Samsung forum

General discussion

Wireless dongle for LN52A750

by k46301 / January 26, 2010 10:28 PM PST

The wireless adapter for our model is no longer available will the Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter work with our model?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless dongle for LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless dongle for LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by peter_y / January 27, 2010 4:25 AM PST

Hi,

Yes, that's correct wireless adapter for our model LN52A750 (2008 samsung LCD TV) is no longer available. The Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter work for 2009 models. Unfortunately people like us will not be able to use 2009 LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter on 2008 samsung LCD TV's :-(, So No you can not use the Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter on your Tv.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2010 8:47 AM PST

peter_y,

Wait a minute. The WIS08AB is the correct adapter for the LN52A750. (Unfortunately availability is extremely limited, as they can be difficult to find).

The WIS09ABGN is the correct adapter for the 2009 LNxxBxxx models.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by peter_y / January 28, 2010 3:09 AM PST

Hi TD Tech,

I was referring the same thing in my post, WIS09ABGN is for 2009 TV models and can not be used on 2008 TV models, Do you think I was wrong ?
Please let me know.............

Collapse -
a little searching...
by boseme / January 27, 2010 6:34 AM PST

I found the driver set for this Samsung WIS08BG2X Linkstick Wireless LAN adapter from this helpful user in this forum

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=2939274&tag=forums06;posts#2939274

found the chipset manufacturer for the WUG2700 here (Ralink) <again>...
http://www.acesuppliers.com/Supplier_Company/Wireless-LAN-USB-2-0-Adapter_Product_Showroom_46330.html

found the specific chipset here...
http://www.drivershq.com/drivers/Devices/RaLink-RT2571W-RT2671-Wireless-Lan-driver/7787/23/Drivers.aspx
"This Driver is for these devices
WUG2700 USB WIRELESS LAN CARD [USB\VID_07B8&PID_B21F]"

Found that the RT2571W and RT2671 is considered the 2501USB chipset...from here

http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
and here
http://ralink.rapla.net/
That led me to the Linksys WUSB54GC
http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1C1CHNG_enUS364&sourceid=chrome&q=WUSB54GC&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=TL1gS-GWB9OWtgepypzZDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQrQQwAg

I also found they have 3000 of the WUG2700 - in Taiwan. Wink
http://www3.hkinventory.com/public/OfferInventResult.asp?Order=1&pnums=WUG+2700&crit1=&crit2=&category=&product=&keywords=&words=3&country=&postdate=&brand=&crit3=&crit4=0&datecode=

Collapse -
Confused
by k46301 / January 27, 2010 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: a little searching...

boseme,

I want to get a wireless dongle for my TV and the one specified is no longer available. Do the chip sets you've listed, along with the driver set enable me to "create my own" dongle? or is it to use the dongle on another device?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
go for the Linksys...
by boseme / January 27, 2010 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Confused

Based on the fact that the WUG2700, Samsung 2008 dongle, and Linksys WUSB54GC share the same chipset, they must use compatible drivers.
Searching a little further I found that Linksys has 3 versions of this Wireless USB adapter.

Let me keep searching...(part of the problem is that the chipset was rather old to begin with).

Collapse -
a little more searching....
by boseme / January 27, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: go for the Linksys...

Alright...found the supported USB devices.
http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73
but I also found one that ASUS USB WL-167g uses the same 2571W (RT73) chipset from here
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/%22http:/t70314.html
which can be purchased here-

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833320107

also noticed that D-Link is identified as the manufacturer of the WUG2700. Happy
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RT73USB.html
and...
vendor: 04e8 ("Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd"), product: 4471

That is probably the WIS08BG2X.

This technology was at the end of the wireless "g" only product life cycle, which explains why few dongles are available that support this standard.

Collapse -
note...
by boseme / January 27, 2010 9:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you!
by k46301 / January 27, 2010 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: note...

OK I am gonna give the Asus a shot. Thank you for all your help!

Collapse -
asus dongle work for ln52a750
by jortiz82 / February 3, 2010 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

did this asus dongle work for u

Collapse -
Timing!
by k46301 / February 3, 2010 3:30 AM PST

Funny you should ask...got the dongle yesterday, plugged it in and the TV doesn't recognize it. Turned TV off/on but still isn't seeing it. Is there a step I am missing. I thought it would be a simple plug 'n play process.

Thanks for the follow up.

Collapse -
my bad.
by boseme / February 26, 2010 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Timing!
Collapse -
my bad.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2010 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: my bad.

boseme,

I'm not sure why I keep seeing posts on "Samsung limited the drivers in the firmware".

Let's call it what it is: A new firmware that isn't compatible with an unauthorized hack.

I'm watching the conversations, and I've been respectful about watching people hack their televisions, and use non-approved LinkSticks. It's their set. And you seem knowledgeable, and so far nobody's set has broken. But let's be respectful on both ends and not automatically assume or suggest that our updates have to work around someone else's written code.

--HDTech

Collapse -
not my intent.
by boseme / February 26, 2010 1:36 PM PST

I think you misunderstood HD Tech, and I return the respect you afforded me.

The message I was trying to convey is this:
Samsung could easily add additional USBs to the firmware, but haven't under the guise that it will be easier to support networking.

The dongles either have the corresponding chipset or not. There is nothing to support from a technical standpoint. (What troubleshooting can be done on the dongle by a typical enduser?)The dongle either works or doesn't when plugged in.
The policy does allow for easier returns if the customer has a problem with wireless, and all options have been exhausted, - because the dongle is a Samsung part. What is amusing is that having a Samsung dongle does nothing to help technical support troubleshoot a problem.

I provided the link to the SamyGo thread because I wanted to show how easy it really would be for the Samsung programmers to add compatible devices. (or just not modify the directories the way the programmers did).

Hacking firmware and using "non-approved" wireless usb devices are not comparable nor have the same consequence.
1. Hacking firmware...good possibility that you'll brick the set if you don't follow directions.
2. Trying an unapproved dongle...maybe an "oh crap I have to send this dongle back to the store" moment when it doesn't work. Nothing else. It will do nothing to the function or longevity of the TV. Surprised you would imply that.

Now the situation is this:
People want options because
(a) don't want to pay $80 for the Samsung version. Especially when they can buy an identical USB for $20.

(b) availability of the Samsung dongles are limited or unavailable.

(c) some people just don't like to be taken for a ride.

(d) some just like to have something different for personal reasons.

Example:
Western Digital provides a list of supported wireless devices for the WDTV Live. It is known what drivers the device uses...and guess what - the firmware was not modified by WD to limit options. These drivers are the same drivers that are used by the Samsung network capable blu-ray players. It is up to the user. They have decided to not fleece their customers-for a nickel (in this example).

Every corporation is expected to make money...just some believe if you treat the customer right - you ultimately make more money.

What I am suggesting is this:
Samsung could modify their firmware to provide additional compatibility for dongles that use the identical internal hardware.

That is not a hack. Just as wireless USB devices that have identical internal hardware...but different plastic covers is not a hack.
Wink

Collapse -
not my intent.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2010 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: not my intent.

boseme,

Thanks for the response. I hope I also didn't come across as being negative, but more of addressing points when people note that fault is somehow Samsung's.

I'd like to address this with the appropriate departments, and I've been watching carefully.

SamyGo themselves admits that they are "hacks", so it's not my term.

I agree that people do want options. But let me address those points.

1. Other USB devices need drivers, and if those drivers aren't available, then it won't work. The LinkStick is a simple solution that we know - in most cases - will work.

2. They were limited for a bit. I don't expect it to be permanent, and I believe they are currently available.

3. It's not being taken for a ride. Not everyone is a network expert, and this is something that the average consumer - who may or may not be savvy - can at least be assisted with. It's standard in that, if the router is compatible, it will work.

4. Differences are great. I've never put down any other device that works. Game adapters and wireless bridges work also, but we can't support someone else's connectivity, so we chose one device. We can support the LinkStick.

We don't have a list, and not all companies do. This is obviously a hot topic among some people in the forums, but it doesn't necessarily represent everybody, nor does it suggest Samsung is "fleecing" anybody. Some of the models that might be compatible aren't found in your average store. Retailers want this unit because it's a solution for their customers. Manufacturers don't set the pricing. If people want to shop around, that's fine.

This is our second year of having a wireless device on a television. The technology may evolve in the future. And I think it's worth discussing.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Frustrated
by k46301 / February 26, 2010 11:01 PM PST

Samsung_HD_Tech,

As the original poster of the dongle question and someone who is not a techie please understand I am quite frustrated about this situation. We purchased our television in February 2009. I immediately tried to purchase the appropriate dongle from Samsung but they were out of stock. I was more than willing to pay the full price for Samsung's dongle. Later, after receiving an email from Samsung about all of the things I could do with the wireless capabilities on our TV I once again tried to purchase the Samsung dongle for our set. This time I discovered that it was no longer available. Disappointed that there was no place to purchase the wireless device I began a search to find the device which prompted my original post.

I am in no way trying to hack my system I am trying to use the features that helped sell me a TV from a manufacturer that no longer sells the equipment to use said features. As someone who works for Samsung please give me a wireless solution.

Collapse -
good discussion.
by boseme / February 27, 2010 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Frustrated

RE:
"boseme,

Thanks for the response....This is our second year of having a wireless device on a television. The technology may evolve in the future. And I think it's worth discussing."
Evolution = "Driverless" USB?

Thanks HD Tech. I do appreciate the opportunity to make a few points, and discuss this technology implementation.

You make a pertinent point regarding the option to provide the Samsung Linkstick to the average consumer. Many of these devices are not available at the brick and mortar store. Samsung is wise Wink to provide this option. Although I believe many customers are more tech saavy than given credit. The internet is popular.

A brief counterpoint to your statement that "those drivers aren't available, then it won't work".

In the case of the alternative dongles...the driver is already there. What is missing is Samsung listing the devices in the directory. If the dongles share the same hardware, they can use the same driver. Just as Samsung is doing with the Linkstick and AboCom.

The only difference is that those devices are listed in the firmware directory.
See 09 TV firmware as shown below:
RT73
0x04E8,0x2008 samsung (<----Samsung)
0x07b8,0xb21d abocom

RT2870
x148F,0x2870 Ralink
0x14b2,0x3c09 Ralink
0x04E8,0x2018 Ralink (<---Samsung)

Blu Ray probably has
RT3572
0x04E8,0x???? Ralink

Just to give you an idea of what could be supported...This is the RT2870 driver directory unmodified:
http://wiki.debian.org/rt2870sta#SupportedDevices
See how that differs from the Samsung directory? You'll see the Samsung ABGN device there as well. Samsung uses the RT2870, RT73 Ralink modules.

That is what I meant by "limiting options" previously.

No, Samsung can not provide customer support for all wireless devices, but how does this differ from using a gaming adapter in relation to connectivity? You could still support the Linkstick and allow alternatives. Samsung ultimately ends up supporting "network" issues regardless. Happy Part of the package with providing network services and widgets.

btw, do you think you can get a few of the '08 TV Abocom dongles for the forum members? Wink
http://www3.hkinventory.com/public/OfferInventResult.asp?Order=1&pnums=WUG+2700&crit1=&crit2=&category=&product=&keywords=&words=3&country=&postdate=&brand=&crit3=&crit4=0&datecode=

Collapse -
Wireless dongle for 08 TV
by _jr_ / February 27, 2010 11:10 AM PST

k46301:

"...after receiving an email from Samsung about all of the things I could do with the wireless capabilities on our TV..."

I am not sure what you were told, but the only thing your TV can do wirelessly is the InfoLink function, which, truth be told, is not that exciting in 2010. You *cannot* do all the fancy streaming stuff with your TV over Wi-Fi. If I were you, I would just ignore the issue of unavailability of this overpriced piece of hardware and start looking into installing a wireless bridge. Let it go...
Trust me - you will not be happy once you do find this dongle and realize that it cannot do any of the cool stuff you've been hearing about. I own a 2008 TV, and the bridge solution works really well with my BDP, SAT, and PC, with one more port to spare...

There are several threads on this forum with step-by-step instructions on how to install and configure a bridge. You can pick one up for under $30 and it will provide wireless access for up to *five* devices (in case you have a Blu-Ray, SAT box, PC, etc...)

To all owners of 2008 TVs - do *not* go out of your way trying to find the discontinued wireless dongle for your TV, or a 3rd party solution. It won't help - the 2008 series are not designed to do DLNA over wireless...

Just my 2c...

_jr_

Collapse -
Frustrated too long
by bodie30058 / March 12, 2010 8:28 AM PST

I'm in total agreement with all frustrated users. I've been patient for 2yrs+ and have come to the realization that Sam doesn't care (we're old money now).
As far as hacking the product, if I knew how, I would feel more than justified in doing so. If you leave a man in a boat without a paddle, the smart man will make his own paddle.
Like many other consumers/victims of the product, I've had great expectation of Samsung "advertised" promise. I've contacted Sam's various customer relations, only to hear a smooth wallstreet reply without further comittment to solving the problem.
Finally, what Sam has done is nothing short of "False Advertising" to which the FTC or some other consumer rights agency should hold them accountable for.
I for one say, "Class Action" suit! No more Sam product for me and my friends.

Collapse -
Which Linksys Adapter
by bodie30058 / March 12, 2010 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: go for the Linksys...

You guys are great. Thanks up front for your efforts.
I too have an '08 Samsung LN52A750 hdtv but can not get a dongel for it to go wireless. But to clarify, I'm using a wireless Linksys router, but which Linksys adapter can I use? The Wusb54GC @ $37 or Wusb54GC-RW @ $17? What's the difference in the two or will either one work as a alternative dongle?

Collapse -
Make it easy on yourself...
by boseme / March 12, 2010 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Which Linksys Adapter

Samsung only supports a few dongles in their firmware, (although the wireless chipset supports many more)

Go with a wireless access point/adapter as _jr_ stated.

Examples for network-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2050410335&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE
http://www.google.com/products?q=wireless+access+point&scoring=p&show=li&lnk=showgrid

Other considerations:
currently on a "N" network or future upgrade?
Dual band?

Try to get a access point with multiple ports (example: I now have a WDTV Live, TV, NAS, and blu-ray connected to the same dual band access point)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.