Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless interference from neighbor?

by Evie / May 28, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

I've been having a problem with the wireless connection at my parent's house. He lives in an area where at any given time my laptop automatically detects between 1 and 4 wireless networks. I only have a problem with one of these networks. I used to have his system set up in the livingroom where there is one cable internet connection, but for obvious (eyesore) reasons, Dad asked if I could move it to his office. What I've noticed now is that one of the networks (present about 75% of the time I've ever gone online there) seems to now be interfering with my Dad's network. It didn't before.

What happens is that I'll be connected to his network and all of a sudden it seems to stop responding. I refresh the list and sometimes his network disappears entirely. Other times the computer automatically connects to this other network! (Which is unsecured unlike Dad's WPA secured network). I've noticed that the cutouts seem to occur when the other network comes online. This DID NOT happen before, even though that other network WAS in range about the same amount of time -- it has only been since I moved Dad's router.

His router is linksyis, the neighbor's is presumably a Belkin as he didn't change the network name. I'm running XP Media on the laptop with built in wireless.

1. Is there any way to BLOCK this computer from even ''seeing'' that network, or more importantly from EVER connecting to it?

2. Is there some kind of shielding I could use?

TIA,
Evie Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless interference from neighbor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless interference from neighbor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No common block method except..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

If your PC has a connect to preferred networks only box.

I usually change the RF channel since many won't change it from out of the box so everyone lands on the same channel. Try that.

Bob

Collapse -
I doubt it is your neighbor
by pratapan / May 31, 2006 4:53 PM PDT

The only reason your PC connects to another network is because your AP stopped responding. Your wireless card thought the AP was dead and went looking for a new network. Most PCMCIA wireless cards have a wireless client software that allows you to disable the card from attaching to "any" network. Your AP may have a flakey radio. What channel are you using? You should use 1 or 6 or 11. These are the 3 non-interfering channels. Try changing to one of the other channels. Does your Dad have a 2.4Ghz chordless phone? This can cause the symptoms you describe. Every time the phone get used the wireless dies. Try changing AP channel or have the phone change channels.

SKrall

Collapse -
Other Wireless Signals
by deecaywonder / May 31, 2006 9:11 PM PDT

Per the previous post, not another wireless AP. Some things to mitigate against. Setup your APs as the only connection points. Sounds like your systems areset to respond to any broadcast SSID. Any signal that is stronger than yours could cause your PCs to use that signal instead of your intended devices.

Per other post, other devices in the 2.4ghz band could cause issues with your (and possible nieghbors) wireless. I moved to 5.8 phones for exactly this reason.

Wireless APs (bridges) are designed to work in close proximity with each other. New devices coming on line will normally seek and open channel to eliminate contention.

Collapse -
Thank you all for the responses ...
by Evie / June 11, 2006 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Other Wireless Signals

... and sorry I'm so late getting back here. I was about to try some of the suggestions when it now appears that the neighbor has secured his/her network. This seems to have fixed the problem, as I didn't experience the same problem for the couple of days I was housesitting recently. So for now, I'm not fixing what is currently not broken Wink

Thanks again, Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.