Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Internet disconnects computers when microwave on

by celticpride678-22865682130453613992240326326901 / April 12, 2009 1:48 AM PDT

When I turn on my microwave, my wireless internet gets disconnected (all computers connected to it). I have a Linksys WRT110 (802.11n) router. What can I do to fix this problem. Thanks.

What I have tried already?:

1. Change channels- NO
2. Move microwave away from router- NO

Any ideas? Please and thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Internet disconnects computers when microwave on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Internet disconnects computers when microwave on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should call its maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 1:58 AM PDT

They will do a much better job of telling you why this happens.

It's very simple. Microwave ovens operate at around the same 2.4GHz as wifi. So if yours leaks even a little it will blast all the wifi machines off the air.

NOTHING IS BROKEN! The cure is unacceptable to some so make that call so they can tell you the long version which I can't write each time this is asked.

Bob

Collapse -
Here's how I fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

We wire up the machines since most of the time the owner will not replace the oven. You can't win over a shouting match in the RF battle. The oven is some 600 Watts and will handily blow off any wifi.

It should be interesting to read how you're going to respond. I know most of these never end well. The owners are p.o.'d about it and expect some setting to cure it.

Dang physics!
Bob

Collapse -
Wire Up??
by celticpride678-22865682130453613992240326326901 / April 12, 2009 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's how I fix that.

What does wire up do and how?

Collapse -
In one sentence.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Wire Up??

Use ethernet cables.

Collapse -
After all that Bob said . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 12, 2009 10:44 PM PDT

You have a defective shield on the oven. If it's indeed leaking RF, that in itself can be dangerous. Call the manufacturer!! NOW!

The frequency is also in that wireless range of 2.45 GHz. Not the same as wireless, but close enough with that kind of power to kill your connection.

Collapse -
Wireless Internet disconnects computers when microwave on
by Ravi-TX / December 31, 2012 12:01 AM PST

I did agree with Bob. I got mad today and startred to test my microwave. I just placed 2 baking plate on the top of microwave like one covering backside and another covering right side gap because my microwave is placed in the corner of kitchen. So I just covered the gap on the top 2 sides . I started to heat my coffee for 1 min and I do see this worked and did not disconnect my wireless connection. I will be doing more test from now. I amy place wood slab and try,

If your microwave is place above cooking range in the house then it would cover 3 sides and should be a problem,

Collapse -
partial fix
by beach2916 / January 28, 2013 10:40 AM PST

Had the same problem. Fios router and Playon tv would both freeze when the microwave was on. I knew they were on the same electrical circuit with a GFI, so I plugged the router into an other circuit and the computer drop out was fixed. Playon would still glitch but not freeze. I'm wondering if the microwave is making the electric "dirt" somehow.
Maybe an electrician can shed some light on this?

Collapse -
It's well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: partial fix

Microwave oven is 400 to 600 Watts at near 2.4GHz and your puny router is at best 1 Watt. If your radar range leaks even a little, it wins. And there is nothing outside the spec if it leaks a few RF Watts.

While some dislike this news or site, read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz#Microwave_oven

Changing circuits could put it on another branch and make lessen the impact. I'm sure folk have told you of the real fixes by now.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.