem.

Collapse -
we dont have any cordless fone
by famanat / January 7, 2007 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: .

We dont have any cordless fones. that was my first guess as well

that is why i am going crazy thinking why is this happening..

Collapse -
Do you have a wireless ringer?
by PudgyOne / January 7, 2007 4:30 PM PST

Something that is wireless is disconnecting you. Most of the time, it's a wireless phone. The soultion is to change channels, if you can. If not, buy a 5.8 g cordless phone.

Maybe your neighbor has a portable phone.

Rick

Collapse -
Wireless
by nilskje / January 14, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Hi have you found any solution yet?. Do you have any wired network connected to the router? If not ,it might be possible that all networking craps out when y have an incoming call, due 2 a missing,faulty splitter.

Collapse -
Wireless internet disonnect when someone calls
by jatibi / January 14, 2007 10:22 AM PST

For DSL you must have a filter plugged into each telephone port where a telephone or your dsl modem is pllugged in.

#1, Check each place you have a telephone or or dsl modem. Confirm that a filter (splitter that shows a computer connection and a phone connection). Make sure that the phone or dsl modem is plugged into the correct side of the splitter. These filters (splitters) should have been provided by your dsl company.

#2, If the above doesn't work and you are not using a cordless phone then you may have a wiring fault that the dsl company will need to track down.

Normally #1 is the issue with a phone that you missed when dsl was installed or the installer neglected to ask if you had any other phones in the house.

Collapse -
It's most likely a 2.4 GHZ device
by dano_from_colorado / February 4, 2007 11:22 AM PST

I am also using DSL for the internet. My son's XBOX 360 wireless device (2.4 GHZ) disconnects him from his on-line game every time we get an in-coming telephone call. Although I had a DSL filter connected to the 2.4 GHZ wireless telephone it was still interfering with his wireless device. I proved this by disconnecting the telephone line that was connected to that phone and he had not had any disconnect problems since. I went ahead and trashed the phone and replaced the phone with a 5.8 GHZ phone and we haven't had any problems since. If you don't have any 2.4 GHZ wireless device in your home, its maybe your good neighbors especially when the houses are build close together because these signals can travel a long distance. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.