Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wireless: good signal, but no internet...what's up?

by mal86 / June 10, 2007 11:07 AM PDT

My wireless internet hasn't had any problems at all until yesterday. When the problem started I hadn't made any changes to my computer at all (no new software... etc). Now, all of a sudden i have good... or even excellent signal strength but i get the "no page to display" in my browser. i also cant use any applications (such as aim) that use the internet! why wouldn't this have happened all of a sudden? and what can i do to fix it? i've been on the phone with the HP support people for two hours... and nothing has helped. they basically told me that it was either a problem with my router or my computer, they weren't sure. (OH WOW I COULDNT HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT ON MY OWN!!). anyways they had me do all of the ipconfig renew release... etc. things. that didn't help. the only thing that i noticed that looked a little weird was when i did ipconfig /all it said "disabled" by the Netbios over tcpip. I don't really even know what that means.. but maybe it has something to do with it. I've already disabled all the firewall settings, etc. and i have no idea what else to do!! any help would be appreciated because this is driving me crazy! thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless: good signal, but no internet...what's up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless: good signal, but no internet...what's up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) So connect without the router as a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 12:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sometimes
by PudgyOne / June 10, 2007 11:40 PM PDT

I have to turn the all the routers off for 15 seconds, then turn them back on.

It then works again. Usually happens after a glitch with the electric.

Rick

Collapse -
still not working.
by mal86 / June 11, 2007 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes

i've tried turning off the routers, it almost has to be a problem with the laptop itself though because i have now tried it at multiple locations and the same thing keeps happening! is there some kind of setting that could have gotten changed? the status of the connection under "packets" says: sent 468 received 70. When i was on the phone with hp support she told me those numbers should be about equal but i asked why and she had no clue.

Collapse -
Now we know it's the computer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 9:23 PM PDT

But you told so little about the PC that I can't do much but guess (badly.) There are PESTS that autoinstall and do what you write about so let's do the usuals.

1. Look up and run WINSOCKFIX.

2. If you get back online, scan for pests immediately at http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Bob

Collapse -
more on the computer..
by mal86 / June 12, 2007 12:07 AM PDT

it's an hp pavilliondv6000 notebook (pretty sure thats the model). The router i'm using is a belkin. i'll try running that as soon as i can. when i type the default gateway into the browser and it shows all my router settings it shows "internet connection: no connection". is that stating that there is a problem with the router or my computer itself has no internet connection. (which doesn't make much sense because the computer hasn't worked at other locations... unless of course i changed too many settings with the tech support i talked to and caused more harm than good). even when i try to use aol (ew) it can't find a broadband connection at all. only dial up. if there are any more specific details you need just let me know.

Collapse -
Try winsockfix and then....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: more on the computer..

Some hotspot. But.

"internet connection: no connection"

That's a router issue. Sorry that I got it wrong but I see why HP was the wrong call. They can't help this one. It's time to contact whoever set it up or your ISP.

Bob

Collapse -
okay thanks...
by mal86 / June 12, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

i've tried calling them once and they are telling me that its the computer. but i'm taking your word for it and i'll keep bugging them until they come fix it. thank you!

Collapse -
Finger pointing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: okay thanks...

Ok, WHO setup the router?

Is there a DSL/CABLE MODEM?

The ISP would be right to say "All OK on our end." if you had some dsl/cable modem and the router was not theirs.

Bob

Collapse -
belkin
by mal86 / June 12, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Finger pointing.

it's a belkin router - pretty sure it's the one they installed for me? if it is, it's the isp i still need to be talking to right? if not, it's pretty much up to me to fix the router?

Collapse -
cable modem
by mal86 / June 12, 2007 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: belkin

and yes there is a cable modem.

Collapse -
If they did do that, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: belkin

They should have asked you to check the router's page, etc.

However most DSL/Cable companies don't supply belkin but other solutions. Can you share the name of this one? I might be able to see what packages they offered.

Your router is not connecting so neither should any PC there.

HOW are you getting to this web site? (here)

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.