TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Wireless Headphones to TV

by puppy8910club / January 31, 2013 8:12 PM PST

Hi quick question as im pulling my hair out ...

My setup.

TV - Samsung es8000
Sony HT-as5 (all in one cinema system) << has 4 hdmi / 2 opt connections

Bought the xp500 headset to connect wireless to play ps3. Works a treat no problems. I however want to listen to my WDTV (for movies) , & Sky and wear the headset so i dont disturb my good woman.

How do i connect it all up??

I have tried optical from Wireless Transmiter to TV and HDMI from TV (ARC) to my Home Cinema.

Tried all configurations and getting no where.

For ps3 works fine, optical from transmitter to ps3. and hdmi from ps3 to all in one system..

I have all devices connect to Cinema via HDMI and Sky box has optical to home cinema also.

I have spare optical cables etc i could use. Plz help thanks!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Headphones to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Headphones to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wireless headphones
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 8:43 PM PST

I used a wireless bluetooth 'sender' plugged into the headphone connector of my TV when I had a wireless bluetooth headphone.

Collapse -
by puppy8910club / January 31, 2013 9:14 PM PST

You may have hit the nail on the head. the headset has come with a bluetooth adpater with 2.5 jack on the end which i presume is what you are talking about.

I had presumed this was just for use for mobile phone or something and dismissed this.

complete n00b here, so maybe like you say i shud just setup how i had it and plug this into the jack and walla!

If it works beers are on me!

Collapse -
maybe not
by puppy8910club / January 31, 2013 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Based on your above equipment, you need a....
by Pepe7 / February 1, 2013 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: maybe not optical switcher like this one @ Monoprice-

There's really no other way to do what you need w/o having to unplug cables, if everything is run through the receiver as it's intended w/ typical HT systems.

(Also, keep in mind ARC won't work since all your components don't support it.)

Here's how I would wire your system, but I am still not 100% satisfied that everything will work by merely adjusting/selecting inputs with the remote(s).

Skybox (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sony HTIB
PS3 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sony
WDTV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sony

Sony HTIB (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV

In addition to this, add the following digital optical connections & switcher to incorporate the wireless headphones to the mix, and allow at least partial audio (need to test it):

Skybox (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Monoprice switcher
PS3 (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Monoprice switcher
WDTV (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Monoprice switcher

Monoprice switcher (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Sony HTIB

My understanding is that the last connection allows you to listen to audio simultaneously from the X500 and your surround speakers. (Is this true 'pass through' to the Sony HTIB though?) Real world means you test this to verify, of course. Not sure how the WDTV streamer box will react while having both HDMI & digital optical connected at the same time. I haven't tried that yet with mine ;). Skybox rig & PS3 won't likely have issues with it AFAIK though.

Potential issues? Well, I am still not sure how that Sony HTIB will switch between different audio inputs connected to the same source input. I'm more accustomed to full fledged AV receivers in that regard.
Perhaps you would also need a second switch (A/B or on/off) between the monoprice switcher and the Sony receiver. IOW, to completely throttle any signal passing through so the HDMI portion isn't confused per se.

Let me know how it goes.

Collapse -
by puppy8910club / February 3, 2013 5:21 PM PST

Thanks for detailed info mate.

Makes complete sense what you posted, but the Headset has its own transmitter that must be plugged in via Optical & USB for its power source. How would this connect ? Just to the switch like other devices?

I have tried a direct connection from Transmitter Box . Optical > Sony Cinema and no joy on sound output.

I am thinking if i bought a new AV receiver rather than all in one which has bluetooth inbuilt this would simply solve my problems. ( Something i was going to upgrade shortly anyways).

I have used a switch on my old mans setup at home and yes this can work great without messing around with changing cables.

Collapse -
Sure, upgrading to a real AV receiver would be ideal
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

You are correct regarding the power issue w/ the transmitter. It's too bad it's only via USB. The switch would likely not be able to handle such a need- only a PC or USB hub, etc. YMMV.

Collapse -
by puppy8910club / February 4, 2013 5:00 PM PST

the usb power is not a problem my TV has USB . Problem i have is that even with a direct connection of optical to TV or to my home cinema i just cant get any sound to output into headphones.

ps3 directly is a piece of cake and works a treat, perhaps its my home cinema Sony HT-as5 causing a problem with any decoding or something.

Collapse -
Always test it out first
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: usb

It's quite possible the device will not be recognized by the HDTV, regardless of the available USB port there. Test that out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.