Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless G - Linksys vs Netgear vs DLink

by cgsauer / March 10, 2005 11:28 PM PST

Anybody have opinions on which wireless G router is best? Does anyone have a website that will compare them in terms of speed, range, stability, etc. The cnet comparisons are difficult.

Also, is the 108mpbs really needed - I have about 4 computers to hook up together, not much sharing between computers mostly just internet. I can't see the real advantage but it is only $20 more.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless G - Linksys vs Netgear vs DLink
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless G - Linksys vs Netgear vs DLink
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just me...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2005 12:01 AM PST

Disregard the M.

Current offerings from both "just work". It used to matter but that time seems to have passed.

The 108 speed is only achieved if the distance is about where you can read the other PCs screen. And you'll like it if you toss a few gigabytes over.

Collapse -
My .2 cents
by bethany1023 / March 11, 2005 1:54 AM PST

Just me, but we use a Netgear wireless router to connect our Mac, PC, and notebook. We have never had problems with the 2 OS's communicating nor have we had signal issues with the notebook. Have been impressed with customer service as well as the range of internet.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
beyond home use
by ranobles / April 10, 2005 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: My .2 cents

Although the products are advertised for home use, I'm considering Linksys for small office use. The few people I talk to say the signal issues have been solved. But no one comments on office use on the 12th floor. Any opinions?

Collapse -
The signal is the same...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: beyond home use

You can help it by placing the WAP in the best spot you can.

Collapse -
Help! My dog chewed up my long, long cable cord
by csg / May 15, 2005 7:40 AM PDT

As someone new to wireless, I've read the nearly 50 posts here re: wireless stuff and also followed many links to reviews via newegg, amazon, etc., because I am trying to make a decision about going wireless inside my dwelling (since my dog chewed up my 50' cable cord), for use with my laptop, which is a HP pavilion zt1000 series built-to-order, running WinXP home edition. I get broadband highspeed internet via Comcast through a modem I purchased from Comcast (the DOXport COM21 DP1110). Please, please, folks, review the following and give me any input/feedback about whether my reasoning is good, or if you suggest any changes. THANKS.

From everything I've read I've determined that I should probably go with Netgear (WGT634U 1EEE 802.11b/g, with WPA and 64/128-Bit WEP, whatever that means), for a number of reasons:
[a] I'm super concerned about security (I experienced a huge crash with one of the bad viruses that circulated a few months or so ago)and I only heard one person mention positive things about security and that was re: Netgear (Does anyone have anything to say about security provided by other brands?),
I'm new at this & non-techy, so hooking up the Netgear router will be easier for me than others, from what I've heard. I hope this is true.
[c] For surfing away from home at coffee shops,etc., I'm already using a Netgear wireless adapter, WAG511 802.11g PCMCIA, which I hope is compatible with the router I am thinking of buying. Any input on that?
[d]Nothing's going to work perfectly anyway, so I might as well just start with something, and considering that any brand now and then issues a lemon.

I hope this has enough paragraphs for you, William. Be gentle.
Thanks, everyone, in advance.

Collapse -
WEP & WPA will not protect you from viruses
by SantiagoCrespo / May 20, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

But a good antivirus software will.
What WEP and WPA do for you, at least in theory, is to prevent anyone to "spy" on you and read what you're transmitting.

Collapse -
Personal suggestion
by artek-studio / May 26, 2005 2:01 PM PDT

I shall recomend Linksys Gear (this is my #1 option for my personal use and my customers,Netgear is almost the same, but remember that Linksys is the #1).

In the case that you already own a wireless adapter from Netgear it doesn?t matter since they are based on Standards it shall work with all the routers, but if you are trying to take advantage of certain turbo 108 mbps technology you shall better buy the same series router from you wireless adapter.

I'll recommend you to try the WRT54GS (speedbooster) it's built on a long tradition rock solid router with the enhancement of speedbooster, if you own the same wireless adapter with speedbooster it shall be faster (supposed too) but if not, at least you'll get longer range.

On security you can rest assure that it comes with a nice and secure SPI Firewall and you're network would protected, and the cherry is that it comes with a CD that makes it as easy as 1 2 3 wizard to setup the hole stuff.

Just remember to choose the right wireless standard
try this URL .

Collapse -
which one
by rct / October 14, 2005 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Personal suggestion

try and stay with the same brand,but it if your just use G Or B it really doesn't matter. broadband only works at aprox.6 megs so even B works fine, if you talk between computers G might be better, but if your looking for distance then look at the best. As for the brand Links appear to be No. 1 in reliablilty because it's a Sisco sys.

Collapse -
linksys? unh unh
by sharee100 / October 14, 2005 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Personal suggestion

I know one of the techs from Linksys. He doesn't know what he's doing and I wouldn't trust him wiht my computer. And by extension the company he works for.

Collapse -
Come on!
by 802.11mdr / October 17, 2005 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: linksys? unh unh

That is inverted logic. There are ignorant techs from every company.

Collapse -
by Netgearrules / July 26, 2005 5:42 AM PDT

I have the Netgear WGT634U and I use it with Vonage service. This router is awesome. I have a 60Gb external USB 2.0 Hard drive hooked up to the back of it. I found that it has much better signal strength then the Linksys WRT54GS which I took back to Fry's because I thought it SUCKED! Also let it be known that there is a UNIVERAL HACK for Linksys routers becuase of their populairity. Go with the Netgear you would be much better off. I also liked the Netgears interface much better then the Linksys. I found it to be cleaner and better organized.

Collapse -
netgear WGT634U
by articstar / September 6, 2006 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Netgear

Collapse -
Netgear WGT634U
by kwkid / September 6, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: netgear WGT634U

First, please turn off the caps lock, it makes your message very difficult to read and it makes you look as if you are shouting.

As far the CD, the only thing on the CD is the manual and the drivers, which can easily be downloaded from Netgears website at

Collapse -
Re: Choice and Setup
by nohonoel / July 28, 2007 9:58 AM PDT

Regarding router choice...

I have occasion to use linksys, netgear and d-link routers for different small systems with which I interact.

With some minor exceptions (such as faulty models e.g. Linksys BEFW11S4, which has a known issue with streaming video) a router is a router is a router...

When doing your research, select your preferred model/manufacturer and price - then search the net for any known issues...rather than searching for 'Best Product' -- brand loyalty skews reasonable recommendations.

Unless you're intending to open/close/filter ports for specific program/application performance, you won't notice any difference in the functionality of one router to the next, especially in a home (singular router) installation.

That being said, if you have a netgear wireless adapter, chose the netgear router -- this choice makes more sense from an asthetic rather than technical point of view.

In the home/small business-system router market, there is little differentiation from brand to brand...

As far as setup --

The best thing to do is stay away from the CD installations of any of the routers you may select -- you don't need 'Router Software' installed on your computer. (If you're purchasing a router with an offer of some bonafide Extra -- bundled software that you would otherwise purchase -- Anti-virus, Anti-spam, etc. -- by all means, if you need it install it later.... but stay away from Router Software.)

Setting up a router is a matter of plugging in various devices (in the proper order.... e.g. first:modem, second:router, third:workstation(s), and then configuring the devices.

Out of the box, virutally all routers come pre-configured for the majority of installations -- DHCP is ON (This lets the router assign the various addresses needed for devices running on the network) Wireless is ON.

There are several items that you'll want to configure on the router, but you do this after you hook up one wired (ethernet) computer.

On the computer side, you do not have to (and should not) install any software before configuring your network settings. This is done through the network settings (network connections) for your Local Area Network. This process is well-documented in all router manuals. Chances are, you won't have to change or configure anything... as your network connections setting is probably already configured to pick up it's address from the router.

Once you're connected, in all current generation routers and modems, the way you configure them is to launch your browser (IE, Firefox...Safari.... whatever you're using) and then you enter a numeric address (this address is pre-assigned to your router hardware.)

Even if you don't have a manual, you can guess the address... virtually all manufacturers use a special reserved address... it will either be: (Most linksys/netgear)

or (some d-link)

Once this address is entered (and your connections are all, in fact, connected) a Username/Password dialog will appear. From the manufacturer, these are 'generally' configured as a standard as well, but can vary from mfgr. to mfgr.

In general:

Username: [none/blank]
Password: admin

Username: admin
password: password

Username: admin
password: [none/blank]

Once you 'get in' the control software for the router is loaded (from the router.) this is all the software you'll need.

From here, read the help files, download a manual... but you should, at least change your SSID and configure your Wireless Security.

Collapse -
Netgear CD can be downloaded here
by PudgyOne / July 28, 2007 1:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
by kbennett50 / October 15, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

By all means go WPA-PSK - Wi Fi Protected Access- PreShared Key. Stay well clear of WEP it's too easy to hack.

Collapse -
Is that so?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2005 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: WPA Vs WEP

Having read that WPA is hacked faster than WEP I wonder if we need something better?

Collapse -
I preffer the belkin
by erickdrny / April 12, 2005 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: beyond home use

to tell you the truth I rather use the belkin pre-N router specially if you using it at an office and there's gonna be file transfering going on.. you'll pay a little bid more but your money if gonna be well worth it...

Collapse -
What is great range?
by joseph whitaker / May 14, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: My .2 cents

Beth...When you say you are pleased with the range what distance are you working? 50 feet, 100 feet, more?

Thanks...Joe W...

Collapse -
Wireless G
by RTT / April 14, 2005 8:32 PM PDT

I had a DLink cable modem and a wireless G router. It was a LOT of trouble. The modem to router connection failed a lot, a little power interruption and I would lose one or both and have to reset, I got a repeater but the signal still wasn't strong enough, the receivers on the other ends weren't satisfactory and seemed to fail a lot, the software WAS NOT "GREAT"...... I could go on. Maybe it was all just my fault, it was new, I was new at it, and so on -- but I was still spending a whole lot of waking hours on just that alone. This went on for a year untill I threw the modem and router away -- literally, IN THE TRASH! I hated it sooooo much!

The Linksys Wireless G modem/router I got solved 98% of the difficulties. If there's an electricity interruption or the infamous Comcast cable "blinks," I sometimes have to renew the connection/address. Otherwise it's a dream. There were three people here a week ago, each using wireless laptops -- one a MAC -- and there were no problems, no special software needed, no slowdown, etc. -- and another home machine ran fine on wireless, too. Of course I would like 108mbps. but I don't have it and it didn't appear necessary.

One last thing: No matter what you get, never, never, never get anything but a combonation modem/router. Otherwise, when there's a connection problem with a separate modem and router, you're trying to solve an equation with three possible variables.

Collapse -
Linksys Wireless
by howardlatimer / April 14, 2005 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless G

You wrote: "The Linksys Wireless G modem/router I got solved 98% of the difficulties. If there's an electricity interruption or the infamous Comcast cable "blinks,..." I just purchased the WRK54G Linksys Wireless - I have 4 wireless comps and one wired running thru it, crossing two floors, some concrete, drywall and bookshelves, etc - and the connection is very good. However, we suffer the same Comcast cable "blink" and I have to reset the modem and router every time. Pain in the butt, but ultimately, it is a Comcast issue.

I did have good help from Linksys phone support the one time I needed them. Their built-in help is way too geeky and non-informative - no true explanations of what options do and don't do. Almost a throw-back to the original computer manuals of 1980.

Collapse -
Routers and such
by msgale / April 14, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

I have networked PCs for several years. First a wired, 4 port router, then a wired/wireless. 4 port router + 802.11b and now wired/wireless 4 port router + 80211.g. I have always used Linksys equipment without any problems; however that is not to say the others do not work as well. I also, for a time, had an iPaq PDA on the network. Although it is possible to get a combination router cable modem, there doesn't appear to be a viable router DSL modem for use on Verizon?s DSL network. Even if their were I probably would not recommend it since my modem had to be replaced when Verizon change its network speed from 768kbits to 1.5 mbits, the current Verizon speed switch from 1.5 mbits to 3 mbits did not require a new modem. I have only experienced one significant outage since October 1999 and other than that I never had to restart my modem or router except with I have a power failure and the UPS ran dry (about twenty minutes). Modems and routers should be like the ?Energizer Bunny? they should just keep running and running. I do not see the need for 108 mbit wireless links, since the normal 54 mbit 802.11g speed is greater that you maximum down load speed it won?t improve downloads. And unless you are transferring a great deal of data between nodes on your network the speed will be wasted. I would not buy Belkin?s Pre N products since the 802.11n standard is not yet fixed in stone.

Collapse -
Belkin Pre G worked out fine for me
by gtalbott / April 15, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Routers and such

When I wired my new home 2 years ago I bought a Belkin pre-G WAP and PC-Card. When 802.11g was finalized I firmware upgraded both to full standard with no problem.

Collapse -
You may have invaluable information
by William Randall / April 17, 2005 5:07 AM PDT

about a ton of crap, but PLEASE learn to "break up" your train of thought into ANY kind of semblance of order that resembles PARAGRAPHS.

Easier to read.

Collapse -
A for content. F is for formatting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

I agree, try to format those posts a little better.

Collapse -
Slickest setup and NO problems since
by William Randall / April 16, 2005 4:09 AM PDT

WinXP PRO running Linksys 2.4 Ghz wireless ? G Broadband Router and ZoneAlarm (current version)

WinXP connected via 2.4 Ghz Wireless ? G USB Network Adapter and running ZoneAlarm

Collapse -
by socchuy86 / October 20, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

I have a netgear wireless router and it has good range and it is easy to install. I bought a airlink wireless router and it sucked. The range was really weak and dificult to install. I would suggest getting a netgear wireless router. The one i have is a Netgear wireless router (54mbps wgr614 v5)

Collapse -
brands may matter
by cfalzone / April 14, 2005 9:43 PM PDT

I have a linksys cable modem and netgear router. They work great together. I put a netgear adapter in the laptop and have never had any problem. I put a linksys adapter in the desktop and had nothing but problems. The connection was constantly being dropped. I changed to a netgear adapter and all the problems went away. Everything works great.

I'm new to this and the guy in the store assured me brand doesn't matter but I can't help but believe it does. I think like brands probably talk to each other better. Just my opinion.

Collapse -
Brands may matter
by arbee / April 14, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: brands may matter

I would like to add to cflazone's remarks that brands do matter - especially if you have different brands on a network. I had a Linsys as my main router and a Netgear on my second computer. The problem arose when one went down and I called the Linksys tech people. They tried to fix the problem but said it could be the Netgear, but they couldn't offer any help with it. It almost felt like I should have a conference call with both the Links and Netgear technicians. I changed my Netgear for another Linksys and now only have one technical help line to call.

Collapse -
It is easier if everything is one brand
by kinnear3 / April 17, 2005 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Brands may matter

Arbee makes a good point. My setup is a complete hodgepodge: Motorola cable modem, Linksys VOIP telephone adapter, 2Wire hardware firewall, Netgear wireless router, Netgear, Linksys and Apple Airport wireless cards. The Airport wireless card is inside a Macintosh PowerBook. Everything works together very nicely, except when the Netgear card occasionally loses touch with the Netgear router. I did run into a bit of a problem when the PowerBook was new and would not connect with the Netgear router. When I called Apple support, the tech told me that he did not know anything about Netgear routers. Then, he had me try a simple alternative method of establishing a connection and everything worked fine. If all hardware is the same brand, no support person can pass the buck to another company.

I see no need for 108 mbps for the purposes you describe. A standard wireless g setup will provide far more speed than you will get from any internet connection. If you are trying to span large distances, you may want to consider one of the new routers that employ MIMO technology. These systems promise far greater range than any 802.11g systems. Of course, they are currently far more expensive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.