Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wireless doesnt work on my Compaq Presario V6000

by panthx / February 13, 2008 10:43 AM PST

just out of nowhere my wireless decided it didn't want to work anymore, usually there is a switch that i can turn on and off, when its on its blue and when its off its red, all I see now, no matter which way I switch is RED, and the wireless is consequently not working.

is there anything I can try to repair this without having to bring it in to a professional.

thankyou.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless doesnt work on my Compaq Presario V6000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless doesnt work on my Compaq Presario V6000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe, Maybe Not...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 13, 2008 1:04 PM PST

First, I would try installing an updated driver for the chipset and for the wireless adapter.. If that doesn't help, then try uninstalling the adapter from Device Manager, then restart the computer and let Windows recognize and reinstall the wireless adapter.. Make sure it's turned on each time.

If that doesn't get it done, then the switch or the adapter itself is possibly bad. If that's the case, in my opinion, you should consider purchasing a USB wireless adapter which would be cheaper than repairing the parts or having a technician repair it for you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It's a common problem
by fortde1 / February 16, 2008 11:17 AM PST

This problem has been reported by lots of people. It appears that for the V6000, in many cases it is a hardware failure. HP has extended the warranty on certain model numbers and will do a free repair. HP has also posted a new BIOS upgrade that changes the way the cooling fan operates in an effort to reduce failures in the future. Some of the component temperatures have been running too high, leading to premature failure of various components, including the wireless, the graphics display hardware, and others.

Collapse -
I'm dealing with my neighbor on a V2000 model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: It's a common problem

It's a 4 year old laptop and the wifi has gone unstable. We are well past your usual laptop lifespan so we'll be installing a Wifi PC-Card.

It will arrive this week and when it's over I'll share the results.

Bob

Collapse -
The results are in. SCORE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Compaq Presario V6000 fix
by natalie_284 / May 8, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

I gave up on our computer after messing with hp without any success until I read your post. I don't know much about wifi cards, so will any wifi card "fix" the laptop so it recognizes the Internet connection? Our laptop used to not recognize wireless but would still connect if plugged in to the internet. Now it won't connect either way. Will a wifi card work? Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
For A Laptop, Use A USB Wireless Dongle
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

USB wireless adapters plug into a USB port on the laptop, and after installing drivers and the software that accompanies the device, it should allow you to access an internet signal. There are both wireless USB adapters and ethernet (plug-in) USB adapters. A couple of examples are below:

http://www.target.com/p/belkin-n150-usb-wireless-adapter-black-f9l1001-tg/-/A-13524664

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-USB-Ethernet-Adapter/12321722

If the above steps don't help, please recognize that you've buried your post in an EIGHT year old thread and few will see it.. Start a new topic in this forum and be sure to give pertinent information about your computer.. Make and model, operating system being used, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks!
by natalie_284 / May 8, 2013 6:16 AM PDT

Thanks!

Collapse -
Find a fix?
by kristinelowe / March 2, 2008 3:23 AM PST

Just wondering if you figured out how to fix the wireless problem. I have the same computer and this morning, the same problem. Would appreciate any advice you could give me!

Collapse -
replaced the card once, second one just failed
by joelcw / April 13, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

After spending an hour wih HP tech help (went through 2 technicians) I got them to send me a new card. Worked great for about 2 months, started failing again. At this point, I'm pretty sure they won't replace it. What can I say? Broadcom makes a lousy card. On top of it, the model Presario I bought only has an ExpressCard/54 slot, so I can't use a PCMCIA wireless adapter. Try finding an ExpressCard wireless adapter for under $100.. USB seems to be my only option, but past exprerience with USB wireless hasn't been great.
First and last time I will ever buy an HP/Compaq.

Collapse -
Express card for cheap?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Its a software problem, the hardware is fine
by aussomea / September 12, 2008 4:32 AM PDT

There is a good chance that this is a software problem, NOT a hardware problem like most people keep saying. My wireless went out on my Presario V6120 very shortly after installing... you guessed it.. Microsoft Windows Updates.

After trying to reinstall the drivers, trying to do system restores, and messing around with it for forever, I finally tried backing up all my files, and reinstalling Vista to square one using System Recovery.

Now my WIFI works!!

This worked great for me since I didn't really care about loosing programs (I didn't have that many that took long to setup installed) and I backed up all of my files. Its like my computer is brand new again.

To do System Recovery, hit start and type system recovery in the search bar. Click the program that comes up. Create the recovery DVDs, insert disk one and restart your computer.

Good luck. Hopefully people find this because I know tons of people have had this same problem.

Collapse -
but...
by omgstef / September 18, 2008 4:36 PM PDT

but if this a constant thing, do you have to reformat every time it happens? this is so annoying!

Collapse -
Hint System Restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: but...

Even in Vista it works for me to go back to when it worked. However I've seen it where the reinstall of the OS doesn't fix it. Then again there will be someone it worked for and you can always hope it works for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Mine just turned Red (or Amber..whatever that color is)
by ohcee / November 4, 2008 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: but...

My Presario V6000 has been out for a while with a corrupt hard drive, I got a larger drive installed it and my wireless is gone!
Stays red the whole time. I need help as I am not really tech savvy. I am stalling on getting the usb thingy becasue it defeats the whole coolness of having an inbuilt wireless.

Collapse -
Sounds Like You Need To Install WiFi Drivers
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 4, 2008 5:22 AM PST

..or at least install the correct WiFi drivers for your machine.. Visit the computer manufacturer's website and download, then install the latest driver for your wireless device.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:
by ohcee / November 4, 2008 5:39 AM PST

I would do that if I can get back on the internet with the laptop. Thanks.

Collapse -
Use A Friend Or Family Member's Computer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 4, 2008 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

..to download the required driver. Copy it to a CD or flash drive, then transfer it to your machine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Never buy a Compaq computer again
by walker1233 / November 12, 2008 2:56 PM PST

This is the solution to the HP/Compaq laptop.
Don't buy any other stuff from them.
With my V6000 (V6030US) laptop I had first a problem with the battery.
Battery went down after 1 week.
Spent a lot of time with their support finally got a new one.
The new one went dead in 1h.

Now the wireless module is dead too.
It's not a software issue.
Reinstalled the OS, tried everything possible, even the ?30seconds power button pressing?.

It's gone because it's a miserable piece of **** made in China.

Bye,bye Compaq.See you later HP!

Collapse -
FREE SOLUTION-Wireless doesnt work - Compaq Presario V6000
by robautry / December 8, 2008 6:10 AM PST

Hooray for HP!! I too experienced the same problems with my three year old Presario V6000. After reading a couple of posts; someone mentioned they contacted HP & shipped the pc to them for repairs & received it back within 10 days!? I was very skeptical & begun the long process of my call being routed all over India & then finally reached a HP associate in Missouri; here in the STATES!!! (Approx 45min call) I told him nicely, "My laptop's wireless no longer works and was no longer under the one year warranty. However, I had read on-line that HP is aware of this problem & has fixed these laptops because it is a known major problem. He walked me through a couple of steps on my laptop & determined it was the motherboard. Yikes, even worse I thought!! He said he would send a FedEx box, postage paid, ship the pc to HP & I would get it back in 10 business days once received. Sure enough, the next day I got the box, sent it to HP & low-and-behold THREE days later the laptop is back in my hands working like a charm!! For FREE, even the shipping!! They also cleaned the laptop making it look brand new again! My 2yr old sons fingerprints are gone.........for now at least. Lastly, have your case # handy, once given, because you WILL get dropped in India. Just keep telling them your case # instead of explaining the problem over & over. Once a gain THANK YOU HP!! Your customer service is OUTSTANDING!!

Collapse -
i may have fixed the problem.
by tcn-7 / December 30, 2009 1:53 PM PST

i have had the same problem on this same laptop for almost a year, but i decided to update the bios, and install windows 7. the wifi did not work and it seemed as if i was completely out of luck, as i was using a usb adapter i didnt really care. after using the laptop with the usb adapter the computer found new hardware, i waited for the drivers to install and what do you know the light turned blue. after using the laptop with new bios and windows 7 for 1 day my wifi seemed to have randomly fixxed its self. i thought this was strange and of course i have left it on for a week straight to see if the wifi would stop working again then i shut it off and turned it on a few times. i have been using the laptop for 2 weeks now and my wifi has been working 100% perfectly since that date. so try this method and if it doesnt work just keep using the laptop it might just work one day.

Collapse -
Possible Fix
by ChunkyFunk / March 23, 2010 4:07 AM PDT

I was fixing my friends V6000 and the wireless seemed to be working fine when I first got it. I had to install a lot of updates for vista as it seemed it hadnt been updated since purchase. After nearly 12 hours of updating everything seemed fine until I noticed the wireless adapter had vanished from device manager and was not found when I used search for new hardware.

I tried alot of things like reinstalling the drivers etc. with no luck whatsoever. It didnt help that I was reading all over the place on the net that this was a hardware problem for these laptops. I was just about to give up when I gave it one last try and went into the BIOS , restored it to the default settings, restarted the computer and hey presto vista detected new hardware and installed the wireless adapter and everything works fine now.

Collapse -
False Alarm
by ChunkyFunk / March 23, 2010 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible Fix

Scratch that last post, after a few restarts and a few windows updates it just vanished again back to square one .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.