Smart Home & Appliances forum

Wireless Hard Drive v. Home Network Server

by mjh04001 / October 28, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

I recently purchased the 2GB GoFlex Home wireless external hard drive from Seagate and am primarily using it as a source for my movie/audio/computer program files to be accessed remotely by any computer through my network (and or through the internet via Seagate's remote access app/program).

I was wondering what would be the benefit if any of setting up a home server, not that we have technology such as wireless hard drives that let multiple computers access files via the wireless network? If there is a large advantage I am certainly interested in what the pros are, and what materials/products/manufacturers people would recommend.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Hard Drive v. Home Network Server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Hard Drive v. Home Network Server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you tried HDD access over WiFi?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 3:55 AM PDT

Let's see the usual speeds.

SATA is 1.5 Gbps or better.
USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps or lower.
WiFi is a shared 54 Mbps and again can go up or down but is SHARED.

To access a HDD over WiFi means a lot more traffic if the HDD is on WiFi. Your PC sends a request, the router gets the packet and sends it to the WiFi HDD, then HDD finally sends the packet to the router and the router finally sends this back to your PC.

So far I've found this to cause the speeds to plummet so low that most folk pull the plug.

Can't find any upside to HDDs on WiFi links.

Collapse -
Wirelss HDD
by pgc3 / October 28, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

I second that, slug city lag time..not going there.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
by mjh04001 / October 28, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

Well what set up and equipment would you recommend for file sharing across multiple computers, gaming consoles and tablets.

Collapse -
Well, one thing. No HDD on WiFi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

I have set up NAS and servers wired to the router which is about double the speed of having the NAS or server connected via WiFi. Still much slower than DAS (directly attached storage.)

There are folk that must try the WiFi NAS or HDD and learn why it's not for most folk.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.